Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2023 7:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma]
For real time updates, click the link on the bottom of this page.

https://www.nicswatchnj.com

eta: Update - the owner of the above NICS link doesn't plan on keeping the domain when it expires in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
FOUR DAYS of backlog?!  Geez...
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tom488:
FOUR DAYS of backlog?!  Geez...
View Quote
Apparently the "I" in NICS means something quite different in Trenton than it does to the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#4]
Up until this fall, I hadn't bought a gun since before FTF transactions were legal. Much had changed apparently. Having ordered a few pistols, I drove to my FFL and filled out the NICs paperwork and he says ok I'll see you in 3 days.

I looked at him like .

He says, "oh right, you haven't done this in a while."

I had no idea that instant had been re-defined to mean 3-4 days in the years since I last purchased from a FFL.

A right delayed is a right denied, but there are bigger fish to fry for now.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I miss those days when it took 15 to 30 minutes to get approval from NICS.  Come to think of it I bought my first couple of pistols before NICS was even a thought. All I had to do was fill out a form, pay and walk out with my purchase but that was in a free state and not in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCM308] [#6]
2003ish when I bought my first guns. 2 pistols and a rifle. Manny at the Bullet Hole spent maybe a minute on the telephone and I was out the door… smh

I just waited 30 days for 3 PPs but lemme wait another 3 days for another background check that I just had done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the turn around time for pistol permits? I applied for 2 last week.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fly223:
What's the turn around time for pistol permits? I applied for 2 last week.
View Quote

That's going to depend largely on your muni. I had mine turned around in about 3 weeks, but it should be noted that the detective in my muni has his shit together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

That's going to depend largely on your muni. I had mine turned around in about 3 weeks, but it should be noted that the detective in my muni has his shit together.
View Quote

Copy that..  Hope our Det. has his or her shit together.. A few just retired, and new Detectives were just put into the mix. Thanks for the reply..
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fly223:

Copy that..  Hope our Det. has his or her shit together.. A few just retired, and new Detectives were just put into the mix. Thanks for the reply..
View Quote

Quick correction, it was 10 days, not 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#11]
New York state is now using the same company for NICS as New Jersey.

Tyler Technologies Aids New York State Police in Implementation of Stronger Background Checks for Firearms

New York marks the second state to implement Tyler's State Firearm POC Background Check after New Jersey.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Update - the owner of the NICS link in the OP doesn't plan on keeping the website. So if the link is broken in the near future, you know the reason.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I was impressed by their monitoring, so I was disappointed when I saw this post a few months ago.     We took the initiative to launch a similar platform which you can access it at https://www.njnics.com.  We just launched this site a few days ago but we're still working on improvements.    Any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hawk1776:
I was impressed by their monitoring, so I was disappointed when I saw this post a few months ago.     We took the initiative to launch a similar platform which you can access it at https://www.njnics.com.  We just launched this site a few days ago but we're still working on improvements.    Any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote
I just checked and the original site I posted is still up but I definitely like your new site. I like the state / federal breakdowns and the links to the different 2A organizations. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and in my opinion hitting a home run.  If you're a member of the Syndicate page you may want to post it there as well. Hopefully in the future we won't need such sites because there wont be any delays. Again, thanks for your good work in setting up the new site and for making your first post here memorable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Really appreciate the feedback!   Here's an quick update.   The original website owner directly reached out to me after this post and we decided to work together going forward.    Expect to see some really interesting stuff in the future.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Good to hear that Hunter reached out to you. I'm looking forward to see what you two come up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top