BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/6/2023 3:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma]

excerpt:

As noted earlier, I have some discretion in determining whether to consolidate the three cases. At the present time, two of the three cases (Association and Ellman) are assigned to me. Based on the similarities and parties outlined above, it is appropriate to consolidate for coordination of discovery, and once it is completed, to determine whether consolidation is the best method for disposition.

On the other hand, the Attorney General keeps moving the goalposts on the length of the delay necessary to develop the evidence and conduct discovery. My recollection is that in September, 2022, the Attorney General informally requested a few months; that timeframe grew to nine months in a submission in November, 2022; and now, there has been a rumor that he intends to ask for a year to complete discovery. (ECF No. 129). This simply cannot occur. Judge Matey is fearful that the proceedings may last another four years. (ECF No. 109, p. 9 of 9). If we adhere to the Attorney General's moving timeline, Judge Matey may be correct.

The development of historical evidence and discovery will be expedited by consolidating for coordination of discovery. After discovery is complete, I will revisit the issue to determine if consolidation is appropriate for disposition of the case. Magistrate Judge Goodman shall oversee discovery, and the discovery schedule should consider the requests of the parties, and to the extent practicable, conform with the schedule set in the Cheeseman case.

ORDER

This matter having been brought before the Court on a motion to consolidate; and the Court having considered the briefs of the parties, and having heard oral argument on January 25, 2023; and for the reasons set forth above;

It is on this 3rd day of February, 2023;

ORDERED that the motion to consolidate (ECF No. 128) is granted; and it is further;

ORDERED that the Association (18-cv-10507), Cheeseman (22-cv-4360) and Ellman (22-cv-4397) cases are consolidated for coordination of discovery. s/Peter G. Sheridan

PETER G. SHERIDAN, U.S.D.J.
View Quote
link

eta:

Oral arguments for summary judgement rescheduled to April 11, Thursday , 4 p.m. due to today's bomb threat at the courthouse.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/7147045/association-of-new-jersey-rifle-pistol-clubs-inc-v-grewal/
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
AWB update.

Ellman v Platkin is one of the two AWB cases which have not yet been consolidated with the mag ban case. I guess the judge wants to hear all the arguments before deciding whether to consolidate or not.

TEXT ORDER setting a Telephone Conference for 3/2/2023 at 3:00 PM before Magistrate Judge Lois H. Goodman. The Court will provide counsel with dial in information by 3/1/2023. Counsel is directed to confer on a Discovery Plan and submit it to the Court five days before the scheduled Telephone Conference. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Lois H. Goodman on 2/7/2023. (ijf, ) (Entered: 02/07/2023)
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info/update
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mag Ban Case Update

The case is extended into October and beyond. It's not the trial but only discovery in the case!!! This has been going on since 2018, all the way up to the Supreme Court and back down post Bruen. What B.S.

link

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The douche bags in Trenton are concerned that their unconstitutional law gets a tro against and it's taking to long but their fine with slow walking this since 2018????

Question why have we filed for a tro against enforcement of this obviously unconstitutional law as well?  The supremes kicked it back down?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, the Supreme's remanded the cases back to the lower courts so they can judge them in a post Bruen world and in my opinion the courts are dragging all this out for one reason or another. The exception of course is Judge Bumb and the carry killer law.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#7]
NJ AWB Case Update | CHEESEMAN v. PLATKIN, 1:22-cv-04360

"TEXT ORDER: Upon due consideration of the State Defendants request to file a motion to strike certain deposition errata and supplemental expert materials served by plaintiffs, and for the reasons discussed during the 9/27/23 conference call in these cases, the Court denies the request as presented. Defendants may, however, incorporate any objections to the materials at issue, and any requests that the Court strike or disregard them, into their forthcoming Daubert and summary judgment briefing. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge J. Brendan Day on 9/28/2023. (cry) (Entered: 09/28/2023)"
View Quote

link

Mark Cheeseman:

The discovery cut-off in the case was on August 31. Now, the parties' cross-motions for summary judgment are slated to be filed by Oct 6 Summary judgment briefing will fully present the case to the court, but will take several months (set to end in December). Once that is concluded, we should get a full opinion from the Court sometime thereafter, but there is no way of knowing exactly how long the Court will take to rule.
That is where this case stands as of today.
View Quote

Hopefully some good news on the horizon concerning
Firearms Policy Coalition assault weapons ban case. Summary judgment coming in Oct. Yes this includes the mag ban as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2023 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
so whats all that mean ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Status quo until probably March I'd guess
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
March... or Never lol lol
ill be in PA. doing cool shit with normal mags.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 6:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#11]
Finally -- Action in Mag Ban/AW Ban Cases!

link
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 10:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#12]

eta:

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I think I read in an announcement that it might be coming 11/5? I'll see if I can find the notification.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

I think I read in an announcement that it might be coming 11/5? I'll see if I can find the notification.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I vaguely remember something about 11/5 but it gets all so confusing and a chore to keep up with all the different cases in the District and the 3rd circuit cases. If Platkin replies by 11/3 to the summary judgement motions made by Anjrpc and FPC then the judge could possibly issue a ruling by 11/5 on the combined cases without any trial which should've been done in my opinion the moment Scotus GVR'd the cases back to the lower courts.

Here's an excerpt of a  John Petrolino article on the recent Mag/AWB cases:

N.J. magazine and 'assault weapons' cases get a little movement

Whatever decision may come in these cases, an appeal up to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals is expected. It's doubtful that if ANJRPC et.al. are victorious New Jersey will just take a knee as they should. The Murph and New Jersey's anti-gun elite are too arrogant to allow us peasants to get a "W" on their watch without a fight. The pinko control freaks collectively have lost their clothes and they're full steam ahead   regardless of legalities, constitutionality, optics, or more importantly morals.

link

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The mag ban isn’t going anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
The mag ban isn’t going anywhere.
View Quote

I would have agreed with you pre-2022 (Bruen), but it's a whole new world, especially considering recent events in CA.

Yes, they will go kicking and screaming, but I really think there is a shred of hope where there was none before.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
i thought I read California can keep the mag ban.
and Supreme Court NY can keep their sensitive places. did I read it wrong ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
i thought I read California can keep the mag ban.
and Supreme Court NY can keep their sensitive places. did I read it wrong ?
View Quote

I believe I read that the circus court over there stayed the injunction temporarily while it goes to higher court.

NY I have no clue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]
i just feel we are beating a dead horse
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The 9th and 2nd circuits are the ones playing games with their stays until trial with their mag and sensitive places. Our mag ban and AWB cases are proceeding slowly in the district court but believe it or not our sensitive places appeal in the 3rd circuit is moving much faster than other cases.

We have to remember that those in power want us to be dependent on them from cradle to grave. They don't want us to be independent, self reliant, armed and informed citizens.

If we win any of our cases, New Jersey will keep on appealing until either we give up or the anti-2A politicians get kicked out of office.

In the meantime we have to ask ourselves what we are doing to help our cause to win our rights back?  In other words how important are your rights to you?

If you think being a member of Arfcom or posting on the NJ HTF is enough, well you're wrong.  Have you joined any other pro 2A groups that are actually fighting for the restoral of our 2A rights?  Donating time and / or money is pretty cheap if you consider the alternative.

Some excellent groups worth considering are FPC, CNJFO, SAF, NJ2AS, Anjrpc, etc.

If you're strapped for cash consider joining the various NJ county ccw groups and other 2A online groups to find out what's happening locally and nationally.

We can all do something to regain our rights.

The one thing we should never do is to let NJ or anyone else demoralize us to where we give up and do nothing.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#21]
i been donating for 30 years. i guess why quit now ? hehe
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#22]
i been donating for 30 years. i guess why quit now ? hehe
View Quote

Your donations over the years got us Bruen and ccw in NJ and I thank you. No one said it would be quick or easy but for the first time in our lifetimes we're actually winning. That's a good thing not only for us but for our children and their children. For anyone that hasn't realized yet, the fight for our rights will never end because there will always be someone that will try to take them away. It sux but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
ANJRPC Seeks Judgement in Mag Ban and Assault Weapons Cases

The request for summary judgment includes an elegant and simple summary of the case distilled into four principle statements:

The Firearms And Magazines That New Jersey Has Banned Are "Arms."
The Arms That New Jersey Has Banned Are Typically Possessed By Law Abiding Citizens For Lawful Purposes, Including Self-Defense.
There Is No Historical Tradition In This Country Of Banning Arms That Millions Of Law-Abiding Citizens Own For Lawful Purposes.
The Magazine Ban is an Unconstitutional Taking.
View Quote

The State has until November 3 to submit its response which will be followed by two further rounds of briefings, concluding on December 22. According to the ANJRPC statement, oral arguments are likely to be held in early 2024 and, regardless of outcome, the cases are likely to be appealed by either party.
View Quote

News2A
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#24]
This video discusses the recent motion for summary judgement in the AWB and mag ban cases.

Motion to End NJ Gun Ban & Magazine Restriction!

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
This decision in California has been stayed for 10 days by judge Benitez for the state to appeal to the 9th circus. Whatever happens, judge Benitez's decision will be good for our case in NJ.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/cheeseman

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#27]
AG Platkin is still at it. The following has nothing to do with our mag case or NJ's mag ban but I figured I'd put it here to show what we're up against.

New Jersey AG Continues Support for Ban on Standard Capacity Magazines

TRENTON   Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin of New Jersey and Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell announced their leadership in a coalition of 15 other attorneys general, backing California's efforts to limit standard-capacity magazines (SCMs). The coalition filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in support of California's SCM prohibition, asserting its alignment with the Second Amendment.
View Quote
Attorney General Platkin emphasized that states have the constitutional right to implement gun restrictions for public safety. He pointed out that LCMs, often used in mass shootings, are not suitable for self-defense.
The attorney general says LCMs are not protected under the Second Amendment, as they are not "arms" and are not commonly used for self-defense. Their usage in gun violence leads to higher casualties.
View Quote

link

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Demeroma:
AG Platkin is still at it. The following has nothing to do with our mag case or NJ's mag ban but I figured I'd put it here to show what we're up against.

link

View All Quotes

TRENTON   Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin of New Jersey and Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell announced their leadership in a coalition of 15 other attorneys general, backing California's efforts to limit standard-capacity magazines (SCMs). The coalition filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in support of California's SCM prohibition, asserting its alignment with the Second Amendment.
Attorney General Platkin emphasized that states have the constitutional right to implement gun restrictions for public safety. He pointed out that LCMs, often used in mass shootings, are not suitable for self-defense.
The attorney general says LCMs are not protected under the Second Amendment, as they are not "arms" and are not commonly used for self-defense. Their usage in gun violence leads to higher casualties.

link

That's streight out of the Nazi playbook for when they took the arms from the people of Austria.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
And this some shock too you about the AG..

Just look at the State Police uniform should tell you everything already...

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
More on AG Platkin's amicus brief to ban mags in California.

New Jersey Attorney General Leads Battle in Opposition of SCOTUS on Magazine Capacities

Grant, vacate, and remand; that was the order from the United States Supreme Court on New Jersey's magazine capacity restriction lawsuit and three other cases. The case, Association New Jersey Rifle, et al v. Attorney General New Jersey, et al., made its way all the way to the high court, with ANJRPC seeking to have a lower court's decision reversed. N.J. Attorney General Matt Platkin recently announced he's a co-leader on an amicus brief coalition, in support of California's nearly identical magazine capacity restrictions.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Now an amicus brief from AG Platkin for California's AWB.

NJ and MA Attorneys General Spearhead Coalition to Defend State Assault Weapons Bans

In the brief, the attorneys general present a tripartite argument supporting the constitutionality of California's ban:

Public Safety and Reasonable Restrictions: States have the authority to impose limitations on weapons, accessories, and ammunition that are not essential for self-defense and pose community risks. This includes assault weapons like AR-15 and AK-47-style rifles, which are particularly lethal in mass shootings.
Second Amendment and Self-Defense: Contrary to the District Court's viewpoint, evidence suggests that assault weapons, designed for military use, are unsuitable for self-defense and thus fall outside Second Amendment protection.
Historical Precedent for Weaponry Regulation: The ban aligns with historical practices of regulating potentially dangerous weapons. Historical regulations, such as gunpowder storage laws, have aimed at preventing public safety threats by limiting access to excessive weaponry.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Any further news on the mags? I was in a holster class for my range last night and someone mentioned we should know something within 30 days..
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fly223:
Any further news on the mags? I was in a holster class for my range last night and someone mentioned we should know something within 30 days..
View Quote
The latest in the mag ban case is that a couple of days ago AG Platkin got permission from the District court to file a 45 page brief because of the recent rulings in different District courts. Don't forget that the mag case was consolidated with the two AWB cases complicating the whole process. It would be nice if a decision comes down within 30 days but I wouldn't count on it.

LETTER ORDER granting leave for State Defendants to file a reply brief of up to 45 pages. Signed by Judge Peter G. Sheridan on 1/17/2024. (kht) (Entered: 01/17/2024)

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#35]
The latest in the mag ban case is that a couple of days ago AG Platkin got permission from the District court to file a 45 page brief because of the recent rulings in different District courts. Don't forget that the mag case was consolidated with the two AWB cases complicating the whole process. It would be nice if a decision comes down within 30 days but I wouldn't count on it.

LETTER ORDER granting leave for State Defendants to file a reply brief of up to 45 pages. Signed by Judge Peter G. Sheridan on 1/17/2024. (kht) (Entered: 01/17/2024)

View All Quotes

Great, thanks...
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]
AWB / Mag ban update:

Yesterday the state of New Jersey filed its reply brief in support of summary judgment in the Cheeseman AWB / ANJRPC Mag ban cases.
For a good laugh read the Table of Contents and then see if you can find all the contradictions in the 56 pages.

link  

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
AWB / Mag ban update:

Letter from AG Platkin to the District court in regards to Anjrpc v Platkin; Cheeseman v Platkin and Ellman v Platkin stating that he doesn't disagree with the Lara case in Pennsylvania where 18 - 20 year olds can open carry but he argues that NJ can still ban AWB's and mags.

link
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]

I don't know about this strategy. We should be going after all the low hanging fruit while the getting is good.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#40]
so are they giving up on the mag ban ? low hanging fruit lol . sounds like taking a knee to me.
lets skip the tough fights.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#41]
so are they giving up on the mag ban ?

No.

low hanging fruit lol . sounds like taking a knee to me.
lets skip the tough fights.

Definitely not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#42]
ill take mags over bayonet lugs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#43]
ill take mags over bayonet lugs.
View Quote
You'll take mags AND bayonet lugs and like it!

It's the 2A way.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Latest update:

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
your not getting neither in NJ. sorry to break the news to you.
see how it went for Illinois. SCOTUS told them suck it too.

You'll take mags AND bayonet lugs and like it!

It's the 2A way.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Aye. That IL case dashed my hopes. Not even sure how that was possible given Bruen, and yet here we are.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#47]

View Quote

Aye. That IL case dashed my hopes. Not even sure how that was possible given Bruen, and yet here we are.
View Quote

Before accepting the "Aloha Spirit" I'll wait and see what happens with the Cert that was recently filed with SCOTUS in the Illinois case.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#48]
It's probably going to be a while before we hear anything...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#49]
It's probably going to be a while before we hear anything...
View Quote
It's funny how certain courts rapidly announce stays on cases in favor of the status quo but take their sweet time before rendering a decision that should be pro 2A.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#50]

We're getting down to the short strokes

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top