Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 10:21:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IADPE]
As part of his resignation from NRA EVP, it was reported that WLP negotiated a $17M “post employment contract.” Not bad for a guy who was then under indictment (later found guilty) for misappropriating association funds to the tune of $5M.

I think Wayne did a lot of good for the NRA and 2A, so have tried to cut him some slack, but also felt it was “time for him to go.” Nonetheless, when I heard of that $17M sweetheart deal I was incensed.

I sent an email via NRA to our two Iowa BOD members, Clel Baudler and Craig Swartz to understand the reasoning behind the payout. To date I have not received a response from either. Whether this is a breakdown at NRA HQ or individuals hiding behind their emails is impossible to tell, but what IS evident is that the NRA BOD system is broken, unresponsive to members, and in need of complete overhaul. The BOD is too large to be effective and most candidates are hand picked to perpetuate WLP’s fiefdom. Other than approving WLP’s agenda, I’m not sure what they do… Does the BOD set the course for NRA, or does WLP’s minions set it and they “go along?”

Mind you, I’m not knocking what these folks might do as individuals (Craig has sat outside the DSM Gunshow for years recruiting new NRA Members), but as a board, what do they do?

I’m now reading that the reported $17M contract was not true, BUT, it would have been nice to hear that from Clel and Craig.

It is time We The People take back our organization, and it starts by voting for reform candidates, and ONLY for reform candidates. Here is a start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Reformers-to-be-on-NRA-ballot/156-2688219/

NRA’s BOD elections are best won by “bullet voting,” so only vote for the candidates you actually want, not all 25 open positions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CatfishHunter] [#1]
When I first heard about the severance package for WLP reportedly amounting to $17mil, I was pretty angry as well.  Sounds like those figures were NOT correct though, and I should do more research before being baited by someone with an anti-NRA agenda.

With that said, I agree that it is time to clean house and get some new leadership, if the organization wants to stay viable.  We will see if the NRA can correct it's course and stay in the fight.  We, as a 2A community, need every ally we can get.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The NRA Board has been hand picked for years.  I'm sure there are some good ones on the board but it's hard to sort out who.  Frankly all of them are complicit in this mess, it's their job to ask hard questions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I just got off the phone with Clel.  I sent him a text to ask about the 17mil when I saw this post and he quickly called me back.   We go way back and I just live in the neighboring county from him.  He has been a friend of mine for decades from shooting competitively and our past LE careers.  

He had heard some of the same rumors floating around, didn't think it sounded right and he also had inquired about the actual details from someone who knows.  Basically the long and short of the outcome is WLP has to pay the NRA back ~5.4 million, he gets NO golden parachute.  Woody the Treasurer has to pay back the NRA ~2 million.  So basically the NY Attorney General Laticia James  recovered 7 plus million for the NRA in her bid to damage them.  

Hope this helps put to rest some of the stories going around.  

Full disclosure I still believe the NRA has done more damage to the 2nd Amendment than any other organization in the last decade plus.  Yes I am a life member, not proud of that any more, but was back in the 80-90's.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top