Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 8:52:55 AM EDT
I was thinking about taking a week shooting vacation and going there june or july.

Was curious from people who have been is the calendar pretty much set by now?

How busy is it?

I called and got a guy who must have had a ruff morning he said it was the worst time to come….

So hoping maybe locals could tell me the best time to go???

I haven’t had any luck finding places open during the week you can shoot to 1k suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry bro, I’ve never been there, so I don’t know anything about it.

Lived here most of my life, but I don’t go to Northern NM much. Never really had much interest in anything up there.

I wish you luck though & hopefully someone chimes in with some info for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
There are matches at the center, look at their calendar for more details.22 prone to 50 caliber.  There are cabins, but they maybe booked by now.

The staff is super friendly and helpful. They have a good gift shop and a museum of firearms. They also sell guns and ammo. No sales tax.

Antelope and deer wander about undisturbed, if you go takes lots of ammo
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We go at least two times a year for a week each visit.
May; (Memorial Day Weekend) visit is for the NM state trap championships, usually windy with cool mornings.
September; Fall colors, elk bugling, cool mornings.

We stay in the RV park and make day trips from there.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s awesome, you should make the trip. Bring a lot of ammo. Have fun. Stop in the Cold Beer for a slice! Pepperoni/ green chilie pizza is 10/10. And it’s close to the Whit.

Bring a 4x4 and check out Carson NF.

Go check out Casa Grande at Vermejo, maybe have lunch there at the ranch. Call ahead first.

The Aztec Mill museum in Cimarron is pretty neat.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The Dawson cemetery is near Cold Beer also and worth the short drive to see.
The St James hotel in Cimarron is a must see, we usually have lunch there, their Frito Pie is the BOMB, highly recommend but be warned that the hotel itself is extremely haunted.
You can take a scenic drive thru the Valle Vidal and loop around thru Costilla and then south to Questa then east to Red River to Eagle Nest and then back to Cimarron and the Whittington.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bosqueboy:
The Dawson cemetery is near Cold Beer also and worth the short drive to see.
The St James hotel in Cimarron is a must see, we usually have lunch there, their Frito Pie is the BOMB, highly recommend but be warned that the hotel itself is extremely haunted.
You can take a scenic drive thru the Valle Vidal and loop around thru Costilla and then south to Questa then east to Red River to Eagle Nest and then back to Cimarron and the Whittington.
View Quote

Checks out. Valle is spectacular.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:34:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NEShooter53] [#7]
Make sure to try your hand at the
White Buffalo target at 1123 yards.
They don’t allow anyone to shoot any magnum calibers at it though.
When I went on my antelope hunt a few years ago; shooting the white buffalo was a must do thing while there. I did get it done with both 6.5 creedmoor’s I brought along for the antelope hunt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Also. unless its changed.
556 is only allowed on the High power range   or the slight in range

SS109 types damage the steel silhouettes

There are signs at all the ranges  please read the rules
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top