Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2024 3:03:12 PM EDT
Does anybody have any machine chop suggestions for working on a Ford engine?

Like the title says, I’m looking from the Birmingham metro area and east along I-20, could go up I-59 a ways if needed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of machining you need done?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By notso:
What kind of machining you need done?
View Quote

I’m wanting to rebuild an old 302. I’ve never had any work done before so I’m not 100% sure what all to ask for. I’ll do more researching on what to ask for or what should be done.

I know I want to get the block checked out, cylinders bored and honed, heads ported and polished plus opened up to the gasket dimensions, deck and heads checked for any signs of bend/twist, journals aligned, rotating assembly balanced, etc. because I’m putting in a cam, new exhaust system, and intake.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotcha. So you will need a good engine shop. While most of that can be done just at a machine shop, a lot of that will be specialized beyond just "here drawing, make part"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#4]
Instead of porting the stock heads by a set of aftermarket heads Edlebrock has some good options as do others  porting iron heads is labor intensive unless they have a cnc and a program already written. Also look at the Summit crate engines as well as the Ford factory engines . Usually most machine shops have very little warranty.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Instead of porting the stock heads by a set of aftermarket heads Edlebrock has some good options as do others  porting iron heads is labor intensive unless they have a cnc and a program already written. Also look at the Summit crate engines as well as the Ford factory engines . Usually most machine shops have very little warranty.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure that the engine block is good and the current heads are good. It’s just been sitting for years so I want it gone through.

The goal is to make over 300hp, should make for a pretty fun engine in an old truck. Looking at the parts list, it’s still cheaper to get the parts than a new long block.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have sold engine parts in Birmingham for 33 years. Iron city machine 205-655-3777 Trussville ask for Mike. Advantage Engine Leeds 205-702-4557 ask for Ben. Precision Machine Birmingham 205-323-7922 ask for Alan. All do really good work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top