Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2022 7:10:01 PM EDT
I want to get a non-resident CCW permit that allows me to carry in MN and WA, and doesn't require me to travel back to the issuing state to renew the permit.  ND and ID appear to be the only two states that issue non-resident permits which fulfill the first requirement. ID is out because of the second requirement.

Does renewing a ND class 1 CCW permit require that the permittee visit ND to renew or can it all be done online or through the mail? I'm OK with visiting your state to take the initial training class (as a bonus it'll knock one state off my "visit all 50 states" list), but since I live on the other side of the country I don't want to have to revisit to renew. The state AG's web page seems to indicate that a visit shouldn't be necessary for renewals, but doesn't specifically say so.  I'd like to have someone confirm. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I remember, you have to retake the class every five years if you want the Class 1 license, the out of state CCW. But I’m a resident and just got the Class 1 to speed up buying guns at the store, no instant check needed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
From what I remember, you have to retake the class every five years if you want the Class 1 license, the out of state CCW. But I’m a resident and just got the Class 1 to speed up buying guns at the store, no instant check needed.
View Quote

Ugh, yeah you're right.  I found a PDF from the AG saying "In order to renew a Class 1 license, applicant must repeat ALL required testing."  Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
View Quote

You don't need a class 1 to use for the NICS check.  I've had my permit since before there was a class 1 & 2.  I only found out they had created 2 different categories years ago when I went to renew & had to check if it was a class 1 or 2.  I've never done a NICS check since I had my permit before there was such a thing as a NICS check & that didn't change after they switched to 2 classes.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 11C1P:

You don't need a class 1 to use for the NICS check.  I've had my permit since before there was a class 1 & 2.  I only found out they had created 2 different categories years ago when I went to renew & had to check if it was a class 1 or 2.  I've never done a NICS check since I had my permit before there was such a thing as a NICS check & that didn't change after they switched to 2 classes.  
View Quote

Yea, I don’t think they care if it’s 1 or 2, the dealer just makes a photo copy and attaches to the 4473. But I also got the 1 to carry in Minnesota when I go over the river to fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top