Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2024 5:40:59 AM EDT
ONB shooting victims sue RFC

What a crock of shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I am no fan of River City, the owner once told me he could care less about local, repeat business. So, happy if it is anyone then it is them.

But, sets a bad precedent for sure.  Just someone has no idea about what gun to buy is no reason to think they are sketchy. Home defense? maybe a sketchy reason but can't discount them for being stupid.   Seen so many stupid people with guns that its not even funny.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CbtEngr1:
Well I am no fan of River City, the owner once told me he could care less about local, repeat business. So, happy if it is anyone then it is them.

But, sets a bad precedent for sure.  Just someone has no idea about what gun to buy is no reason to think they are sketchy. Home defense? maybe a sketchy reason but can't discount them for being stupid.   Seen so many stupid people with guns that its not even funny.
View Quote

Plenty of people who hold a driver's license and buy cars, but no one sues a car dealership for a guy who bought a car to intentionally run over and kill someone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow the money and lawyers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville-gun-store-ignored-obvious-red-flags-when-old-national-bank-shooter-bought-ar-15/article_03461104-ba01-11ee-b8a2-a7955b88fd41.html

Clearly there is no bias here

Thomas said there are no plans to include the Sturgeon family in any lawsuits, saying there's nothing to say they did anything wrong. They are, however, looking "up the chain," Thomas said, at other potential lawsuits against the manufacturer of the gun or the accessories.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's more on the lawsuit
he lawsuit alleges River City Firearms, the business that sold the gun just days before last April’s shooting, fell short of their legal obligation to prevent the gun from ending up in the wrong hands.
...gun dealer ignored warning signs from the now deceased shooter....[Alla Lefkowitz, senior director of affirmative litigation at Everytown Law] described the shooter as, “a complete novice who had no idea how to hold the rifle, how to load it, who’s acting oddly in the store, averting his gaze, speaking in hush tones.” She said that should have been enough. “These are all indicators that federally licensed firearm dealers are trained to look for.”
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Here's more on the lawsuit
he lawsuit alleges River City Firearms, the business that sold the gun just days before last April’s shooting, fell short of their legal obligation to prevent the gun from ending up in the wrong hands.
...gun dealer ignored warning signs from the now deceased shooter....[Alla Lefkowitz, senior director of affirmative litigation at Everytown Law] described the shooter as, “a complete novice who had no idea how to hold the rifle, how to load it, who’s acting oddly in the store, averting his gaze, speaking in hush tones.” She said that should have been enough. “These are all indicators that federally licensed firearm dealers are trained to look for.”
View Quote

How do they know how the POS was behaving at the store? Did someone at RCF share that info?

This is what the terrorist POS who did the killing wanted. He stated his motivation was to damage the gun industry and restrict gun rights.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:

How do they know how the POS was behaving at the store? Did someone at RCF share that info?

This is what the terrorist POS who did the killing wanted. He stated his motivation was to damage the gun industry and restrict gun rights.
View All Quotes

Saw this in a few other places:
https://www.wave3.com/2024/01/22/family-old-national-bank-shooting-victims-survivors-file-lawsuit-against-river-city-firearms/
The lawsuit claims that while at River City Firearms, the shooter was acting so strange that another customer considered calling police herself. The lawsuit describes Connor Sturgeon, 25, as appearing embarrassed, avoiding eye contact while lowering his head to avert anyone's gaze and speaking in an unusually quiet tone. The witness stated that it was also apparent that he had a complete lack of knowledge or experience with firearms, including how to use them.

When news of the shooting broke, the lawsuit stated the witness immediately turned to her husband and said, "I bet it's that kid from the store."
Would be interesting to know who this person is and why they were in the store

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By scottr:
https://www.wave3.com/2024/01/22/family-old-national-bank-shooting-victims-survivors-file-lawsuit-against-river-city-firearms/

View All Quotes

The lawsuit claims that while at River City Firearms, the shooter was acting so strange that another customer considered calling police herself. The lawsuit describes Connor Sturgeon, 25, as appearing embarrassed, avoiding eye contact while lowering his head to avert anyone's gaze and speaking in an unusually quiet tone. The witness stated that it was also apparent that he had a complete lack of knowledge or experience with firearms, including how to use them.

When news of the shooting broke, the lawsuit stated the witness immediately turned to her husband and said, "I bet it's that kid from the store."

"That witness, the lawsuit said, turned to her husband upon hearing there was a mass shooting April 10 and said "I bet it's that kid from the store."
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

"That witness, the lawsuit said, turned to her husband upon hearing there was a mass shooting April 10 and said "I bet it's that kid from the store."
View Quote

So the entire lawsuit is based on an interaction between a shop employee and a customer who some woman "bet(s)" was the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]

So the entire lawsuit is based on an interaction between a shop employee and a customer who some woman "bet(s)" was the shooter.
View All Quotes

Missed the part a business up sold accessories (the mortal sin) and he was new to guns
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Missed the part a business up sold accessories (the mortal sin) and he was new to guns
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Everytown's whole argument seems to be based on that RCF shouldn't have sold anything to the killer due to his behavior, though. Behavior, which according to the news articles, was only noticed by one woman who, after the fact, thinks she saw the killer being sold a gun in the shop.

Unless there's evidence that proves she was in the store at the same time, how is anyone to know she's not just making the whole story up or saw one of countless other exchanges where a awkward new gun owner, who wasn't the killer, is sold a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Interesting. They are my go to shop in Louisville. Best prices in the city. However, my only interaction with the owner was him arguing with me about details of some surplus military rifles he obviously wasn't as knowledgeable of as he thought he was.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:40:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeep29] [#13]
Found a copy of the complaint, just starting to read it...

https://interactive.whas11.com/pdfs/OldNationalSurvivors-v-RiverCityFirearms.pdf
Link
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Lots of questions about the witness now. There are a lot of details about the transaction at RCF that must have come from her even though they don't mention it

It would be good to find her statement
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeep29] [#15]
https://www.wave3.com/2024/01/25/behind-investigation-old-national-bank-lawsuit/
Link
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.wave3.com/2024/01/25/behind-investigation-old-national-bank-lawsuit/
View Quote

Where's the kid that I can buy a gun for $50 from?

Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Interesting. They are my go to shop in Louisville. Best prices in the city. However, my only interaction with the owner was him arguing with me about details of some surplus military rifles he obviously wasn't as knowledgeable of as he thought he was.
View Quote

He's my go to guy when I buy from PSA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

What an idiot
"We want to make it unsustainable for these distributors, gun manufacturers, component part manufacturers, we want to make it prohibitive for them to sell anything deadly, we want to make it a financial risk for them to do anything that causes needless death," said Romanucci.

Can't wait for the non-deadly firearms that this tool wants
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobZ71LM7] [#20]

What an idiot

View All Quotes

What an idiot
"We want to make it unsustainable for these distributors, gun manufacturers, component part manufacturers, we want to make it prohibitive for them to sell anything deadly, we want to make it a financial risk for them to do anything that causes needless death," said Romanucci.

This stuff makes me sick.  I went to high school with one of the victims (Josh Barrick), and it’s sad seeing lawyers use his loss and manipulate the families.  I know other friends of his feel the same way.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top