Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2024 8:34:50 PM EDT
Every summer, I get a glorious break from living in this cesspool of a state and go on a road trip home with my boy. We visit relatives in Tennessee along the way, which means we always drive though Ohio.

I have found a few fun and charming things in the state, but y'all may know of things I wouldn't. Part of the point of the road trip is to see and do fun things along the way, so I'm here for your insight into fun and interesting things in Ohio.

1) We've been to the AF museum in Dayton twice already, so I'm not planning on that this time.

2) I'm open to anything, but I am a city boy. I'd like to maybe spend some time in Cincinnati (or Columbus?)

3) I have a long way to go, so I try to balance fun and sightseeing with getting there in a somewhat timely manner. I am most interested in things near 75. I'll make a detour if something seems really cool, though.

4) I'm a middle aged man who likes many middle aged man things: guns, muscle cars, beer, boobs ... however, I travel with my 10yo boy, so I need things that will possibly be fun for him, or at least age appropriate.

Tell me about stuff to do/see in Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#1]
Sylvania Fossil Park is a lot of fun for kids and adults.  You can keep whatever fossils you find!  We took our kids there when they were about the age of your son; they loved it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#2]
National Museum of the Great Lakes exhibits looks very cool, haven't been there myself though.  And it's very close to Tony Packo's if you're into that sort of food.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Armstrong Air and Space Museum is a small unique space museum, haven't been to this one either, my sister has and enjoyed it quite a lot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Time it to catch a reds game & stay in cinci?  Wife & the kids loved the Newport aquarium down there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#5]
Board code sucks

Jaqa guns in Findlay

Aim surplus North of Cincinnati

Johnston farm and canal in piqua
unique guns on the way <a href="http://Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu) - Error report HTTP Status 403 -

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)" target="_blank"> lots of guns on the wayold canal system. really cool one of a kind
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll throw in Jungle Jims in Fairfield. Its maybe 15-20 min off 75? It might seem odd to recommend a market but its huge and has food and drinks literally from all over the world. You can easily spend hours there just browsing the aisles. they also have random displays and animatronics inside. I guarantee if you go you and your son will be walking out with random food, snacks, and drinks you wont get anywhere else.
Weekends are busy there btw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riddle:
I'll throw in Jungle Jims in Fairfield. Its maybe 15-20 min off 75? It might seem odd to recommend a market but its huge and has food and drinks literally from all over the world. You can easily spend hours there just browsing the aisles. they also have random displays and animatronics inside. I guarantee if you go you and your son will be walking out with random food, snacks, and drinks you wont get anywhere else.
View Quote
The first time my wife and I went to JJs we got lost trying to get out
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll add that I'm also interested in food places: restaurants with unique atmosphere, interesting food, or with some particular local flavor. It's tempting to just have quick, easy food while traveling, but I want to experience the local and unique whenever I can.

Originally Posted By Riddle:
View Quote

Thanks. That sounds really cool.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Armstrong Air and Space Museum is a small unique space museum, haven't been to this one either, my sister has and enjoyed it quite a lot.
View Quote
Small but very interesting. I was there a couple of years ago. Recommended if you are a fan of the space program.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]
this is a bit out of your way, but if you are a history buff:

D-DAY CONNEAUT
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Depending on time of year Ceder Point and/or Kings Island, 2 of the best amusement parks in the country.

Cincinnati Zoo is also one of the best in the country.

B&B Riverboat dinner cruise would be a pretty unique experience in Cincinnati.

Union Terminal if you're into trains and also has some museums (history, children's, and random traveling) and an Imax theater located there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
CMP North Store?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Topper1:
CMP North Store?
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#16]
CMP North Store?
View Quote

I'm intrigued. I've never been to one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
CMP North Store?

Check for the store hours for the dates you will be traveling. Sometimes they are closed a day or two during the week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Believe they are only open Thursday-Saturday. 8:30-4:00. If you want to buy, check out the cmp website for all the
particulars you need to have before purchasing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

If you're going to go over to Perry to see the CMP, I'd also suggest lining up stuff in the area to do. The CMP North store is a magical place, but you won't kill a LOT of time there.

Personally, I'd suggest a trip over to Put-In-Bay, especially if the Perry's Victory Monument is open when you'll be in the area. The view from the top is breathtaking. There's also some other attractions that I think you'd both find interesting, too.

Alternatively, you can take a ferry over to Kelly's island to see the Glacial grooves there and some ruins of the old limestone mining operation that user to run there. Besides those, it's a neat place to explore, more laid back than Put-In-Bay during tourist season, and a great place to grab lunch/dinner. Hell, just the ferry ride is pretty cool.

In Port Clinton is the Liberty Air Museum and the African Safari Park, both of which are pretty neat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
Believe they are only open Thursday-Saturday. 8:30-4:00. If you want to buy, check out the cmp website for all the
particulars you need to have before purchasing.
View Quote

Yeah, Thurs-Sat 8:30-4

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/#North

Eligibility requirements for CMP purchases:

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

If you're going to go over to Perry to see the CMP, I'd also suggest lining up stuff in the area to do. The CMP North store is a magical place, but you won't kill a LOT of time there.

Personally, I'd suggest a trip over to Put-In-Bay, especially if the Perry's Victory Monument is open when you'll be in the area. The view from the top is breathtaking. There's also some other attractions that I think you'd both find interesting, too.

Alternatively, you can take a ferry over to Kelly's island to see the Glacial grooves there and some ruins of the old limestone mining operation that user to run there. Besides those, it's a neat place to explore, more laid back than Put-In-Bay during tourist season, and a great place to grab lunch/dinner. Hell, just the ferry ride is pretty cool.

In Port Clinton is the Liberty Air Museum and the African Safari Park, both of which are pretty neat.
View Quote

North Coast Veterans museum in Gibsonburg, 911 memorial there also. Catawba Island museum or Twin Oast Brewing for a pint or some food. Jolly Rogers has good perch sandwiches In PC/port clinton
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The CMP has competition center with an air rifle range and hours open to the public, including kids with a parent.

https://thecmp.org/ranges/cmp-competition-centers/
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Pass through Logan, Ohio. I think Hocking Hills state park is a must-see for me. If you had to see one natural feature and spend some time I'd suggest Old Man's Cave and the hike from the Upper to Lower falls.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By safe1:
If you are coming through mid June, I might have a suggestion.
View Quote

It'll be soon after School summer break starts. I don't have the exact dates handy right now, but it'll be around the first week of June.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Hocking Hills

Spend some time in Cincy. Reds game and museum, B&B River Boat tours, zoo and the Cincy Musuem are all great!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotDeaf] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

@laxman09 ooooooo.  I need to make sure I’m around this year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bdover:

View Quote

Yeah you do. Hopefully Mr SCAR comes along as well!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Originally Posted By bdover:

Is this a shooting thing?

I would love to do shooting fun, but that's not on the agenda for this year. The boy is a bit squirrelly, so I am not ready for him to shoot yet.

His 10th birthday is next month, and I got him a .22 rifle. He's been practicing with a BB gun, and I'll take him to shoot soon, but only when I can give him undivided attention. Maybe another year and we'll be ready for something like that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
The Bailey is Rocking | CINvCHI

Hit an FC Cincinnati match. Participate in the pregame march to the match from Washington Park. Party with 26000 new friends in one of the world’s best new stadiums.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NotDeaf:
Maybe Cedar Point?
*Edit
Put in Bay
Kelley's Island
View Quote

I cant speak for Kelleys Island, but the other two are like visiting the ghetto.  I don't care to spend piles of money to be surrounded by the dregs of society.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

I cant speak for Kelleys Island, but the other two are like visiting the ghetto.  I don't care to spend piles of money to be surrounded by the dregs of society.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Originally Posted By NotDeaf:
Maybe Cedar Point?
*Edit
Put in Bay
Kelley's Island

Kelly's is less of a party destination and usually has a fairly laid back set of tourists.

Haven't been to PiB in years, but I hear it's getting pretty wild.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Kelly's is less of a party destination and usually has a fairly laid back set of tourists.

Haven't been to PiB in years, but I hear it's getting pretty wild.
View Quote

Middle bass island is small but nice as well.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top