Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 3:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777]
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/local/2024/03/18/two-men-rescued-from-hoover-reservoir-after-boat-capsizes-sunday-night-columbus-ohio-odnr/73014395007/
One man died and another was hospitalized after their boat capsized Sunday night on Hoover Reservoir.

The men were out fishing around 8 p.m. Sunday on the reservoir when the boat capsized, according to Genoa Township officials.

Fire crews managed to pull both men from the water. Both were taken to Mount Carmel St. Ann's hospital. One of the men was in critical condition and the other's condition was described as "fair," officials said.

The man who had been in critical condition died from his injuries. His name has not yet been released.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources is investigating the incident.

What is Hoover Reservoir?

Hoover Reservoir, located off of Sunbury Road near Westerville, encompasses more than 4,000 acres, including a lake that is frequently used for boating and fishing.

The park also includes options for picnics, bird watching, a disc golf course and hiking. The parks spans both Delaware and Franklin counties.

Hoover Reservoir was initially built as a water supply facility in 1955 by the city of Columbus.
View Quote

There was a drowning on Hoover last March as well; similar conditions too, high winds, choppy waves, and cold water.

Three years ago, in March or April, several paddle boaters capsized on Hoover because of the high winds, or were stuck on the water, not making progress because of the winds.  The fire department rescue squad brought in most of those capsized.

Stay off Hoover when it's cold and windy, OK?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZW17:
I was fishing in the 1000 islands NY in like May, still ice cold water. I slipped and fell in.

You have no idea how fast 30-40 degree water takes the fight out of you. I remember losing my breath like I had the wind knocked out of me by Mike Tyson. It was incredible how fast the shock of that cold water put me in a bad place.

I don’t think people realize what that cold shock does to the human body, the facebook ice bucket challenge isn’t realistic to being submerged in ice cold water.

It was impressive.
View Quote

Yup. There is a reason Spring is considered “drowning season.”

It’s nice out and people underestimate how cold the water still is.

On top of that, people underestimate the danger of cold water to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to go out on Erie with a guy who lived on the lake, bunch of guys were out there on the ice on a warmer day, turns out a big piece of ice broke away from the main body, one guy ended up hitting the water, guess he died of a heart attack fairly quick.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top