Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 12:48:26 PM EDT
Howdy.

I’m researching a visit to Bend or potentially somewhere in the mountains closer to Portland for ease of transportation.  

I’m researching my carry options.  
Can a non resident open carry without any reciprocal license?
The wording I have been reading is unclear if that only applies to residents or not.  
It also sounds like within the city limits is a no go.  

If I fly to Portland, I will be leaving the city as soon as I land and not coming back until I leave anyway.  

Would a IWB holster with a shirt tucked behind the gun leaving the top portion visible count or would I need to get a holster that leaves the entire gun visible?

Also, please confirm that 15 round magazines are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#1]
My 75 round AK drums are still good to go. The state and media is trying to hide the face the state lost their asses on the mag ban and purchasing permits.

You'll probably be fine on the east side of bend. The west side is turning into Portland and it's honestly disgusting. East side is turning into Eugene with its homeless. The roads still suck and are worse every time I go over there. Road construction and house construction going on on the east side.

Portland, don't bother with OWB. I believe we are legally restricted to concealed only in Portland and Salem. Even so, some Portland commie will lose their shit and call in a red flag and shooting rampage and all sorts of lies to have you harassed and arrested.

You'll probably want OWB for bend. The Portland transplants will eyeball you.

Honestly, bend is not really a great spot anymore. Look at lapine, prineville, Redmond (much less snow in Redmond), sisters, etc. Home and living expenses in bend are nuts, roads are trashed and not maintained, traffic is insane now, people used to be nice and polite but it's getting Portland scum and California scum now. Sadly it's turning into everything I hate about a city. Homeless, commies, traffic, rudeness, disrepair, expensive, dirty. It was awesome when I lived in that area. I don't miss bend.

Depending on what you want to mountains look further down I-5. You get out of the liberal disaster once you leave Eugene.

Lots of bad traffic decisions going on in central Oregon now making traffic much worse.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful with the above advice. Several cities and Multnomah county (i believe) have ordinances restricting open carry to concealed carry licensees only.

You won’t be hassled on the east half of the state. But you will be in the very small minority of people who open carry. It’s just not common to see in Oregon for the most part.

There are no mag restrictions in Oregon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DashDot:
Be careful with the above advice. Several cities and Multnomah county (i believe) have ordinances restricting open carry to concealed carry licensees only.

You won’t be hassled on the east half of the state. But you will be in the very small minority of people who open carry. It’s just not common to see in Oregon for the most part.

There are no mag restrictions in Oregon.
View Quote

Isn't that what I said. I-5 south of Eugene you are fine. Areas such as Portland and Salem have unconstitutional restrictions. Multnomah county is towns that are considered a suburb of Portland just like Beaverton is considered Portland. Much of the state considers everything within a distance of I5 North of Salem to be Portland.

I'd actually expect to be hassled more in bend than anywhere on I-5 south of Eugene except Ashland.

I often OC, especially after a match. I'll have my battle belt with my carry rig in it loaded out. Sometimes you just need a burger in the way home.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a .gov source of where it is legal and not?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By naes:
Is there a .gov source of where it is legal and not?
View Quote

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/or-gun-laws/?amp
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Isn't that what I said. I-5 south of Eugene you are fine. Areas such as Portland and Salem have unconstitutional restrictions. Multnomah county is towns that are considered a suburb of Portland just like Beaverton is considered Portland. Much of the state considers everything within a distance of I5 North of Salem to be Portland.

I'd actually expect to be hassled more in bend than anywhere on I-5 south of Eugene except Ashland.

I often OC, especially after a match. I'll have my battle belt with my carry rig in it loaded out. Sometimes you just need a burger in the way home.
View Quote

Yeah sorry i just meant areas like Tigard and Beaverton but didn’t know the extent of other cities. Outside of the metro area you’re much better off. It’s still rare to see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#7]

I was referring down to the county or city level in Oregon for open carry.  
I already know that y’all don’t recognize a TX LTC.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By naes:

I was referring down to the county or city level in Oregon for open carry.  
I already know that y’all don’t recognize a TX LTC.

View Quote

It’s in that link.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Great link for 2A folks. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DashDot:

It’s in that link.
View Quote

@DashDot I must be blind as I still don’t see what I am looking for.  

I see that it states that open carry is legal except cities can outlaw it.  
Does it list the places specifically that outlaw it?

I looked and don’t see it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DashDot] [#11]
Attachment Attached File

It’s way down at the bottom.

@naes
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  
Think I need to convince the Mrs that we can go look at Mountains in other states.  

I don’t like that it’s a list of examples and not a definitive list.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
You’re reading a lot more into it than you need to. 99% of the state doesn’t give a rip what you’re carrying. Land in Portland and head out. The small areas that aren’t as gun friendly don’t have good outdoor areas. The rest is gtg for open carry if you feel like you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top