Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2023 9:09:23 PM EDT
I live on the CT/MA border in CT is there any way to get a CCW permit for MA?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, go to this website and DL, fill out the form and Mail it in with all the required documents. You will need a training certificate from a Mass State Police certified instructor. There are likely some in CT near the MA border.

The process includes a visit to Chelsea, MA for prints/picture/interview every 6 years. The initial process will likely take close to 1 year!! Horrible lack of "customer service".

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-or-renew-a-firearms-license
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a heads up on the time frame as a fellow CT resident. Took the MA course last December. Mailed in the paperwork and received a response in January. In person interview scheduled for May.

Still waiting on my permit 7 months later. And it's only good for a year. So I'm not even sure when I should renew it if I don't want it to expire.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Send renewals in 6 months in advance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Toker_:
Just a heads up on the time frame as a fellow CT resident. Took the MA course last December. Mailed in the paperwork and received a response in January. In person interview scheduled for May.

Still waiting on my permit 7 months later. And it's only good for a year. So I'm not even sure when I should renew it if I don't want it to expire.
View Quote

You need to seriously reach out to FRB by email or phone. That's what got mine processed and approved.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LenS:
Send renewals in 6 months in advance.
View Quote

Or more.

I've had renewals come back in as little as 3ish and as much as 10
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#6]
Originally Posted By JAD:
You need to seriously reach out to FRB by email or phone. That's what got mine processed and approved.
View Quote

At this point, I think I'm going to see this process through to it's natural conclusion.

My buddy interviewed a week after me and he has called several times. He belongs to a club in MA and would like to brings his guns there to shoot. They said they would expedite his permit and he still hasn't received it.

I want to see if they mysteriously put him in front of me in the pile.

Separate question. If my permit expires and I have submitted for a renewal, is there a grace period or is my permit considered expired? Meaning I couldn't carry until the renewal permit comes in?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

At this point, I think I'm going to see this process through to it's natural conclusion.

My buddy interviewed a week after me and he has called several times. He belongs to a club in MA and would like to brings his guns there to shoot. They said they would expedite his permit and he still hasn't received it.

I want to see if they mysteriously put him in front of me in the pile.

Separate question. If my permit expires and I have submitted for a renewal, is there a grace period or is my permit considered expired? Meaning I couldn't carry until the renewal permit comes in?
View Quote

No grace period for non-residents.

My initial took almost 7 months. In fairness, that one was not FRB's fault- DMH was not responding to their background check request (i.e. to confirm no commitments).

On my most recent renewal, the issue date was the date I called. It's almost like they forgot about it until prompted.

I had a similar issue in the past. In that situation They sat on it for a while and then it's like they were woken up by the email.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think that DMH has been responding timely since the law mandated their response back in 1998.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info and input.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been thinking about getting an out-of-state LTC.

Reading through this thread, though... fuck it, not worth it
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AbsolutLemur:

View Quote

If you travel to MA for any length of time, I'd say it's worth it. The more NR licenses, the better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AbsolutLemur:

View Quote

The main issue/ difficulty is the timeframe at this point. It's  worth having, and on the mail-renewal years- dropping the application in the mail early enough usually goes a ways towards avoiding lapses.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#13]

I interviewed in November.  Still waiting.  Called a couple weeks ago and they said will get to it in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#14]
Originally Posted By Finn2014:
I interviewed in November.  Still waiting.  Called a couple weeks ago and they said will get to it in a few weeks.
View Quote

That seems a little optimistic, to put it politely.

- Applied in December 2022
- Response received in February 2023 with interview date
- Interview in Chelsea in May 2023
- Received permit today. That's almost a ridiculous long 9 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top