Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2023 11:04:37 AM EDT
Can you hunt small game, specifically squirrels, in Pennsylvania with a semi-auto rimfire rifle? Magazine capacity? Also, can you use a suppressor?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes on semis for small game.  No mag caps.  Silencers are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
View Quote

@Bravo_Six

Appreciate the info! I couldn’t find a straight forward answer in a reasonable amount of time looking in the Game Comission’s website. Shocker there, right? They seem to make things as confusing as possible on purpose.

For the deer season this year, for both residents and non-residents with antlerless permits, are we good to go to shoot a doe in the first week of rifle season? I know in years past you had to wait until the 2nd week.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#3]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

@Bravo_Six

Appreciate the info! I couldn’t find a straight forward answer in a reasonable amount of time looking in the Game Comission’s website. Shocker there, right? They seem to make things as confusing as possible on purpose.

For the deer season this year, for both residents and non-residents with antlerless permits, are we good to go to shoot a doe in the first week of rifle season? I know in years past you had to wait until the 2nd week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Bravo_Six

@Nate19

Glad I could help.  You should be able to download the "guide" from the PGC website.  The small game weapon info is on page 43.  Note that suppressors are not mentioned, but it is well established that the PGC does not regulate suppressors.  I rarely hunt without one and I have had several interactions with PGC folks in the field.  

Regarding deer season and antlerless, this year's regular season (11/25 to 12/9) appears to allow harvest of both bucks and does in all of the WMAs.  This changes yearly and can vary by WMA.  However, per page 24 of the guide, it says regular season is open for both antlers and antlerless statewide.  That is the same for for both residents and non-residents.  So yes, if you have a doe tag, you can harvest a doe on opening day.

ETA link to downloadable PGC guide
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]

@Nate19

Glad I could help.  You should be able to download the "guide" from the PGC website.  The small game weapon info is on page 43.  Note that suppressors are not mentioned, but it is well established that the PGC does not regulate suppressors.  I rarely hunt without one and I have had several interactions with PGC folks in the field.  

Regarding deer season and antlerless, this year's regular season (11/25 to 12/9) appears to allow harvest of both bucks and does in all of the WMAs.  This changes yearly and can vary by WMA.  However, per page 24 of the guide, it says regular season is open for both antlers and antlerless statewide.  That is the same for for both residents and non-residents.  So yes, if you have a doe tag, you can harvest a doe on opening day.

ETA link to downloadable PGC guide
View Quote

Thank you very much, sir! Have a safe hunting season and blessed Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Same here on suppressors, I'll probably never hunt without one again, other than bird hunting with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't feel silly... with the number of advertisements and the way the guide is organized, it is a tough guide to use quickly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#7]
Their mobile app is pretty decent for seeing what's in season.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Their mobile app is pretty decent for seeing what's in season.
View Quote

I will check it out. Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]

@Bravo_Six

View Quote

Well, there is a reason why I call them the "Gamer Commission". They like to play games with people, hence the "r" after the word "Game".
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here on suppressors, I'll probably never hunt without one again, other than bird hunting with a shotgun.
View Quote

A few years ago I was at. Game Lands range.
One of the Wardens made a RARE appearance. (Never saw one at a Game Lands Range before)
As long as you have the Paperwork for the Can they don't care.
Just be sure you have your Hunting License with you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#11]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

A few years ago I was at. Game Lands range.
One of the Wardens made a RARE appearance. (Never saw one at a Game Lands Range before)
As long as you have the Paperwork for the Can they don't care.
Just be sure you have your Hunting License with you.
View Quote

I carry a copy of an old letter from the PGC stating suppressors are good to go with my hunting license, just in case I ever get questioned by a WCO who doesn't know any better. That letter would probably be over 10 years old now minimum.

Regarding seeing them at the range, about 15 years ago I spent a lot of time at the PGC range north of Carlisle, like every weekend. At that range, the WCOs would literally dress in camo and hide in the woods next to the rifle range waiting to catch you doing something against the rules. I had heard about it, but then a couple times I personally saw them do it from the pistol range.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#12]

I carry a copy of an old letter from the PGC stating suppressors are good to go with my hunting license, just in case I ever get questioned by a WCO who doesn't know any better. That letter would probably be over 10 years old now minimum.

Regarding seeing them at the range, about 15 years ago I spent a lot of time at the PGC range north of Carlisle, like every weekend. At that range, the WCOs would literally dress in camo and hide in the woods next to the rifle range waiting to catch you doing something against the rules. I had heard about it, but then a couple times I personally saw them do it from the pistol range.
View Quote

That is some next level BS.. although I do try to avoid the PGC ranges at all costs. Unfortunately, I had to stop by to confirm a zero on a rifle this season. Being down range hanging targets with a couple “regular” guys and having a handful of fudds fiddling with grandpappy’s ol’ Ought 6 at their bench at the same time doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy. Shot 4 rounds at 100 yards with a few inch spread and called it good enough for Bambi and got out of there before someone got hurt.

Speaking of the pistol range, had a guy there sighting in a long barreled S&W 686 for deer hunting this year. Love the thought of how convenient it would be to hunt with a pistol. What are the PA restrictions on it? No semi-auto, I assume. Barrel length restriction? And minimum calibers, I’m sure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#13]

That is some next level BS.. although I do try to avoid the PGC ranges at all costs. Unfortunately, I had to stop by to confirm a zero on a rifle this season. Being down range hanging targets with a couple “regular” guys and having a handful of fudds fiddling with grandpappy’s ol’ Ought 6 at their bench at the same time doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy. Shot 4 rounds at 100 yards with a few inch spread and called it good enough for Bambi and got out of there before someone got hurt.

Speaking of the pistol range, had a guy there sighting in a long barreled S&W 686 for deer hunting this year. Love the thought of how convenient it would be to hunt with a pistol. What are the PA restrictions on it? No semi-auto, I assume. Barrel length restriction? And minimum calibers, I’m sure.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the Carlisle range is where a few years back a guy was on a rifle range with some ARs by himself, went downrange to hang targets and someone shot him with his own rifle and stole all his stuff. Pretty sure they were caught.

I mostly had good experiences at PGC ranges and went a few years where I spent a lot of time at them, but that was always a slight concern of mine when solo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to the PGC range once or twice when I first moved here.  I quickly joined a private club and have no desire to return.  Totally unsafe behavior was just starters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top