Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2023 3:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma]
If you already have an NJ permit to carry then you can apply in certain Pennsylvania counties to obtain a PA license to carry firearms. Not all PA counties issue to non-residents and some counties allow walk ins while others require appointments. Some even allow online applications but still require you to come in to pay the $20 bucks and pick up your permit.

The following links are not all inclusive but simply a starting point for anyone wishing to get their PA LTCF.

PENNSYLVANIA FIREARM OWNERS ASSOCIATION

Delaware County - is accepting non-residents with an NJ ptc  

Update: Effective April 1st, 2023 out of state applicants will not be accepted online. Out of state applicants must apply in person at our office. Failure to comply will result in a withdrawal of your application and a loss of processing fees.

York County

Pike County pdf  Pike County sheriff is now accepting online applications from non-residents - no more emailing of pdf's. You still need to set up an appointment to get photographed, pay $20.00 and pick up your license to carry.  Click through the following link and you'll see the non-resident info: Pike County

Monroe County  - wants application notarized by NJ police that issued the NJ PTC Will start accepting online applications on Oct. 30th, 2023 from non-residents with unrestricted permits from their home state.

Luzerne County  - issues to out of state residents according to their website.

Wayne County  - must have unrestricted license from your home state.

All PA county sheriffs   - asterisk next to county indicates they (may?) issue to non residents - call to make sure

Feel free to add other PA counties that will issue to NJ residents with a PTC.

eta -
Monroe County with updated info

Luzerne County added (3/12/23)

Wayne County added (3/13/23)

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
So it looks like Berks doesn't accept out of County applications online. Unless I am missing something, there doesn't appear to be a paper application available to fill out ahead of time. Anyone know if you just fill out the form in person?

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.
View Quote

Pikes County looks like they accept via email, and is relatively close. So maybe I'll just go there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#2]
Sorry to hear that about Berks. Their page has conflicting info. How about giving them a call to make sure - 610.478.6240 Ext. 3265.
I'll update my original post.

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania: must meet ALL requirementsTo Apply for a License to Carry Permit at the Berks County Sheriff's Office, the applicant must:
be a citizen or a naturalized citizen;
be twenty-one (21) years of age;
be a resident of Berks County;
Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff's office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

View Quote
Guess the Berks County sheriff doesn't want to be bothered.

Monroe County will issue to non-residents:   eta: Not sure if they will issue or not

NON-RESIDENT LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demeroma:
Sorry to hear that about Berks. Their page has conflicting info. How about giving them a call to make sure - 610.478.6240 Ext. 3265.

Monroe County will issue to non-residents:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Monroe County will issue to non-residents:

I just sent my app to Monroe County... Before I just read your update above that they are not accepting applications.

I guess I'll wait for them to reject it before applying elsewhere.

It's kind of insane, here is the text from their website. It seems like it could not be more clear that they do accept them. Sigh, government.

*** Monroe County is currently accepting applications for NON-RESIDENT License to Carry Firearms. Please do not call the office inquiring about non- resident applications. Follow the instructions below to ensure you are submitting a complete application. ***

In order to apply for a non-resident, conceal carry permit in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you must possess a UNRESTRICTED conceal carry permit in the state that you reside in full-time.

In order to apply for a Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms, you must submit the following:

1.  Completed application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms. All pages must be returned! Failure to return all pages of the application will result in your application being rejected or filed as incomplete.

2.  Copy of valid Driver’s License (front and back).

3.  Copy of valid unrestricted Conceal Carry Permit from the state in which you reside in (front and back).

4.  If your conceal carry permit refers to see a court order, you MUST include a copy of the court order.

You may submit the application along with any supporting documents via mail, e-mail or dropping it off at the drop-box located at the main entrance of the Monroe County Courthouse.  

You may submit the application along with any supporting documents via mail, e-mail or dropping it off at the drop-box located at the main entrance of the Monroe County Courthouse.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, this is getting complicated. Let me know what Monroe County replies to you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Updated op with a pdf from handgun law of all PA county sheriffs - those with an * have non-resident info. Call before going to make sure they will issue.

All PA county sheriffs
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:34:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#6]
Got a call from Monroe County Sherriff on my request for non-resident PA LTCF permit. They are sending a "packet of applications" that need to be notarized by the agency that issued the permit. I suspect this is not a great avenue for satisfaction. Presumably this is coming via snail mail. I may just bounce this to a different county.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:33:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#7]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:
Got a call from Monroe County Sherriff on my request for non-resident PA LTCF permit. They are sending a "packet of applications" that need to be notarized by the agency that issued the permit. I suspect this is not a great avenue for satisfaction. Presumably this is coming via snail mail. I may just bounce this to a different county.

View Quote
So Monroe does issue non-resident permits. I'll update the op to reflect that.

Good idea about going to another county. I hear Pike and Delaware are the ones to go to. Delaware accepts online applications but may take a few days before you get the call to pick up the license. Pike accepts online apps as well but they also take walk-ins which can take several minutes to an hour if they're busy but you'll get the license the same day. Call before you go to verify.

If and when I ever get my NJ ptc, I'll probably go to Pike, not that it's closer to me than Delaware but they give same day service.

eta: I forgot to add York county. It's also friendly to NJ PTC holders.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I sent over my application to Pike County. They responded within an hour and I'm all set with an appointment next week. Crazy how starkly different the responses were.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I sent over my application to Pike County. They responded within an hour and I'm all set with an appointment next week. Crazy how starkly different the responses were.
View Quote
Good to hear just make sure to leave your pocket knife, cellphone and smartwatch in the car before entering the building to pick up your permit.
Let us know how it goes next week.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Good to hear just make sure to leave your pocket knife, cellphone and smartwatch in the car before entering the building to pick up your permit.
Let us know how it goes next week.  
View Quote

Haha, yeah. The person I spoke with on the phone had a pretty long list of things not to bring. Maybe I'll show up in my tightie whities just to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like you can carry in your car in PA on your NJ PTC or any other state ccw permit.
If you get out of the car you must open carry or leave the gun in the car.

I'll do just that when I drive up to get my PA license, that's if I ever get my NJ PTC.

Page 30 at HandgunlawUS
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you can carry in your car in PA on your NJ PTC or any other state ccw permit.
If you get out of the car you must open carry or leave the gun in the car.
View Quote

Yes, everywhere except Philly ("city of the first class").  In Philly, open carry requires a LTCF, or recognized reciprocal license/permit from another state.

So...  just stay out of Philadelphia, and you'll be a better person for it  
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Been to Philly years ago and have no desire to go back without a LTCF
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Not an exclusive PA video but lots of info about the costs associated with applying for different non-resident permits.

$7184.00 to Carry in 44 States & Washington D.C.

Taxing the 2nd Amendment - $8149.00 to Carry in 44 States & D.C. - Husband & Wife

Jan 26, 2023
My Wife and I have Carry Permits from Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Utah, Florida, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Massachusetts.

I wanted to add more details in this section but YouTube limits me to 5000 characters in the Description.

Resident Maryland Cost $1190.00
 Online Application $75 x2
 16 Hour Class $350 x2 (This can vary)
 Live Scan Fingerprints - MUST BE TAKEN IN MARYLAND $60 x2 (This can vary)
 Live Fire Qualification Ammunition cost $35 x 2 (This can vary)
 Travel Expenses for Class and Live Scan Fingerprints $150 (This can vary)

Non Resident Pennsylvania Cost $104.00
 Online Application $27 x2 (Each County has their own process)
 Must have Home State/Resident Carry Permit
 Must schedule appointment to get photo taken and to pick up Permit in person
 Travel/Toll/Parking cost to drive to go pickup Permit $50 (This can vary)

Non Resident Washington D.C. Cost $1260.00
 Paper Application $110 x2 (Photo and Fingerprints included)
 16 Hour Class $350 x2
 Must schedule appointment to submit application at MPDC Headquarters.
 Live Fire Qualification Ammunition Cost $45 x2
 Travel/Toll/Parking cost for Class and trip to D.C. $250

Non Resident Florida Cost $299.00
 Paper Application or Online Application $87 x2
 Training $0 (Our Maryland & D.C. Classes Satisfied this Requirement, but the required class could vary from $30 to $350)
 Live Scan Fingerprints on FL Card or Ink Fingerprints on FL Card $30 x2
 Passport Photo $10 x2
 Postage/insurance for Application $15 (This can vary)
 Travel Cost for Fingerprints and Passport Photo. $30

Non Resident Utah Cost $371.00
 Paper Application $63 x2
 4 Hour Utah Class $75 x2 (This can vary)
 Fingerprints $10 (This can vary)
 Passport Photo $10 x2 (This can vary)
 Postage/insurance $15
 Travel/Expenses for Class $50 (This can vary)

Non Resident Connecticut Cost $610.00
 Application $70 x2
 Online Background Check and Fingerprint Processing Fees (Called CCHRS) $87 x2
 Paper Application must be Notarized $0 x2 (This can vary)
 Training Class $75 x2
Classes accepted are: 1) NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting; or 2) NRA Basic Pistol Shooting
Training Class must be taken within one year of application
 Live Scan Fingerprints on CT Card or Ink Fingerprints on CT Card $30 x2 (This can vary)
 Passport Photo $10 x2 (This can vary)
 Ammunition Cost $25 x2
 Self-addressed stamped envelope $0.50 x2
 Postage/Insurance $15 (This can vary)

Non Resident Massachusetts Cost $1276.00
 Paper Application $100 x2
 Payment must be a Bank Check or Certified Check
 Training Required - Massachusetts Basic Handgun Class (MA LTC002 Class) $100 x2 (May vary)
 In person interview/photo/prints in Chelsea Massachusetts x2 (Our interviews were scheduled 110 days after the MSP received our Application)
 Ammunition Cost $25 x2
 Self-Addressed stamped envelope $0.50 x2
 Postage/Insurance $15 (May vary)
 Travel/Expenses to MA Certified Instructor in Wilmington, DE $60 (May vary)
 Travel/toll/parking/hotel cost to go to Massachusetts $750 (May vary)

Non Resident New Jersey Cost: $788.00
NOTE: This process has changed due to recent legislation.
 Paper Application $50 x2
 Money Order Only for payment
 Class to show familiarity with safe handling and use of Handguns $50 x2 (Cost can vary)
 IdentoGo Live Scan Fingerprints $61 x2 (Add $39 x2 for IdentoGo not taken in NJ).
 (4) 1.5"x1.5" Passport Photos. (Request Argentine Passport size or 38mm x 38mm) $34 x2
 The County I applied to mandated an IN PERSON appearance at to submit the Application, another IN PERSON appearance at Salem County Court/Judge, and a final IN PERSON appearance to pick up the Permit.
 Live Fire Qualification Ammunition cost is $35 x2 (This can vary)
 Travel/Expenses for Class/Live Fire, Live Scan, and 3 trips to New Jersey (1 application drop off, 2 court appearance, and 3 permit pickup) $250 (This can vary)
Non Resident Maine Cost $155.00
 Paper Application $60 x2
 Handgun/Safety Training $ (Our Maryland & D.C. Classes Satisfied this Requirement)
 Passport Photo $10 x2
 Postage/Insurance $15

Non Resident Rhode Island (Depending on Town) Cost $930.00
 Varies from Town to Town. East Greenwich was $40 x2
 Application and references for my Town must be Notarized
 Training Required: (Both 1 &2)
1) NRA Basic Class $0 (Our Maryland & D.C. Classes Satisfied the Basic Training Requirements)
2) NRA Instructor must qualify the applicant @ 75 , 30 Shots, on Army L Target. Applicants MUST score 195 or better. (This test can be extremely difficult for casual shooters) $50 x2
 Live Fire Ammunition cost $25 x2 (This can vary)
 Travel/expenses for live fire qualification $50
 Travel/toll/parking/hotel cost to drive to Rhode Island $650 (This can vary per Department as mentioned above)
Non Resident New Hampshire Cost $215.00
 Paper Application $100 x2
 Postage/Insurance $15
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
PA non-res permit acquired. Took a grand total of 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#16]
PA non-res permit acquired. Took a grand total of 10 minutes.
View Quote
That's good news. I'm applying online to Pike county this weekend. I'm still enjoying my 2nd day of carry here in NJ.

I figured what the heck, so I just emailed my application to the Pike county sheriff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#17]
180 mile round trip to Pike county, $20 dollars cash and 5 minutes with the nicest clerk I've met in a while, has gotten me a permit from Pa.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
180 mile round trip to Pike county, $20 dollars cash and 5 minutes with the nicest clerk I've met in a while, has gotten me a permit from Pa.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93999/P_20230202_155249_LL_p-2695202.jpg
View Quote

Nice!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bumping this thread. Any current updates? Pike county seems the closest to me. Are any of them open Saturday mornings?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NJTac:
Just bumping this thread. Any current updates? Pike county seems the closest to me. Are any of them open Saturday mornings?
View Quote

You have to call to make an appointment. I don't think you can just show up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NJTac:

Pike county's website states they're only open Mon - Fri 8:30 to 4:30 but if you give them a call as KnuckleSandwich suggested maybe they'll work with you. There are several sheriff offices such as Allegheny county that do have satellite offices and Saturday hours but they only issue to county residents. There may be other sheriff's further away from NJ that may issue to non-residents with Saturday hours but I haven't researched all of PA's counties.

With all the people from NJ getting PA licenses, Delaware county is changing the way they're handling non-resident applications.

link

I'll update my original post on DelCo to reflect the change.

York and Pike haven't changed their application process for non-residents.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting.  Been living up here since 2010.  For a while, Pike County wasn't issuing nonresident permits under the previous Sheriff.  Good to see we're getting with the program.  Perhaps the recent Bruen decision, along with efforts to turn us into a Second Amendment Sanctuary county have had an effect.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
I do believe they need at least some time to run a background check, hence the request for an appointment so they don't get jammed up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rovert:
Interesting.  Been living up here since 2010.  For a while, Pike County wasn't issuing nonresident permits under the previous Sheriff.  Good to see we're getting with the program.  Perhaps the recent Bruen decision, along with efforts to turn us into a Second Amendment Sanctuary county have had an effect.
View All Quotes
I was impressed with the way Pike county handled my online application and even more impressed when I went to pick up the license. it was so easy and problem free unlike NJ's abortion of an application and issuing process.

I find it admirable that some counties in PA are actually having concealed carry seminars for their residents. New Jersey sure would benefit from such seminars.

Reps. Adams, Fritz to host Concealed Carry seminar in Hamlin  (March 16)

Cabell, Kaufer to co-host free concealed carry seminar  (April 20)

Also it looks like Luzerne county is issuing to non-residents. I'll add that info to my original post.

OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS APPLYING FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY:

Out-of-State residents must accompany their applications with a colored photo of both their Driver's License and License to Carry Firearms from the state in which they currently reside.
Luzerne County

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Wayne county sheriff in Honesdale, Pa is issuing non-resident licenses to carry. You must have an unrestricted license from your home state.

LTC info and application

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

This is what happened to me when i lived in NY it was a 45 min drive to pike county why I got at the time.. I was fishing and camping a lot in PA..

When LTC was up for renewal they told me they stopped due to all the non approved permits from NY.

Glad they changed it.

A year later I escaped from Communist NY and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Last week I drove out to The Centre Co. Sheriff's office to renew my PA permit.  I downloaded and filled out the application beforehand and made a copy of my NYS permit.  I was in and out in about 10 minutes, permit in hand.  The clerk was very pleasant to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]
She is super cool there. thats where i go
then i go up to Elk County for the day..

Originally Posted By secamp32:
Last week I drove out to The Centre Co. Sheriff's office to renew my PA permit.  I downloaded and filled out the application beforehand and made a copy of my NYS permit.  I was in and out in about 10 minutes, permit in hand.  The clerk was very pleasant to deal with.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Monroe County, Pa update:

OP has been updated to reflect the changes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#30]
so Monroe is good to go ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
so Monroe is good to go ?
View Quote
Not yet but Monroe will be good to go on Oct. 30th when they begin accepting applications online.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#32]
ok thats cool. i got four years to worry bout it. ill more likely be there by then.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I filled out the form for Pike County on Tuesday. They responded by email within minutes, directing me to phone them for an appointment to pick it up. I drove there today and picked it up. It including being photographed and took less time than ordering a fast food meal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
I filled out the form for Pike County on Tuesday. They responded by email within minutes, directing me to phone them for an appointment to pick it up. I drove there today and picked it up. It including being photographed and took less time than ordering a fast food meal.
View Quote

I went to the sheriff's office after I moved to PA with my application and it took five minutes for my picture. Didn't need an appointment.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Congrats Whamo. I had the same experience as you at Pike County. After a 2 hour ride up there I spent more time in the court house men's room then it actually took me to get my license.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NZT:
As a non-resident what other out of state permits have you? I have FLA. Does that work?
View All Quotes
As a non-resident what other out of state permits have you? I have FLA. Does that work?
I'm not Whamo but figured I'd chime in and say that as a resident of NJ you need a permit from NJ in order to get a PA license. Non-resident FL licenses and all other state's ccw's in PA are only valid for vehicle carry there. Once out of the car you need to open carry. Just don't do that in Philly without a PA license.

Fwiw I have NJ, PA, Utah and Fl. I used to have Maine and New Hampshire but let them expire years ago. Maybe one day I'll get MD and D.C.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#39]
FNJ
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Pike County Sheriff is now accepting online applications from non-residents with a ccw. No longer need to fill out a pdf and email it to them. Once approved, you'll need to set up an appointment to go to the Sheriff's office to pay your $20 bucks, get photographed and issued your license.

More info here on new licenses, renewals, change of addresses, etc.

https://pikepa.permitium.com/ccw/start

The first page of the link says you must be a resident of Pike county but if you click through to the next page it has the non-resident information.

https://pikepa.permitium.com/ccw/application?permittype=new
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#41]
As of this morning it looks like 18 to 20 year olds can carry without a license.

MONUMENTAL INJUNCTION ISSUED AGAINST PSP COMMISSIONER   18-21 YR OLDS CAN APPLY FOR LICENSES TO CARRY!

So what does this mean? Unless and until the permanent injunction is stayed or overturned, 18 to 20 year olds have more rights and protections in Pennsylvania than those of us 21 and older. Specifically, an 18 to 21 year old can now carry a loaded firearm on their person or in a vehicle, without being required to obtain a license to carry firearms! Of course, as this could change quickly, it would be wise for any person between 18 and 20 years of age to apply for and obtain his/her license to carry.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#42]
As of this morning it looks like 18 to 20 year olds can carry without a license.

MONUMENTAL INJUNCTION ISSUED AGAINST PSP COMMISSIONER   18-21 YR OLDS CAN APPLY FOR LICENSES TO CARRY!

link
View Quote
The "free" state of Pennsylvania wants a mulligan.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top