Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2024 8:49:42 PM EDT
Local range (TSS) offers the 2-day Maryland "wear and carry permit" class.  Apparently very few people are signing up for it.  I suspect that was part of the training requirement's design.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the place near Avondale? How many hours each day and how much?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I signed up for the two day MD wear and carry class at Shepard Tactical in MD. Been waiting forever to be able to carry in MD so I jumped on the opportunity to get the permit. Surprisingly not many PA shooters near me even know about the non resident MD wear and carry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
View Quote

Yep.  It's a 2-day course, 8 hours per day.  Maryland doesn't accept any previous training so it's a "from the ground up" training course.  $400

https://targetshootingsolutions.com/classes-concealed-carry/
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 556sniper:
I signed up for the two day MD wear and carry class at Shepard Tactical in MD. Been waiting forever to be able to carry in MD so I jumped on the opportunity to get the permit. Surprisingly not many PA shooters near me even know about the non resident MD wear and carry.
View Quote

Yeah, they really don't and that's what I heard from TSS as well.  I spoke with a couple of shooters here in PA and they had no clue that you could get it.  Pretty easy one to get, just really the training hoops to jump through.
I'm in and out of Maryland all of the time, so I really want/need to get it.  What I like about the TSS course is that it's during the week vs the weekend.  Weekends are 100% for my kids.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't know that was a thing.

Under different circumstances I'd do it but I can hardly find time for the things I really need to do these days and it's probably been at least five years since I've passed through Maryland.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
i have no interest in going to Maryland.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Do any trainers do a commie state package?

I'd be interested in MD if I could also get NJ.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Do any trainers do a commie state package?

I'd be interested in MD if I could also get NJ.
View Quote

No, they do a separate course for NJ.  Last I heard there was still a problem actually getting the NJ permit issued because of NJ funny business.  I'm out of date on that info.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I kind of want to do it but you still need MSP to approve your application after you pass the course?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I kind of want to do it but you still need MSP to approve your application after you pass the course?
View Quote

Yeah, it is just the training course.  I don't know of any course where you get issued the permit at the end of it.  Unlike NJ, I can say for sure that a number of PA residents are being used Maryland permits all of the time now that it is an option.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Basil] [#11]
There's hoops other than the training to jump through -

1.  2 day training course
2.  MD Livescan fingerprints (Only MD Livescan accepted)
3.  Passport photo (take it yourself, their website will help you edit it)
4.  Create account on MSP site
5.  Fill out application - $125 application fee
6.  Wait 7-8 weeks

I think mine took about 7 weeks to get approved - with the class, fingerprints, application fee, and running around, it ended up costing me around $600.  It's good for 2 years, then you have to re-qualify with another 8 hour class for renewal.

Was it a pain in the ass?  Yes

Does it feel good to not have to worry about going into Maryland anymore?  Yes

Top tip - if you don't already have your Florida permit, get a second set of fingerprints on a card when you get the Livescan done.  I took advantage, and oddly enough, my Florida permit and MD permit came on the same day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting to hear that MD will actually issue a permit to regular people now.

I was stationed there in 2007 and at the time you could apply but I was told straight up by the MSP that I wouldn't be approved. As I recall I needed to have a documented threat against my life or an occupational reason to get one,  and if it was occupational-related the permit would specify that it was only valid during the course of occupational duties.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Basil:
There's hoops other than the training to jump through -

1.  2 day training course
2.  MD Livescan fingerprints (Only MD Livescan accepted)
3.  Passport photo (take it yourself, their website will help you edit it)
4.  Create account on MSP site
5.  Fill out application - $125 application fee
6.  Wait 7-8 weeks

I think mine took about 7 weeks to get approved - with the class, fingerprints, application fee, and running around, it ended up costing me around $600.  It's good for 2 years, then you have to re-qualify with another 8 hour class for renewal.

Was it a pain in the ass?  Yes

Does it feel good to not have to worry about going into Maryland anymore?  Yes

Top tip - if you don't already have your Florida permit, get a second set of fingerprints on a card when you get the Livescan done.  I took advantage, and oddly enough, my Florida permit and MD permit came on the same day.
View Quote

The 8 hour renewal training after just 2 years is the part that really annoys me.  That's nutso.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rgaper:

The 8 hour renewal training after just 2 years is the part that really annoys me.  That's nutso.
View Quote

Agreed - I understand the 2 year renewal, at least in MD's view, but requiring me to re-shoot the qualification every two years is a bit much.  Particularly given the nature of the qualification.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Too much effort.

I just unload and lock up, then reload again in sheetz parking lots on either side of Maryland on 81.

I'm actually stopped to do that now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Too much effort.

I just unload and lock up, then reload again in sheetz parking lots on either side of Maryland on 81.

View Quote

I suspect that’s part of the reason it’s like that.  I believe it’s also a bit of economic Jim Crow
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]

I suspect that’s part of the reason it’s like that.  I believe it’s also a bit of economic Jim Crow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Too much effort.

It really is.  They get to say "oh yeah, we are shall issue now..." but how many people are going to shell out $400 and spend 16 hours for training + 8 hours every 2 years to renew?  

Imagine if they made voting this difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
It it was a “lifetime” permit I would consider it but 16 hour beginner course is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:15:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#19]
It it was a “lifetime” permit I would consider it but 16 hour beginner course is ridiculous.
View Quote

This right here. Plus the renewal process

I had no idea this was a thing.

Eta
Slightly off topic here.
There is nothing on the TSS website about what handguns are legal in MD. Are their laws on magazine capacity, threaded barrels, ect? Just curious
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]

It really is.  They get to say "oh yeah, we are shall issue now..." but how many people are going to shell out $400 and spend 16 hours for training + 8 hours every 2 years to renew?  

Imagine if they made voting this difficult.
View Quote

Kind of like back when I lived there, I guess it was "may issue", they liked to say that hardly anyone is ever denied. But that's because it was something like a $300 application fee that you didn't get back if you were rejected, and they hardly ever approved anyone. So almost no one would apply. Can't deny if they don't apply.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok I am a md instructor, feel free to pm me if you have any other questions beyond the quick reply I do here.

Yes its 16 hours of training, normally done over two days, the shooting is 25 rounds out to 15 yards on a full b27 target. A blind man could pass it. Most classes these days are going for 250-300 bucks, some include the finger printing in this.

You need to be fingerprinted electronically by a company in maryland, cost runs 60-70 bucks. Taking a pic of yourself is fine for the photo part.

The cost for the permit from the state is 125, good for to your next birthday and 2 years, every renewal is good for 3 years. Renewals are cheaper

FYI if you have your dd214 page one that says honorable discharge your training exempt and dont need to take the class.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

This right here. Plus the renewal process

I had no idea this was a thing.

Eta
Slightly off topic here.
There is nothing on the TSS website about what handguns are legal in MD. Are their laws on magazine capacity, threaded barrels, ect? Just curious
View Quote

No handgun/mag/ammunition restrictions.

I took the TSS course.  Day 1 is basically NRA Basic Pistol, Day 2 is Maryland carry laws, use of force, and the range qualification.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Ok I am a md instructor, feel free to pm me if you have any other questions beyond the quick reply I do here.

Yes its 16 hours of training, normally done over two days, the shooting is 25 rounds out to 15 yards on a full b27 target. A blind man could pass it. Most classes these days are going for 250-300 bucks, some include the finger printing in this.

You need to be fingerprinted electronically by a company in maryland, cost runs 60-70 bucks. Taking a pic of yourself is fine for the photo part.

The cost for the permit from the state is 125, good for to your next birthday and 2 years, every renewal is good for 3 years. Renewals are cheaper

FYI if you have your dd214 page one that says honorable discharge your training exempt and dont need to take the class.
View Quote

Can I send them the print cards I submit for stamps and my DD214? That might actually be worth the time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

View Quote

Based on my training and experience, most law enforcement and most former military applicants should require MORE training... not be exempt from it.  Plenty of poor safety behavior and negligence among that crew.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Based on my training and experience, most law enforcement and most former military applicants should require MORE training... not be exempt from it.  Plenty of poor safety behavior and negligence among that crew.
View Quote

I'm not sure that I'd say MORE, but I would agree that the average military member is no better or safer than a civilian firearms enthusiast who never spent any time in the military.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Yep.  It's a 2-day course, 8 hours per day.  Maryland doesn't accept any previous training so it's a "from the ground up" training course.  $400

View All Quotes

$400 and 16 hours and you have to go to Maryland for fingerprints.... is why. Do they actually teach anything useful?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

$400 and 16 hours and you have to go to Maryland for fingerprints.... is why. Do they actually teach anything useful?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Your location is listed as TX.  Pennsylvania has a pretty large % of its southern border (which includes a lot of population) with Maryland, so it should be pretty relevant for many.

The most useful information was the required walk through on Maryland's use of force laws and well as restricted locations.

The 16 hours, permit cost, and in-state fingerprint requirements are absolutely designed to reduce the pool of applicants.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Depends.

What kind of civilian shooters? Average shooters at a USPSA match or average shooters at a SGL range? One of those is definitely better at everything than average military and LE (by a lot), the other is so bad that even the dumbest Navy officer on instagram is probably less fucked up. I seen both.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Depends.

What kind of civilian shooters? Average shooters at a USPSA match or average shooters at a SGL range? One of those is definitely better at everything than average military and LE (by a lot), the other is so bad that even the dumbest Navy officer on instagram is probably less fucked up. I seen both.
View All Quotes

Depends.

That disparity is why I say "don't exempt them."  I've absolutely seen both too.  Plenty of cops that I don't trust with a gun, and plenty of military who have an MOS unrelated to carrying a gun who shouldn't be granted an immediate "pass" on training requirements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top