Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 6:28:27 PM EDT
PP qualification rules state qualification must be "with a pistol or revolver of a caliber equal to or larger than the one he or she intends to carry".  

So, riddle me this---if you qualify with a 9mm, would you be allowed to carry a 38 spl also?  And vice-versa--if you qualify with a 38 spl are you good to go with a 9mm as well?

I guess what I'm asking is which caliber does RI consider "larger"---9mm or 38spl?  Believe they have almost identical diameters. . . .

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s by caliber…you can carry your 38, while qualifying with a 9.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a technicality that you would want to risk getting hung up on? Most CC folks that I know just shoot their qual with a .45 so they're covered for (almost) anything they choose to carry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 12milesout:
Is it a technicality that you would want to risk getting hung up on? Most CC folks that I know just shoot their qual with a .45 so they're covered for (almost) anything they choose to carry.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have or plan to own a .45.  I guess I could try with a .357.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You’re honestly worrying too much about this. Shoot it with your nine. Talk to the NRA instructor who qualifies you about your intention to carry a 9 or 38/357. You’ll be fine.

My permit says caliber qualified: .45

Not 45 Acp.

Your good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12milesout] [#6]
Originally Posted By FudgieGhost1:
I don't have or plan to own a .45.  I guess I could try with a .357.
View Quote

Another option would be to use a rental gun; Elite in Wakefield has a pretty good selection at their indoor range. It's a pass/fail kind of test... they don't print your score on your permit, so don't worry about getting a perfect score.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top