Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2023 9:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357]
Wondering if some folks might be able to recommend some packs. General size, brands, frame or no frame features you’d look for things to avoid. Got my task book awhile back and have found a few folks interested in doing it. Thought I’d see what folks were using.

ETA: Also for those that can Gear you’d recommend for folks starting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have a very good store nearby that can find a pack that fits you, get one with an adjustable torso length and a padded waistband that can be tightened up.

A good fitting framed pack takes most of the load through the frame to the waistband, fastened around your hips, and down your legs. Otherwise the weight goes through your shoulders and back before down your legs. The same load will be significantly easier with the framed pack.

I like mystery ranch and have seen others on hikes using them. They have a hunters and a mil line so will be tougher than many modern lightweight pack that are designed for carrying lightweight gear. Their packs have sizes but are generously adjustable within a size and their website has a lot of info on it for sizing a pack even if you get another brand. The one I have also dosen't glow neon under nods and if you want a pack to blend in around the neighborhood get a nice bright rain cover for it.

I would also recommend getting a medium sized pack, getting the required weight is easy with sandbags, or steel plates. Big bags are often designed for carrying bulky but lighter items such as pufferjackets and sleepingbags and are harder to balance if not filled. And its better to get a pack you will use than one that looks live a hobo moving cross country.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Conceptually, military packs are built to take over-sized or overweight loads (mortar rounds, radios, etc.) and stand up to being tossed off an LMTV by an angry 18-year old repeatedly. That same design also has to live up to being tied on to someone that jumps out of a marginally-intact aircraft. It also has to work in the Iraqi desert, Arctic tundra, and deep jungle. Finally, they're ordering 1.2 million of them in five to ten year increments with miles or red tape and federal acquisition authority rules and regulations.

Compromises were made.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've bene using packs from Hill People Gear for several years now. The come in subdued colors and are built for durability. They are NOT ultralight long distance packs but they are versatile in how they can be configured. Their suspension fits me perfectly but a good friend of mine could never get it to fit him well. So like anything, try before you buy if at all possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Eberlestock is worth a look, and they seem to have sales for just about every holiday.

After cycling through a few packs I settled on a Gunslinger II. Excellent suspension system, adjustable torso, reasonably sized (see above comments about the pitfalls of a too large pack) and provisions to carry shelter on the exterior.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top