Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2024 1:12:58 PM EDT
Phelan has a ton of support around here (SETX) and I can see why, friend of industries, local guy, family is old money in Beaumont etc.. I've read here that he's a piece of shit that's in bed with the Democrats. Covey has Trump's endorsement for whatever reason.

I see very little support around here for Covey and a lot of support for Phelan. I'm not up to speed on exactly what Phelan did to warrant the hate but I remember reading something about him having a hand in trying to impeach Ken Paxton?

Can someone give me a simple rundown of the Phelan Vs Covey race that's in a run off? What did Phelan do that was the tipping point in him being a RINO?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't live there anymore but Phelan is worse than a RINO. He's a Dem cuck. Covey all the way. One of my most trusted friends is heavily involved in SE Texas politics and could explain far better than me but I can say for certain that Phelan tried to block constitutional carry, he has placed democrats as chairs of committees etc. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#2]
How Soon Texas Gun Owners forget their history & their friends.

Dave Phelan is in big part the reason why we have Unlicensed  Carry in Texas.  (We "technically" don't have Constitutional Carry)

Other Texas House Speakers for over a decade would not let UC out from committee to the house floor for any vote, despite it clearing committee numerous times.  Phelan promised as Texas House Speakers he would bring UC to the floor for a vote.  Phelan kept his word & continued to support UC through the House - Senate Committee to work out differences in the respective bills so it could be passed by the Texas legislature & signed by Governor Greg Abbott into law.  Without House Speaker Dave Phelan's support, we would not have UC in Texas.

Phelan is hated by Ken Paxton for the impeachment hearings at the Capitol of the Attorney General on a number of serious misconduct & corruption charges. The Republicans in the Senate did not have enough votes to convict Paxton (in part due to fears of Trump) & thus Paxton has vowed to "get revenge" on anybody that he considers "disloyal".

Not my district so I don't get to vote, but that's the background.

Simply Texas Republicans infighting...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Dave Phelan is in big part the reason why we have Unlicensed  Carry in Texas.  (We "technically" don't have Constitutional Carry)

Other Texas House Speakers for over a decade would not let UC out from committee to the house floor for any vote, despite it clearing committee numerous times.  Phelan promised as Texas House Speakers he would bring UC to the floor for a vote.  Phelan kept his word & continued to support UC through the House - Senate Committee to work out differences in the respective bills so it could be passed by the Texas legislature & signed by Governor Greg Abbott into law.  Without House Speaker Dave Phelan's support, we would not have UC in Texas.

Phelan is hated by Ken Paxton for the impeachment hearings at the Capitol of the Attorney General on a number of serious misconduct & corruption charges. The Republicans in the Senate did not have enough votes to convict Paxton (in part due to fears of Trump) & thus Paxton has vowed to "get revenge" on anybody that he considers "disloyal".

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

I honestly don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Matt Schaefer authored the "unlicensed carry bill"

https://twitter.com/DLoesch/status/1745239174175727727

"Chris McNutt, President of Texas Gun Rights, is among those who have voiced strong criticism of the NRA and its former leader. According to McNutt, even post-LaPierre, the NRA continues to endorse politicians who do not stand firmly for Second Amendment rights. A prime example cited by McNutt is the NRA’s endorsement of Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan.

Phelan’s record includes supporting legislation that limits Constitutional Carry and campus carry rights for 18-20-year-olds, endorsing parts of President Biden’s Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, and influencing the composition of the Texas House committee responsible for gun legislation. This committee, under Phelan’s guidance, failed to pass significant pro-gun bills, including a measure to prohibit Red Flag Gun Confiscation and the Second Amendment Preservation Act. It also supported the ‘Glock switch bill’, restricting ownership of specific gun tooling and imposed transport restrictions on young adults."

https://txgunrights.org/nras-history-of-compromise-continues-with-phelan-endorsement/

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:58:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#4]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

"Chris McNutt, President of Texas Gun Rights, is among those who have voiced strong criticism of the NRA and its former leader. According to McNutt, even post-LaPierre, the NRA continues to endorse politicians who do not stand firmly for Second Amendment rights. A prime example cited by McNutt is the NRA’s endorsement of Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan.

Phelan’s record includes supporting legislation that limits Constitutional Carry and campus carry rights for 18-20-year-olds, endorsing parts of President Biden’s Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, and influencing the composition of the Texas House committee responsible for gun legislation. This committee, under Phelan’s guidance, failed to pass significant pro-gun bills, including a measure to prohibit Red Flag Gun Confiscation and the Second Amendment Preservation Act. It also supported the ‘Glock switch bill’, restricting ownership of specific gun tooling and imposed transport restrictions on young adults."

https://txgunrights.org/nras-history-of-compromise-continues-with-phelan-endorsement/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Bigger_Hammer

Not to argue with You Buckshot, but

(A) I never said Phelan authored the bill - I said he supported it and brought it from committee to the floor so it could finally get a vote. No other Texas House Speaker over decades had done that.

(B) Does anyone remember how the Wayne LaPierre NRA did next to nothing on Unlicenced Carry in Texas, except to show up at the very end to park themselves front & center at the main table for the signing ceremony with Governor Abbott & Lt. Governor Dan Patrick & take credit for the legislation ... when it was very much Gun Owners Of America (Texas) who did the real heavy lifting & pushed & pushed to keep the bill on track to get it across the finish line & into law? Who met & lobbied those recalcitrant legislators & put pressure where needed? It wasn't the NRA but Texas GAO.  I sure do.  And they & I will repeat the fact that without Dave Phelan as the then new Texas House Speaker & his support that "Unlicensed Carry" would have not become law in Texas.

I don't think any candidate can choose who 'endorses' them, So if saying an ally is "bad" because they were endorsed by the NRA (which has practically become irrelevant in Texas) just seems a bit silly. I hope we are not supposed to be voting against all candidates who the NRA endorses.

(C) This whole Run Off is due to a desire for "revenge" about the Paxton Affair. (Double Entendre intended)

Say what you will, but Ken Paxton's personal actions put the A.G.s office in a "compromised position", and had Paxton not tried to pay the whistle blowers multi-million dollar settlement from Taxpayer funds, this would all be a non-issue.  Dave Phelan is not the only Texas Legislator whom the "Paxton Faction" is going after.

I don't live in the district, so it is not my vote. But at some point Gun Owners need to realize if we vote against the candidates who supported our legislation, then we may soon find we have a shortage of legislators willing to support our legislation.

Hope you recover Quickly & Fully Buckshot!  We missed You!

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
...."Chris McNutt, President of Texas Gun Rights, is.....

View Quote

...an idiot of the highest order.
Texas chapter of NAGR.
Just as much a grifter as Dudley Brown.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a lot of both sides slinging shit and you have no idea who to believe. It is my district. Still researching to see and form my own opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
plus Phelan running official sessions drunk doesn't help - there's video of it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#8]
Originally Posted By eeshooter45:
View Quote

I'm no fan of Phelan but that accusation was disproven pretty quickly.

Texas would be better off with Phelan, Paxton and the rest of the shitbags resigning.
It's a shame when our choices are corrupt Democrats or corrupt Republicans.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Texas would be better off with Phelan, Paxton and the rest of the shitbags resigning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So drugs? Why all the slurred speech?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]

So drugs? Why all the slurred speech?
View Quote

The video was taken at the end of a fourteen hour session. Fatigue is a reasonable guess.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]

The video was taken at the end of a fourteen hour session. Fatigue is a reasonable guess.

View Quote

Yeah sometime I completely forget how to talk and make gibberish sounds. Don't be speaker if you can handle a 14hr day. Or lay off the booze at the end - members admitting to drinking towards the end of the session.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah sometime I completely forget how to talk and make gibberish sounds. Don't be speaker if you can handle a 14hr day. Or lay off the booze at the end - members admitting to drinking towards the end of the session.
View Quote

It was odd.
But even if he was or wasn't drunk and other members were as well....we deserve better.
Drunk vs corrupt. Awesome choice we have, huh?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top