Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2024 4:07:41 PM EDT
I'm trying to renew my non resident pistol permit.  I made a user name/password for the portal they direct you to, the only usable part of the page it for "assault weapons".   They tell you, on that page, to click on the pistol icon (spoiler alert there isn't one)   This is actually what it says-
"To renew your pistol permit, please click on the pistol permit icon (top left) and follow the bold text. DO NOT UTILIZE THIS FUNCTION IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MAILED IN A RENEWAL. We will be processing renewals in the order in which they were received."

Has anyone renewed via the website?  If so is there a trick i'm missing?

Thanks,
                                                               Chris
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The renewal icon supposedly shows up 90 days prior to one's permit expiring. Some have indicated that SLFU has incorrectly entered their information and they had issues registering or finding information once logged in. The workaround is to contact SLFU (may take numerous calls to get a live body) and have them check/update one's information.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much for the info, I will try calling until I get a person and I will post their response after.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
9 Days ago I emailed the state police, I used the Email that was on their website.  I was seeking info on how to use the online portal to renew a pistol permit.   They never responded (yes, I checked spam).  I called the listed phone number numerous times, I selected all of the options numerous times.  I never reached a person.   When I originally got my permit in 2019 there was a very helpful person who I was able to call and ask questions.  Thing of the past I guess.  
Regarding the online Portal system.  I am now 90 days out and the online renewal logo has appeared so I should be all set.  Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else going through the renewal process.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WoodyWoodward:
 I was seeking info on how to use the online portal to renew a pistol permit.  
View Quote

SLFU has a online pistol permit renewal "how-to" PDF on their main web page:

ONLINE PISTOL PERMIT RENEWAL HOW-TO
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My renewal that I did online finally went through from December.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just did my renewal online, after I submitted everything it said I should get my new permit in the mail in 10-14 business days....
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

That is 10-14 days after they process your renewal.  It will take your application 2-3 months to be processed.
View Quote

Ya figured it was too good to be true !
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they still do renewals in person, or mail/online only?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mostly_lurking:
Do they still do renewals in person, or mail/online only?
View Quote

Renewals are currently online or mail in only. Hasn't been in person renewals for a number of years (prior to Covid lockdowns).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent in my renewal info using the website/portal about 60 days ago.  The portal shows "pending renewal".  Does my permit expire on 5/20 like my permit says, or is it valid until they process my renewal?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:54:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#12]
I sent in my renewal info using the website/portal about 60 days ago.  The portal shows "pending renewal".  Does my permit expire on 5/20 like my permit says, or is it valid until they process my renewal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, when permit expires, it expires. There is a statutory 90 day grace period from date of permit expiration where you can still carry with the expired permit but cannot buy ammunition, magazines or firearms during the expired permit grace period.

Some have actually had the grace period expire before receiving the renewed permit. Its why its strongly suggested to submit the renewal ASAP after receiving the renewal notice or within 90 days of the expiration date on the permit. State is taking approx 2 to 3 months to process and mail back renewals (more or less). Online doesn't appear to be any faster than mail-in. As of this post, per SLFU:
SLFU is currently processing mailed in pistol permit renewals received on 02/26/2024
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
To be direct about what I did, I send an Email in February asking about the renewal.  It took over 20 days to get an Email response that said I could apply online 90 days before my permit expired.   It took several attempts over several days to get the website to allow me to submit my renewal.   All of my phone calls went unanswered.  I am not complaining to you, as it obviously isn't your fault the system is the way it is.  I am just hoping to offer my experience incase anyone else has to renew so they know what to expect.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD] [#14]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:
The renewal icon supposedly shows up 90 days prior to one's permit expiring. Some have indicated that SLFU has incorrectly entered their information and they had issues registering or finding information once logged in. The workaround is to contact SLFU (may take numerous calls to get a live body) and have them check/update one's information.
View Quote

I experienced issues when creating my account to process AW information.

I sent an email to  [email protected]    and was able to get helped very quickly. Based on my efforts calling SLFU in the past, emailing was (by far) a better choice. I got my issues fixed within 11 hours.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife mailed her paperwork on 3/27/2024 and received her permit by mail 4/24/2024 was shocked after mine took 4 months online.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#16]
For another data point: Renewal mailed to Middletown 4/15; permit received 5/3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top