Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 4:44:41 PM EDT
Hello Neighbors!

We are planning a 3 day/night camping tripn on the backcountry trails in the Porcupines.

The loop will be the Cross Trail/Little Carp River Loop.  I am recovering from leg surgery last summer, so I will be a bit limited.  

I wanted to not backtrack. Today I read that the cross trail loop can be muddy. Is that the norm? We will be thre in August. We will be in the U.P. for 5-7 days.

It looks like I can carry concealed there as well.  Am I right about that? I have a WI CC Permit.

We have reserved our campsites already. After camping in the backcountry, we will be able to truck camp thereafter. Any suggestions on decent secluded places with showers? Ideally we do not want to be at a campsite where the sites are stacked on one another.

We would want to stay at a hotel or B&B to shower and take a break from roughing it for a couple days.  Any suggestions in that area?  

I appreciate the help/advice.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fusemaster] [#1]
Trails in the Porkies are usually wet. You are allowed to carry in Michigan state parks.
Where are you truck camping, Presque Isle campground, primitive, no showers, Pit toilets, outer rings are a little more spacious, inner areas are crowded.
Union Bay campground, pretty much on top of each other, electricity and showers.
Union River “ big bear” campground, crowded. Silver Sands motel offered rooms for $. 100.00 a night, I’ve never stayed there.
Go into Ontonagon eat at Syl’s Cafe, great food.
Ontonagon Township park and campground, more spacious sites.
There is a campground in Wakefield which offers showers, bring quarters.
A note, 1/2 of the Porkies is in the central time zone, the other half is in eastern time zone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. That's just what I was looking for!

We searched online for information about truck camping and moat of the places were like sardine cans.

Your advice is helpful for sure!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top