Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2024 10:09:47 AM EDT
Moving from Wisconsin

Going on a recon trip in a few weeks.
We live on a 40 acre homestead in a highly populated area and want less population and more freedom.

Hopefully looking for 40 or more aces and quiet simple living.

So far property prices are way less than my area. Looking at Baxter and Izard counties so far.

We want to be in ozarks.

What are negatives?
Tornadoes and crime?

Do I need my cab tractor with snow blower?

NFA laws?

Thanks much
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevec223] [#1]
Both counties are mostly rural.  Baxter will have a hospital in mountain home.

Down side rural Arkansas are all the negatives associated with that.  Shouldn’t be an issue as long as you understand they will be slow to accept you.

Crime should be low, unless your neighbors are meth heads, which is possible.

Don’t worry about tornadoes I’ve lived in nw Arkansas for 50 years and there have been two or three that have done much damage.  

Thunderstorms yep, if a storm blows in, just listen for a freight train, then head for central part of house.  No freight train?  Enjoy the storm

Keep the tractor.  Leave the snow blower.  Snow usually only sticks around for a couple days.  Sun comes out and warms up to 50, snow melts.  Even the worst snow storms melts in a week

Arkansas is Constitutional Carry, no permit required

NFA no problem.  Buy what you can afford
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stevec223:
Both counties are mostly rural.  Baxter will have a hospital in mountain home.

Down side rural Arkansas are all the negatives associated with that.  Shouldn’t be an issue as long as you understand they will be slow to accept you.

Crime should be low, unless your neighbors are meth heads, which is possible.

Don’t worry about tornadoes I’ve lived in nw Arkansas for 50 years and there have been two or three that have done much damage.  

Thunderstorms yep, if a storm blows in, just listen for a freight train, then head for central part of house.  No freight train?  Enjoy the storm

Keep the tractor.  Leave the snow blower.  Snow usually only sticks around for a couple days.  Sun comes out and warms up to 50, snow melts.  Even the worst snow storms melts in a week

Arkansas is Constitutional Carry, no permit required

NFA no problem.  Buy what you can afford
View Quote

thanks for the info! hoping to get out there in a week or two for some scouting. Do they salt much out there? I tend to like older trucks/ suv's and they rust away here in Wisconsin

been looking at land on Zillow and the sites. I"m hoping to move some family too, is it realistic to have a house built? In Wisconsin wait times are long and prices are sky high.

thanks much

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
They salt some just before and after snow or ice storms.  Nothing like WI.  I drive a 2005 Yukon, no rust at all.  I’m retire and have been for awhile, so if it snows, I mostly stay home.

You will be able find many rust free cars/trucks around.  No one here has a winter beater.  Maybe a beater, not restricted to winter.

No idea about home builders over there.  I’m sure someone does it without a huge delay.

No basements here
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to feel like I was finger-wagging to new residents, and that they should know this stuff already. I now know better from receiving incredulous calls from people who simply can't believe we won't send a guy on a 40-mile round trip to take care of a dog that won't be there when he arrives.

You should know you give up good services for that remoteness. I have had an oblique connection to county government in an area near the two counties you named. There is no animal control in most counties. Fire districts are over 97% volunteer, so they've got to get to the station before they head your way in a lot of cases.

"The Arkansas Fire Service is comprised of 1003 fire departments. 28 of those departments are staffed by career, fully paid firefighters. The remaining 974 are either fully or partially staffed by volunteers."-ADEM

Responders, paid and unpaid are all pros in my experience, but a lot of the infrastructure behind them is kind of a mess. There is a lot of weirdness with road networks, i.e. there can be a high number of roads required to be numbered for 911 response purposes, yet the county does not maintain them. Numbered private roads seem to confound Apple Maps, so I have ditched my iphone for better rural navigation.

Turn by turn directions are tough in any case.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By signalscout:
I used to feel like I was finger-wagging to new residents, and that they should know this stuff already. I now know better from receiving incredulous calls from people who simply can't believe we won't send a guy on a 40-mile round trip to take care of a dog that won't be there when he arrives.

You should know you give up good services for that remoteness. I have had an oblique connection to county government in an area near the two counties you named. There is no animal control in most counties. Fire districts are over 97% volunteer, so they've got to get to the station before they head your way in a lot of cases.

"The Arkansas Fire Service is comprised of 1003 fire departments. 28 of those departments are staffed by career, fully paid firefighters. The remaining 974 are either fully or partially staffed by volunteers."-ADEM

Responders, paid and unpaid are all pros in my experience, but a lot of the infrastructure behind them is kind of a mess. There is a lot of weirdness with road networks, i.e. there can be a high number of roads required to be numbered for 911 response purposes, yet the county does not maintain them. Numbered private roads seem to confound Apple Maps, so I have ditched my iphone for better rural navigation.

Turn by turn directions are tough in any case.
View Quote

thanks for the info!

What is stone county like? I drove through and really liked it. I was all over and noticed the fire departments ( a truck maybe and and older building that looked abandoned)
I drove around for hours without seeing anyone too. Lots of gravel roads. with one that had a stream crossing near mammoth springs.

Really liked it
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing that may not be an issue ... or may be is the Madrid Fault zone - if it goes, it covers a lot of East & Central Ark. There are maps out there that show its impact on which areas - insurance may look at those too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SyberSniper:
One thing that may not be an issue ... or may be is the Madrid Fault zone - if it goes, it covers a lot of East & Central Ark. There are maps out there that show its impact on which areas - insurance may look at those too.
View Quote

oh now I have to research this

someone did tell me taxes are low but insurance is high in this area.

pluses and minuses everyplace I guess.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Also I disagree about basements. They'll have to chisel and blast the hole, because you're gonna hit solid rock at about 3" deep in this area. But its doable. We basically have a spring and fall tornado season these days, and we can have some bangers.

I have a full sized semi-finished basement and have a saferoom inside said basement. If you got the money, and want the safety, I say go for it. Or you can bury a steel or fiberglass shelter for much less. Build a safe room in the garage, etc. Several options.
View Quote

The rock house I used to live in west of Marshall the neighbors told me they were blasting for a week to get the half-basement walkout feature for that house. The soil is very rocky, but if you get down over a foot or two, there's even more rock, mostly sandstone, some limestone, although lots of Newton County has chert/flint.
Searcy, Newton, Stone, Marion and Yell counties all have very remote areas with acreage.
Don't expect marvelous cell phone coverage or Internet service. Sometimes you're just lucky to have reliable electric power. (generators are a big thing here)
Expect most storms from the southwest to be potentially dangerous with high winds.
But the wildlife is great: deer, bear, elk, turkey, the occasional mountain lion. The first 3 hours of a whipoorwhill is wonderful to hear. After that you start thinking about ways to hunt down and shoot that silly thing.
Mostly the people here are friendly, but like to be left alone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dayphotog:

View Quote

The New Madrid fault zone is poorly mapped and understood.
Some data suggests it may run well up into Ohio and west into Oklahoma.
Quakes here are not like those in California. We have heard and felt quakes in North Arkansas that were centered in Missouri and in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Quakes here are not like those in California. We have heard and felt quakes in North Arkansas that were centered in Missouri and in Oklahoma.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

my wife loves it out there and so Do I, not going to worry about the what if's

BUT what's this with having to "claim" for taxes a tractor and all attachments and ATV's, trailers and so on????

If I move there with my tractor, attachments, atv, and trailers, do I have to pay taxes on them?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]

my wife loves it out there and so Do I, not going to worry about the what if's

BUT what's this with having to "claim" for taxes a tractor and all attachments and ATV's, trailers and so on????

If I move there with my tractor, attachments, atv, and trailers, do I have to pay taxes on them?
View Quote

Personal Property tax: vehicles, boats, trailers, atv's, tractors. Anything not rooted to the ground. Houses, etc. get Property tax.
Assessed annually.
Taxed for the year past.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Property tax isn’t that much and mostly goes to the city and school district.

It is based on the value (I think) so if older equipment it is usually a few hundred a year.

I think I pay less than $300 a year on two cars and motorhome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]

It is based on the value (I think) so if older equipment it is usually a few hundred a year.

View Quote

Compared to places in the Northeast of the US, definitely not very much.
But a brand new car is pretty spendy for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Do yo pay tax on a new car yearly?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SyberSniper] [#18]
I moved from AZ and my second year of paying PPtax on my pickup I got a surprise... it was higher than the first year because they revalued it due to used car prices going up !!! WTF my 2019 F150 cost 325 even though I'm not selling it-
Previously the PPtax was guaranteed by state law to go down 8% a year... apparently though not here...  plus YOU have to go into the county to get your assessment and pay it before they will let you renew your plates.  Also be aware that the tax is based on the millage of the area you live (IIRC, rate is most affected by school district) if the millage goes up, so do your taxes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok so currently we have a silverado, small suv, two seat sporty car, a tractor (6 or so implements), log splitter, 3 smaller garden / lawn tractors, two atv’s, 1 atv trailer, 1 utv, and two utility trailers.

I’m going to get taxed on those yearly forever?

In Wisconsin no tax except on cars once at purchase to title/ get plates.

Atv’s only if you want to ride in public

Everything else no tax or registration

So if I move I need to get rid of stuff

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok so currently we have a silverado, small suv, two seat sporty car, a tractor (6 or so implements), log splitter, 3 smaller garden / lawn tractors, two atv’s, 1 atv trailer, 1 utv, and two utility trailers.

I’m going to get taxed on those yearly forever?

In Wisconsin no tax except on cars once at purchase to title/ get plates.

Atv’s only if you want to ride in public

Everything else no tax or registration

So if I move I need to get rid of stuff

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow we have goats and chickens and those get taxed too?!

Lots more research to do

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

As a property tax, yes.
Buying brand new also gets sales tax, just once.
Property tax is on assessed value, which decreases with age/depreciation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]

As a property tax, yes.
Buying brand new also gets sales tax, just once.
Property tax is on assessed value, which decreases with age/depreciation.
View Quote

I have been researching personal property tax as it’s new to me. Planning on slimming down my belongings anyway

Hope to head back down to look at some areas in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck to you!
The Ozarks are pretty wonderful. Some of the people aren't so wonderful.
But you can certainly find peace and solitude.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck to you!
View Quote

Thanks much,
So far most of the people have been much nicer than here in Wisconsin. We have lots of not so wonderful people too.

That’s why hopefully get the equal amount of acreage as a buffer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks much,
So far most of the people have been much nicer than here in Wisconsin. We have lots of not so wonderful people too.

View All Quotes
Good luck to you!

Thanks much,

We had someone decide to ride their mule right across our shooting range.
All temptation aside, all we had to do is mention the incident at the nearby gas station.
That nonsense stopped.
Then someone ran dogs across our property at night coon hunting.
Again a simple mention that some fool almost got shot for doing that put a stop to it.
Word gets around.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#27]
A few more trips made, and more houses looked at. Lots of houses on the market for a long time. Lots of properties with neighboring properties that are a bit run down. Not a big issue, but a few of the properties we looked at had neighbors properties that could rival a junk yard.

I really don’t care as it’s their property, but worried about not being able to put more equity in the property we buy. I’m looking from jasper to mountain home (kinda large area).

We really like it, but once we sell our current home we are committed as we are priced out of our current county. Their are 10 properties in the county over 10 acres and only two under a million. CRAZY

We have 40 acres but a small home. A rich Chicago person will buy our home as a cabin or tear it down and put up a McMansion as ours will be the only one well under a million

Are people pretty excepting to outsiders?
This is a HUGE gamble for us

Pretty stressed at the moment

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
In areas without zoning, expect a mix of nice homes, a few mansions, and a handful of trashy trailers.
It happens.
Mountain Home has a more "northerly" outlook than South Arkansas (sometimes called LA - for "Lower Arkansas")
The state offers a chance to reinvent yourself and build a new life, but people don't take kindly to being told that things are done better elsewhere.
Just be yourself, people will get to know you, and you won't have a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top