Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2024 6:37:33 PM EDT
How does this work now that you can no longer do a FTF?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By rigger7:
View Quote

Go to a dealer- they transfer it in and out
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#2]
Originally Posted By rigger7:
View Quote

You can still technically do a FTF the only change is one has to use an FFL to perform the sales authorization call/background check. The FFL will likely charge a fee to perform the call and complete the transfer process. They may want to take the gun into their books then transfer it out of their books.

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms
Effective 9/11/2023, SLFU will no longer facilitate the private sale of a firearm between two individuals. The State statute for a firearm sale requires a query of the FBI-NICS system, which is not authorized by the FBI unless an FFL is involved. In order to satisfy the state law and the federal regulation, every private citizen sale to another private person must be facilitated through an FFL.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

You can still technically do a FTF the only change is one has to use an FFL to perform the sales authorization call/background check. The FFL will likely charge a fee to perform the call and complete the transfer process. They may want to take the gun into their books then transfer it out of their books.

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms
View Quote

They have to take it on their books.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:

View Quote

That has been my understand as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nutter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mine also
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#6]
View Quote

Early on a FFL or three were wondering if had to do that or if they could just make the call without taking it onto their books. Guess it got ironed out so it has to be done.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Since they have to sign the firearm into their books, the FFL has all the responsibility and records keeping requirements on both a federal and state level.  So don't be surprised if they charge you $40 to do the transaction for you...
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JeepinMaxx:
So don't be surprised if they charge you $40 to do the transaction for you...
View Quote

Haven't heard (yet) of an FFL who doesn't charge a fee for the transaction. One may want to call around to price shop on that fee.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JeepinMaxx:
Since they have to sign the firearm into their books, the FFL has all the responsibility and records keeping requirements on both a federal and state level.  So don't be surprised if they charge you $40 to do the transaction for you...
View Quote

Dont be surprised if they charge $100- its 2x the work.
My local FFL is charging $80 for this. His regular $25 fee for just a transfer is now $40
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Always more $$$$.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4A2] [#11]
Where does it say they have to take it into their books? Last I went through was just going to the ffl and they have the seller and buyer fill out the regular forms and they call it in and get the authorization number. No filling out forms of giving it to the dealer and then the dealer transferring it, with the new owner filling out forms then, to the new owner.

Prices have been going up a lot on transfers. Good thing the firearm owners / community stick together .... sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By M4A2:
Where does it say they have to take it into their books? Last I went through was just going to the ffl and they have the seller and buyer fill out the regular forms and they call it in and get the authorization number. No filling out forms of giving it to the dealer and then the dealer transferring it, with the new owner filling out forms then, to the new owner.

Prices have been going up a lot on transfers. Good thing the firearm owners / community stick together .... sarcasm.
View Quote

If I were required as an FFL to be involved in a private transfer- the firearm would be required to go on my book and then go out on my book- cover your ass. NFA instate can no longer transfer from buyer to seller- in state. It must now go through a dealer. No dealer will facilitate a transfer that he is not part of so- now you will have to pay an additional transfer tax, dealer fees and taxes on. Welcome to a new level of making it harder
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
All I know is like I mentioned before. No extra paperwork just the price was stupid high to transfer. Yep, I agree just another infringment on firearms in the guise of an illegal law with no more face to face transfers. Will deter people from selling privately and this is part of their plan to get rid of firearms plus making it easier to confiscate when the time comes.

Though I'm sure the gangs and the criminals will follow this law as well. It the law of course they must.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeOD82] [#14]

If I were required as an FFL to be involved in a private transfer- the firearm would be required to go on my book and then go out on my book- cover your ass. NFA instate can no longer transfer from buyer to seller- in state. It must now go through a dealer. No dealer will facilitate a transfer that he is not part of so- now you will have to pay an additional transfer tax, dealer fees and taxes on. Welcome to a new level of making it harder
View Quote

FFL's are now transferring NFA without the state form at all, just the 4473 after the Form 4 is approved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:

FFL's are now transferring NFA without the state form at all, just the 4473 after the Form 4 is approved.
View Quote

Well that’s good news I suppose- they were not doing anything before. The problem as I see it is that they are making things up as they go along
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top