Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 6:56:33 PM EDT
Last I heard was the compliance in Upperstate was in single digits.

Still that way?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost definitely. Post Bruen, nobody should care about NY gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aimless:
There's plenty of illegal long guns and magazines. But if the cops get wind of you they'll arrest and prosecute you. Getting caught with an "assault weapon" is almost certainly going to result in an arrest.
View Quote

How actively are they pursuing the issue?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

View Quote

If they run across you and a non-compliant gun most agencies will arrest you
Its been on the books long enough and there's been a generational change in the ranks, so as far as the new officer with two years on is concerned, the law has always been there in their experience. It will take a US supreme court ruling to get rid of it at this point.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I would say in upstate ny not very hard unless you get caught doing something else. Christ we just had a felon in possession get in a standoff with the cops that involved an mrap and he was let out on bail that day.

I don't think I have ever heard of a straight illegal gun arrest here in a LONG time. It's almost always tacked on to some other charge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah most prosecutors don't want to touch an AWB or magazine arrest, post Bruen.

Even ranges in Westchester - the off duty cops who run them don't give two shits what you have. Even pre-Bruen.

Again it's a risk...but most cops don't care about guns in the hands of (otherwise) law abiding people.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
YMMV

Our DA has straight up told us to not arrest unless some other mitigating reason:

Like you robbed a bank or committed murder

Every county, town, city will be different…..so I would err on caution
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tc556guy: It will take a US supreme court ruling to get rid of it at this point.
View Quote

But it will take an arrest for a person to have standing for a US Supreme court case. I say we get a volunteer. Someone with no criminal history, no traffic tickets, strong community involvement. But of course, New York won't prosecute someone like that because they know it will give them the standing they need to end this once and for all.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The reason for this is I asked my state representative why he wants to enact a law that nobody will obey.

I pointed out that compliance in NY, NJ, and CT is in single digits after he naively started with a 'you have to obey the law' speil.

"Oh, so you would have ratted out Anne Frank? Their family was sheltered by lawbreakers and ratted out by a law abiding citizen."

As usual they don't know WHAT to say about that one!

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
this gets confused a lot, especially out of state.

REGISTRATION is extremely low. But that's only one option under the law.

I see tons of COMPLIANT guns at the range.
Dildo stocks, thumb block grips, fixed mag,etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kzin:
this gets confused a lot, especially out of state.

REGISTRATION is extremely low. But that's only one option under the law.

I see tons of COMPLIANT guns at the range.
Dildo stocks, thumb block grips, fixed mag,etc.
View Quote

Those are probably just what they bring to the range to zero and test uppers. Guaranteed if they have compliant ARs, they also have non compliant ones too.

Because again...there were no analogous laws banning certain features of weapons in the late 1700s. So..... unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Aimless: There are plenty of illegal assault weapons and "ghost gun" lowers made out 80% lowers and 10+ round AR magazines
View Quote

I had that problem until I bought a .450 Bushmaster upper. Now my former 20 round AR mags only hold 5 rounds and my former 30 round mags only hold 9 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Long Island LEAs will arrest/charge happily. The “R” DAs will happily prosecute. In these “R” counties it still takes a year or two to get a pistol permit from time of application submission despite court decisions which the counties simply thumb their nose at.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

Those are probably just what they bring to the range to zero and test uppers. Guaranteed if they have compliant ARs, they also have non compliant ones too.

Because again...there were no analogous laws banning certain features of weapons in the late 1700s. So..... unconstitutional.
View Quote

Not at all guaranteed.
I am certain that there are some people with 'illegal' guns at home.
I'm also certain that there are some that only own compliant guns.
What the ratio is beyond a lot of each  I don't know.

I am very confident that the 'compliance' rate is much, much higher than the registration rate.

I'm in between, most of the time everything is set up compliant but I have parts available to change that quickly if circumstances warrant.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't get caught
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zero6:

I had that problem until I bought a .450 Bushmaster upper. Now my former 20 round AR mags only hold 5 rounds and my former 30 round mags only hold 9 rounds.
Don't get caught

Getting arrested with a 223 rifle, ammo and a 'big' mag labeled 450BM isn't going to go well.

I wonder about getting arrested with a 450BM rifle and a mag loaded with 9 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#18]
Originally Posted By kzin:

Getting arrested with a 223 rifle, ammo and a 'big' mag labeled 450BM isn't going to go well.

I wonder about getting arrested with a 450BM rifle and a mag loaded with 9 rounds.
View Quote

Last summer, I was in a gunstore in western NY that had a 458 Socom AR (Compliant Featureless dildo stock) for sale & mags also, the mags had a standard 30rd body that was stamped 458 socom on both sides,  dedicated odd looking follower, follower & base plate were engraved marked 458 Socom.
So someone thinks they are legal.

Personally, I wouldn't risk owning the mags, these NY communist are vicious in their prosecution of "Political Crimes" , in NY you could get caught disposing of a dismembered murder victims body & be home in time for dinner, BUT if you get caught with an 11rd mag at the range for your legally registered pistol you will spend a month in jail before bail is set at a $million.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Something worth noting is that we are seeing situations in NY where an individual officer may have little discretion on some of these firearms issues.  Examples I've seen stemmed either from ERPOs or body cams. FWIW, locally, Ive seen few safe act cases that were not simply add on charges to something that was already a firearm related crime.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Usually you gotta give them a reason to dig further.  Traffic ticket?  Nah.  Arguing with a cop about a traffic ticket?  Probably not.  Tiktok video material?  Yeah, they'll get ya on something.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Very few people registered assault weapons. Mostly doctors, lawyers, police, businessmen.

In my experience prosecutors go after awb cases just like drugs or anything else. I talked to a prosecutor in 23, after I had left, and when I asked what was up he said he had a bunch of assault weapon trials coming up and was plenty gung ho about it.

no one is going to the range with illegal guns that I ever saw. There are plenty of illegal assault weapons and "ghost gun" lowers made out 80% lowers and 10+ round AR magazines
View Quote
None of mine are illegal.  Some may look different tho.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zero6] [#24]
Originally Posted By kzin:Getting arrested with a 223 rifle, ammo and a 'big' mag labeled 450BM isn't going to go well.

View Quote

Are you suggesting I would load my legal 450BM mags with .223 rounds? That thought had never even entered my mind until you just mentioned it.

As far as getting arrested with a mag loadded with 9 rounds, I wonder what the charge would be?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#25]

Are you suggesting I would load my legal 450BM mags with .223 rounds? That thought had never even entered my mind until you just mentioned it.

As far as getting arrested with a mag loadded with 9 rounds, I wonder what the charge would be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kzin:Getting arrested with a 223 rifle, ammo and a 'big' mag labeled 450BM isn't going to go well.

It's so ridiculous right? Plenty of magazines work with different calibers.

I believe ten round 40 cal Glock mags can function in 9mm guns, and hold more than 10 rounds of 9mm.

A 7 round tube in a 12ga shotgun can hold what? 13 rounds of mini shot shells?

Tons of examples of this.

Mag laws are dumb.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
When NYS released their registration numbers I believe it was about 40,000 registered weapons. It seems kind of low, but I would assume many chose to modify their guns to avoid registration, and eventually confiscation. Registered AW’s cannot be transferred to another individual with very few exceptions. The tyrants in Albany wrote the safe act to literally pry it from our cold dead hands.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Under SAFE, Can someone purchase & register a NYS defined Assault Rifle that Is over 50 years old?
Can a registered over 50 year old assault rifle be sold/transferred to a NYS resident?
This seemed to be ok under SAFE, but I wonder if the police are allowing this or just denying registration, ignoring their own NYS law!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s easier to just go live your life and not comply
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By garr:
Under SAFE, Can someone purchase & register a NYS defined Assault Rifle that Is over 50 years old?
Can a registered over 50 year old assault rifle be sold/transferred to a NYS resident?
This seemed to be ok under SAFE, but I wonder if the police are allowing this or just denying registration, ignoring their own NYS law!
View Quote

No to both.  The only people that can register an AW at this time are LEOs that had a personally owned AW for on duty use.  I think they can register them.  Otherwise the registry is closed.  Registered AWs can not be sold/transferred to anyone in NYS except an FFL or a qualified LEO.  Otherwise they have to be transferred out of state or surrendered.  I think you maybe able to neuter them but I’m not sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#30]
See Penal law section 400.16 . The referenced penal law section of 265 is the 50 year exception to the definition of assault rifle.

Penal law 265.22 (g))(vi)  -any  firearm,  rifle,  or shotgun that was manufactured at least
 fifty years prior to  the  current  date,  but  not  including  replicas
 thereof  that is validly registered pursuant to subdivision sixteen-a of
 section 400.00 of ......

Penal law 400.16.

A weapon defined under subparagraph (vi) of paragraph (g) of subdivision twenty-two of section 265.00 of this chapter transferred into the state may be registered at any time, provided such weapons are registered within thirty days of their transfer into the state.
 Registration information shall include the registrant's name, date of birth, gender, race, residential address, social security number and a description of each weapon being registered.  A registration of any weapon defined under subparagraph (vi) of paragraph (g) of subdivision twenty-two of section 265.00 or a feeding device as defined under subdivision twenty-three of section 265.00 of this chapter shall be transferable, provided that the seller notifies the state police within seventy-two hours of the transfer and the buyer provides the state police with information sufficient to constitute a registration under this section.  Such...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I tried the 9mm in a 40 mag. The 9mm shot out the top of the mag and into the air. Maybe you can bend the feed lips?
View Quote

You need to swap out a part or two for a caliber change as I recall. Been a few years now since my last armorer's class
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#33]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

You need to swap out a part or two for a caliber change as I recall. Been a few years now since my last armorer's class
View Quote

I accidentally loaded 9mm in a 357 Glock magazine yesterday.  

It would run a few rounds and then would fail to feed. The round would be nose up and get caught between the slide and barrel.  

I would imagine the 40 mags would perform pretty similar considering I run 357 out of them without issues.

Noncompliance results in a win for the state anyway.  
I’m doubtful you see any full feature ARs out at the range and a pile of guns at home doesn’t do much good.  

Eventually all the noncompliance folks will die and their children will turn those evil guns over to the state.  

They are playing the long game.

The gun shop I visited in NY last September had nothing for sale that was noncompliant.  The younger generations will conform unless the law changes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By naes:

The gun shop I visited in NY last September had nothing for sale that was noncompliant.  The younger generations will conform unless the law changes.
View Quote

I'm not sure why you'd assume that the store would invest in inventory it couldn't legally sell unless a significant percentage of its customer base is law enforcement and exempt from the ban
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top