Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 12:11:00 AM EDT
I need to find a good German restaurant.

DFW is lacking in this department.  
I’m open to DFW recommendations but would be more interested in finding one in the New Braunfels or Round Rock area.  

Thanks for the ideas, ARF is yet to fail me on food suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Can personally vouch for this place, I swore there was one in Salado right off 35 but I can’t find it.

https://walburgrestaurant.net/contact-us/

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:30:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#3]
Originally Posted By naes:

I'm open to DFW recommendations but would be more interested in finding one in the New Braunfels or Round Rock area.  

View Quote
Have you been to Bavarian Grill? Jurgen would be sad to hear this! We've been going there for years.
https://bavariangrill.com

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:24:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mall-Ninja] [#4]
OST.

One of my old bosses has a story about being a new transplant to Los Angeles in the ‘70s, and, looking for a good German restaurant, thought that with a name like Der Wienerschnitzel, the food must be good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you been to Kuby’s in Dallas? Or Rohmer’s in Muenster? Or Dieter Brothers up that way?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Ketzler’s in Granbury is local to me and we enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the ideas.  
I’ll investigate tonight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

Can personally vouch for this place, I swore there was one in Salado right off 35 but I can’t find it.

View Quote

Walburg ++
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jt526:
Have you been to Bavarian Grill? Jurgen would be sad to hear this! We've been going there for years.
https://bavariangrill.com

View Quote

Bavarian Grill is the real deal. I lived in Bavaria for four years and Switzerland for 10 years full time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

Bavarian Grill is the real deal. I lived in Bavaria for four years and Switzerland for 10 years full time.
View Quote

I’m putting them on my radar.
I don’t get out that far NorthEast very often so I must have missed them in past searches.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to Bavarian Grill, that's fun. I want to go back, if for nothing else, the sheer amount of beer on tap.

Food was hit or miss, trying to interpret what was what and not really know what you'd get. I got this really lean kinda like roast beef dish, I didn't like it, but other stuff was pure greatness.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
In New Braunfels I really enjoy:

https://www.alpine-haus.com/

In Fredericksburg I really enjoy:

https://www.friedhelmsbavarianinn.com/
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

There used to be one in Bartlett that was run by an old German couple….it closed before I ever got the chance to try it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bavarian Grill is OK, Jörg's Cafe Vienna is also in Plano.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Nobody said Henk's European Deli in Dallas?  It's just behind the big Half Price Books on NW Hwy.  Small place.  We like it.

I thought Altdorf Biergarten in Fredericksburg was pretty good (yeah, I know...  a far ways to the West)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:
Nobody said Henk's European Deli in Dallas?  It's just behind the big Half Price Books on NW Hwy.  Small place.  We like it.

I thought Altdorf Biergarten in Fredericksburg was pretty good (yeah, I know...  a far ways to the West)
View Quote

Henk's also has awesome pastries. I really enjoy their Black Forest cake.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#18]
Alpine Haus on S Seguin  in NB is good. I usually have a few beers at the hotel then walk over there.

Oddly enough a decent one in Vidor of all places. It's kinda run down but d went enough and close for me at only 30 mins or so. It's called Schnitzel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Been a few years since I've been there but good spot, especially when they have the tent and live music going.  Good German beer I could have hung out there for a few hours.

Apparently there is a WW2 reenactment every so often in the Austin area and afterwards some of them go to Walburg for dinner afterwards.  It was interesting walking in and seeing guys in German uniforms there eating!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:49:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EarlB] [#20]
Seriously dude?  D/FW is blessed with the absolute best German resteraunt in the US as far as I'm concerned.  Bavarian Grill in Plano.  Jurgen is the man.  If you like schnitzel get the Jager Schnitzel, Rahm Schnitzel, or Regensberger Schnitzel (my favorites, I usually get the Jager).  It's springtime so they should have their Creamy White Asparagus soup, GET IT.  It may yet be a couple of weeks early for it, so if that's the case start with the Goulash.  For sides, I'm never disappointed with their Spätzle, mixed salad, or oven potatoes.  Bread - their onion rolls are to die for, pretzel rolls are great too.   Henks, Kuby's, Juorge's, there are plenty of great German resteraunts in D/FW but Bavarian grill is by far the best, and if you are a beer drinker, Oh My...now I know where I'm eating out Friday night.

I’m open to DFW recommendations but would be more interested in finding one in the New Braunfels or Round Rock area.  

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryKnoxFineBooks] [#21]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

View Quote

Henk's is also top notch, but was only open evenings on the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
Has anybody been to Zur Autobahn? Kind of out in BFE, but not past day trip distance from DFW and it is beautiful down there right now, so green.
View Quote

I haven't.  It's a bit out of the way for me.  I used to go hunting some around Bandera and always stopped at Auslander in Fredericksburg.  Love that place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Altdorf is really good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Brick Oven  in Kempner.  Out of the way from your requested area, but it's the best!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manduck] [#26]
Kuby's is awesome and comparatively inexpensive.
Of course the market next door will end up costing you a lot but man do they have quality stuff.

If you go make sure you set aside time to go around the corner to Jackson Armory.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EarlB] [#27]
And if a hunter, Kuby's does exceptional processing.  Their sausage and hunter sticks are the best I've had.  Unfortunately I'm too lazy to quarter and ice down the deer for them so have only done it once (easier to drop off dressed at a local processor where I hunt)...but Kuby's processing is outstanding.

Originally Posted By Manduck:
Of course the market next door will end up costing you a lot but man do they have quality stuff.

If you go make sure you set aside time to go around the corner to Jackson Armory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Manduck:

View Quote

The restaurant may be good, but I'd never let Kuby's process a damn thing for me ever again. Probably going back 16 years ago, we brought in two deer. Completely cleaned, skinned, quartered. All that was left was to cut the meat from the bone and make the sausage.

What I got back was shit. Shit that I paid a lot of money for. I feel like I got back a deer that had been gut shot and left in the sun all day.

Never again. Nobody wanted to eat that stuff.

I've heard people rave about how good that place is. Well let me share my experience, I got screwed. I did all the prep work and I got screwed. If there was such a thing as quality control, they should ave fired the guy in charge of it and then fired the guy who hired him.

Somebody wasted 2 perfectly good animals and then pawned that garbage off on me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By joemama74:

The restaurant may be good, but I'd never let Kuby's process a damn thing for me ever again. Probably going back 16 years ago, we brought in two deer. Completely cleaned, skinned, quartered. All that was left was to cut the meat from the bone and make the sausage.

What I got back was shit. Shit that I paid a lot of money for. I feel like I got back a deer that had been gut shot and left in the sun all day.

I've heard people rave about how good that place is. Well let me share my experience, I got screwed. I did all the prep work and I got screwed. If there was such a thing as quality control, they should ave fired the guy in charge of it and then fired the guy who hired him.

Somebody wasted 2 perfectly good animals and then pawned that garbage off on me.

View Quote

Wow, you are the first person I have heard of that had a bad experience with their processing.    Not doubting you, just saying you are the first.
In my experience everyone I know who has had their processing done there has been very happy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By joemama74:

View Quote
Some processors are notorious for you check in x lbs, you get x lbs. It might be yours or it might be someone else. I quit bringing my stuff places after that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By EarlB:
Seriously dude?  D/FW is blessed with the absolute best German resteraunt in the US as far as I'm concerned.  Bavarian Grill in Plano.  Jurgen is the man.  If you like schnitzel get the Jager Schnitzel, Rahm Schnitzel, or Regensberger Schnitzel (my favorites, I usually get the Jager).  It's springtime so they should have their Creamy White Asparagus soup, GET IT.  It may yet be a couple of weeks early for it, so if that's the case start with the Goulash.  For sides, I'm never disappointed with their Sp tzle, mixed salad, or oven potatoes.  Bread - their onion rolls are to die for, pretzel rolls are great too.   Henks, Kuby's, Juorge's, there are plenty of great German resteraunts in D/FW but Bavarian grill is by far the best, and if you are a beer drinker, Oh My...now I know where I'm eating out Friday night.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EarlB:
Seriously dude?  D/FW is blessed with the absolute best German resteraunt in the US as far as I'm concerned.  Bavarian Grill in Plano.  Jurgen is the man.  If you like schnitzel get the Jager Schnitzel, Rahm Schnitzel, or Regensberger Schnitzel (my favorites, I usually get the Jager).  It's springtime so they should have their Creamy White Asparagus soup, GET IT.  It may yet be a couple of weeks early for it, so if that's the case start with the Goulash.  For sides, I'm never disappointed with their Sp tzle, mixed salad, or oven potatoes.  Bread - their onion rolls are to die for, pretzel rolls are great too.   Henks, Kuby's, Juorge's, there are plenty of great German resteraunts in D/FW but Bavarian grill is by far the best, and if you are a beer drinker, Oh My...now I know where I'm eating out Friday night.

I'm open to DFW recommendations but would be more interested in finding one in the New Braunfels or Round Rock area.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
2nd the Alpine Haus in New Braunsfels
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Ketzler's in Granbury is good too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
Ketzler’s in Granbury is local to me and we enjoy it.

Yeah, if you're out that way, Ketzler's is legit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been wanting to try Zur Autobahn, SW of Meridian

Zur Autobahn

You have to call ahead

View Quote

Zur Autobahn is right next to my ranch. We go there pretty regular. Homemade and plain food be prepared for a long slow meal European style. It’s a retired couple from Germany. Move there. They live above in the restaurants below. He cooks and Ophelia serves the food.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:58:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jkirkon] [#36]

View Quote

I agree, they are pretty good.
Link Posted: Today 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Connecticut Yankee here
(I didn't vote for them...)

Took a quick visit this weekend to visit the son and daughter-in-law in Frisco.
Appreciated all the reviews above.

Will add a +1 for the Bavarian Grill in Plano
Excellent food, excellent service, will get back there if I have the chance.

Also recommend The Owl Bar in Frisco
Not German, but a comfortable place with wide selection of adult beverages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top