Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
My daughter’s AR has a Bushmaster Optic Ready upper on her light weight AR carbine and now she wants to shoot iron sights since it’s more challenging. Anyway, her carbine currently has  a low profile factory gas block installed and I’m looking to have it replaced with a standard GI A1 type front sight gas block.

I went to both Rainier Arms and Pantel Tactical, but neither would touch it since it not a virgin barrel, due to having the low profile gas block already in place. Not mad at them since I’ve heard this before. Plus, Pantel are good people.

Anyway, when living in another state, years back, I had this done to a Colt post-ban Match AR without any issues, so I’m sure it still can be done. Also, the A1 type gas block is new and not drilled, but I am sure I have one or two used/drilled A1 type gas block.

With that said, is there anybody in the Seattle/Tacoma area that can do this type of work?

As always, THANKS!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bergunx:
My daughter’s AR has a Bushmaster Optic Ready upper on her light weight AR carbine and now she wants to shoot iron sights since it’s more challenging. Anyway, her carbine currently has  a low profile factory gas block installed and I’m looking to have it replaced with a standard GI A1 type front sight gas block.

I went to both Rainier Arms and Pantel Tactical, but neither would touch it since it not a virgin barrel, due to having the low profile gas block already in place. Not mad at them since I’ve heard this before. Plus, Pantel are good people.

Anyway, when living in another state, years back, I had this done to a Colt post-ban Match AR without any issues, so I’m sure it still can be done. Also, the A1 type gas block is new and not drilled, but I am sure I have one or two used/drilled A1 type gas block.

With that said, is there anybody in the Seattle/Tacoma area that can do this type of work?

As always, THANKS!!
View Quote

What you’re asking for generally has been accepted as impossible from a machinist standpoint. The holes in the barrel already exist. You can’t match them to a blank front sight. You have other options. Like a clamp on YHM flip up front. Or if you can find an ARMS version like this Link the ARMS is neat because it looks like and matches the profile of a regular fixed front sight.

However after associated costs. You might be better off just buying a new barrel that’s already got a fixed front sight
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In the long run, better off putting the funds required for that labor towards acquiring another barreled upper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't already have an old school front sight/gas block, I have several.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah… A new barrel is now in the future.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Terrato is not wrong. I myself have had good results with the Yankee Hill model 9394 flip-up front sight-gas block combo, the sight picture is very close to an A2 front sight, but the ARMS clamp-on rig is a;so very cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top