Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2024 11:16:26 PM EDT
It's California, so zero chance this bill doesn't get passed?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

What about poor undocumented guns? Will they be deported for seeking a better life?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If we have to re-register firearms, lets go for reregistering voters.  Seems fair to me.  Maybe too late for this election.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If it passes they will build up the registry and make money knowing it will get struck down in the courts.  

Or newscum will veto because he needs to move to the center for his prez run.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
They were all registered when sold or transferred, right?  Unless they are expecting those that somehow slipped through various cracks will be registered again/new?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Featureless:
They were all registered when sold or transferred, right?  Unless they are expecting those that somehow slipped through various cracks will be registered again/new?
View Quote

Lots of firearms are owned in California that were lawfully imported or transferred but did not have to be registered under the laws of the time.  Then you have people who avoided doing it in a way that involved registration without regard for lawfulness.  On top of that not everything that is supposed to have been registered as a result of sale through a dealer, submitting an intrafamilial transfer form, etc. ended up actually going into the system under the individual's name (has happened to me multiple times).  So there are lots of unregistered firearms in CA, many of which are that way for reasons that are lawful in their entirety or for reasons that have nothing to do with the owners, but rather with the government's ineptitude.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Probably looking for everything owned prior to 2014 when longarm registration began.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
They are looking for everything.  Publicity, revenue, political points, owner harassment and firearms.  What they aren't going to admit is that they have about zero clue as to what is out there even with handgun registration for new sales in reporting required in 1924, long guns much more recently.  Clearly the system is porous.  I doubt they will get any competent, probing investigation from any journalist or publicity about the actual situation with legal or undocumented owners might be.  They'll just call it common sense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d imagine this; should it pass and get signed will get about as much compliance as when they wanted all the “assault weapons” registered or how the ATF faired with the pistol brace registration. Sure some will comply, but I’d bet the majority won’t.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Even if they were already previously registered, do you want to pay DROS, or some equivalent fee, on a yearly basis, per firearm, just so you may legally continue to possess your property?

This isn't about locating unregistered guns, it's about making continual legal gun ownership too onerous and expensive so that it attritions in a generation or less.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
From GOC this afternoon:

In a vindictive move designed to financially stick it to California gun owners, Senator Anthony Portantino has introduced SB 1160, legislation mandating the annual registration of firearms.

In addition to the required yearly registration, SB 1160 would require the CA Department of Justice to establish fees necessary to maintaining “a system for the annual registration of firearms.”

“Senator Portantino doesn’t hide his revulsion for lawful gun owners,” said Sam Paredes,GOC Executive Director.  “Just last month following my testimony in opposition to his SB 54 (mandated safe storage bill) he looked directly at me and sneered “Just wait until you see what I’m going to introduce next.”

Portantino needs to take a good look at what’s happening in his own back yard - in Los Angeles County just last week four people were gunned down in a blitz of gang violence yet that didn’t seem to grab his attention.  He’s obviously more interested in putting the screws to the responsible and lawful than the criminals who misuse guns.

According to Portantino’s website, the bill requires that reasonable efforts be made to notify firearms dealers, owners, and the public about registration requirements. Plus, failure to comply could result in a penalty of $1000 per gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bm3:
If it passes they will build up the registry and make money knowing it will get struck down in the courts.  

Or newscum will veto because he needs to move to the center for his prez run.
View Quote

You see how newscum loves to brag about gun control on the national level he still thinks he would get votes based on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#12]
Originally Posted By Ajcrash:
From GOC this afternoon:

In a vindictive move designed to financially stick it to California gun owners, Senator Anthony Portantino has introduced SB 1160, legislation mandating the annual registration of firearms.

In addition to the required yearly registration, SB 1160 would require the CA Department of Justice to establish fees necessary to maintaining “a system for the annual registration of firearms.”

“Senator Portantino doesn’t hide his revulsion for lawful gun owners,” said Sam Paredes,GOC Executive Director.  “Just last month following my testimony in opposition to his SB 54 (mandated safe storage bill) he looked directly at me and sneered “Just wait until you see what I’m going to introduce next.”

Portantino needs to take a good look at what’s happening in his own back yard - in Los Angeles County just last week four people were gunned down in a blitz of gang violence yet that didn’t seem to grab his attention.  He’s obviously more interested in putting the screws to the responsible and lawful than the criminals who misuse guns.

According to Portantino’s website, the bill requires that reasonable efforts be made to notify firearms dealers, owners, and the public about registration requirements. Plus, failure to comply could result in a penalty of $1000 per gun.
View Quote

Wow!  This is one of the worst things I've ever read regarding our State government - an all out assault on legal firearms ownership.  

It reminds me of the type of verbal threat made by the Iranian regime against the USA, except it was by an American Legislator against some of his constituents and residents of his State.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
This might be a good time to submit a request to the DoJ to see exactly what records they have for you as an individual.  Here's the form, which requires an original signature, notarization, and a photocopy of your state-issued ID (Driver License etc.)

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

I plan to put mine in the mail today if I can find a notary public available on Saturday.  Otherwise, Monday.  I'm expecting a quagmire with a high percentage of bad data.  I will post an update to this thread after I have finished comparing the state's records to what I actually have.

When I was doing my CCW application last year, it was delayed by a month because the state had an incorrect serial number for one of three handguns that I put on my CCW (San Diego County requires this.)  Because the records reflect acquisitions and not dispositions, I assume that there are now TWO records of me acquiring a S&W AirLite pistol, one with the correct serial number and one with the incorrect number.

The implications of that kind of problem are pretty serious in the event the state actually passes the annual registration bill and tries to implement it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What firearms?  Those were all lost in an off-shore boating accident.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ajcrash:
I’d imagine this; should it pass and get signed will get about as much compliance as when they wanted all the “assault weapons” registered or how the ATF faired with the pistol brace registration. Sure some will comply, but I’d bet the majority won’t.
View Quote

I'm always a bit confused/distressed/amused when I hear Dem politicians in California or the state lawyers in court proceedings when they discuss the "assault weapon" registration.  It almost seems like they think they were all registered or moved out of state, etc., and are completely oblivious to the "features based" provisions and that there was the legal option for reconfiguration?  (And, of course, the other option, ignoring the requirements.)

I'm just wondering if the oppressive structurally racist white patriarchy running the government and justice systems intends to enforce registration failures consistently over the entire diverse population or will it, like "firearms enhancements" which seemed to have fallen in an inequitable fashion on certain portions of the population, choose to not impose them.  Or just using age, race, etc., in deciding who to prosecute?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
This might be a good time to submit a request to the DoJ to see exactly what records they have for you as an individual.  Here's the form, which requires an original signature, notarization, and a photocopy of your state-issued ID (Driver License etc.)

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

I plan to put mine in the mail today if I can find a notary public available on Saturday.  Otherwise, Monday.  I'm expecting a quagmire with a high percentage of bad data.  I will post an update to this thread after I have finished comparing the state's records to what I actually have.

When I was doing my CCW application last year, it was delayed by a month because the state had an incorrect serial number for one of three handguns that I put on my CCW (San Diego County requires this.)  Because the records reflect acquisitions and not dispositions, I assume that there are now TWO records of me acquiring a S&W AirLite pistol, one with the correct serial number and one with the incorrect number.

The implications of that kind of problem are pretty serious in the event the state actually passes the annual registration bill and tries to implement it.
View Quote

Agree.  I'd like to know what they think I own, too. Of course, if I were to pass on, my estate would, I'm sure, scrupulously distribute or dispose of my property fully consistently with the stateand federal laws.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#17]

Agree.  I'd like to know what they think I own, too. Of course, if I were to pass on, my estate would, I'm sure, scrupulously distribute or dispose of my property fully consistently with the stateand federal laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My trust specifies that on my passing all firearms will be transferred to an individual who lives in another state.

ETA I found a convenient notary on Saturday and got that form in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Before I moved, I made many 80% AKs.

Many
Many
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Tar, Feathers......
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#21]
This bill was withdrawn.

Here's a factoid taken from the legislative analysis of this bill.  An estimated 20M to 40M firearms are in California.  Only 40k are registered.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#22]

My trust specifies that on my passing all firearms will be transferred to an individual who lives in another state.

ETA I found a convenient notary on Saturday and got that form in the mail.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
This bill was withdrawn.

Here's a factoid taken from the legislative analysis of this bill.  An estimated 20M to 40M firearms are in California.  Only 40k are registered.
View Quote

And I haven't gotten a response to my records request.

The state doesn't know squat, or jack, or anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Blue-] [#23]
This bill was withdrawn.

View Quote

40k has to be an incorrect number. Maybe 40k RAW's. But given the fact that pistols have been registered for seemingly eternity, and longarms/rifles since 2014, I'd wager the real number is much, much higher than that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I think that could be RAWs.  sounds somewhat like some discussions at court hearings I've heard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:03:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#25]
Originally Posted By -Blue-:
40k has to be an incorrect number. Maybe 40k RAW's. But given the fact that pistols have been registered for seemingly eternity, and longarms/rifles since 2014, I'd wager the real number is much, much higher than that.
View Quote

This is quoted from page 9 of , "Legislative Analysis:  SENATE COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY Senator Aisha Wahab, Chair 2023 - 2024 Regular".

"If it is true that 4.2 million Californians own firearms and only 40,000 firearms are currently registered with the DOJ, is it reasonable to expect millions of Californians to ..."

Maybe it is just a wild hypothetical by the author or maybe there is some truth to it.  No matter, now you know where I got the number from.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

A good decade ago, we had an email at the company I worked at at the time go out to a wide distro listing guns available from an estate sale. Wife was selling deceased husband's guns. This was in CA.

I was interested in a "Colt .32-20 revolver" since it could be a good partner for my Winchester 1892, but someone already picked it up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#27]
This bill was withdrawn.

View Quote

I understood they made it into something else. Still gun control but not what it was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top