Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2023 10:24:06 PM EDT
I just got invited to hunt Black Bear in Ontario.

Can I put my 458 Socom (16" barrel) or 6.5 Grendel (20" barrel) upper on a single shot lower and bring it in?

Alternatively...

What about converting an upper to no gas straight pull and leaving it on a lower that can still accept a magazine?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:
Answer to your first question is no. ar uppers are prohibited thanks to shit pump.
Not sure about your second one but considering it's still an ar upper I wouldn't risk it.
Your best bet is a good old fashion bolt gun with a 5 round mag.
View Quote

Bummer.

I was afraid that was the reality.

I was thinking about putting my 458 barrel and bolt into one of these Solo 300 bolt gun but I guess I will revive an old project to bend and weld the bolt handle on my Mauser 98 so I can put a scope on it,.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
even if it sort of resembled an ar..no CBSA officer is going to risk letting you bringing it in..great way to grenade their career.
does whoever you are hunting with have a rifle you can borrow?
View Quote

I'm looking into the details like:

Is the bear 20 yards away over bait or is he on the other side of the field...

A red dot and a 3X magnifier may clear the bolt handle on the Mauser which is a "wide arc bend" in which case it's just mounting the picatinny rail I own and transplanting a sight temporarily.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to get the bolt handle curved on my 6.5 swede.
View Quote

That's the conclusion I've arrived at...
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
can you get a second bolt so you can keep the original one intact?
View Quote

It's not a collector's Mauser.  It's a new reproduction M48 from the Zastava plant imported by Mitchell's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRiddleOfSteel] [#9]
Originally Posted By RSM:

Bummer.

I was thinking about putting my 458 barrel and bolt into one of these Solo 300 bolt gun but I guess I will revive an old project to bend and weld the bolt handle on my Mauser 98 so I can put a scope on it,.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RSM:
Answer to your first question is no. ar uppers are prohibited thanks to shit pump.
Not sure about your second one but considering it's still an ar upper I wouldn't risk it.
Your best bet is a good old fashion bolt gun with a 5 round mag.

Bummer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top