Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 8:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: div01]
Looking to head down next month to try snakehead fishing. Was thinking of trying the Rappahannock above Fredericksburg. I have a 14’ Jon boat with mud motor. I have no idea if this is a good spot. I was wondering if they are in there and if my boat will work in the river. Looks like it narrows pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/08/08/210141705/world-record-snakehead-fish-caught-in-u-s
there is a boat landing near government island
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I just read that article.  I had no idea people actually eat Snakeheads.  I wonder how good they really are?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never had one but I have friends that say they’re pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a guy who bought some boat seats from me told me they are better tasting than walleye. I would like to bring a cooler full back home
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Not better than walleye.

The Rap above Frederick is not a place I would go for them.  Some have likely found their way up there but not in big numbers.  Besides, they prefer low and slow water.  The tidal creeks flowing into the Potomac are the places to go.  Aquia, Quantico,Occoquan, Pohick, in MD Mattawoman and Pomonkey.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. I’ll check those places out. 14’ Jon boat ok up those creeks ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Also check out Widewater state park. They have a boat ramp. If you can get ahold of a kayak or canoe you can put in at Crows nest Natural area. Apex Predators Potomac Creek, does snakehead charters. If you are into stripped bass, Lake Anna has a lot of charter services.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks I will check out widewater. I seen apex predator online. If my son doesn’t go with me I might try them and get a feel for the area.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to work with a guy that caught them in Lake Anna,

he said they are delicious
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not catch and release. They are an invasive species. All should be killed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By div01: 14’ Jon boat ok up those creeks ?
View Quote

No problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4Truck] [#12]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
I just read that article.  I had no idea people actually eat Snakeheads.  I wonder how good they really are?
View Quote

Absolute favorite freshwater fish, hands down.

Depending on what else interests you while you’re down, I’d start with Aquia creek.

Willow landing or Hope Springs are the best launches.

Snakeheads like calm shallow water.  Like barely deep enough to swim shallow. Edges of grass beds and vegetation.  Depending on timeframe, the fry balls are starting to show up.  Cast around them, the mothe will defend it.

I’ve done my best with swim baits like a Keitech 3.3 or 3.8, and top water frogs.  Much like bass, set the hook only once they’ve taken the lure down.  I try to count to 5 and set the hook like I’m ripping them in the boat.

Do not put your hands in their mouth.  A jaw spreader and lip gripper are a must.

Feel free to DM if you have need any more info about the area.

ETA-There are plenty of snakeheads in the Rappahannock and some in the Rapidan.  Harder to get to, but less pressure than the Potomac.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
View Quote

I worked with someone whose parents came from Cambodia, and they went nuts when they figured out they're to be eradicated. Like every free minute, they were fishing, it's a delicacy.

The Monday after a bumper weekend some came into the office, and I have to say it was really good, especially considering it was fish leftovers. Think lean eel, or buttery/pleasantly oily catfish (I grew up on Mackerel, so not sure how it relates).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By murderface01:
Do not catch and release. They are an invasive species. All should be killed.
View Quote

It's law. You MUST kill any caught.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#15]
You only are required to kill them if you keep them. You can release them back into the same body of water you caught them in.

From Va. DWR:
" Anglers are required to report snakeheads kept but are not required to kill them if caught and immediately released.  Snakeheads must be dead if in possession (contained in live well, cooler, etc.)  However, the Department asks that all snakeheads be killed if possible. If an angler wishes to keep a legally caught northern snakehead, the fish must be killed to be in possession, and the angler must call the hotline or other DWR contact and report the angler's last name, date of catch, location of catch, and size."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top