Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2023 1:29:49 AM EDT
Decided a while back but this county (San Bernardino) had required starting via the on-line state form and the state system was down.  As might be apparent, I wasn't in that big a hurry. You start by submitting the 14 page* state form which is mandated to all counties. They got right back to me; they are accepting the forms but holding them until the end of the year while they are "transitioning to a new program which will make the CCW process easier for all new applicants."  Maybe they'll streamline some of the documents and get away from needing 4 separate Postal Money Orders at 2 different points in the process. San Bernardino hasn't been difficult or impossible so I'll see how it goes.   I didn't ask how long it's been taking.

* 14 pages but much of it is simply quoting a variety of firearms related laws. A few pages up front then a few at interview.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#2]
No.  Haven't heard anything on any new process/approach for the county.  With no particular reason to think this, I'm kind of guessing that there is a queue in process that they may be trying to complete before the law changes to avoid any complications with different "requirements" and having to "repeat" or add to something already completed to some extent.  I don't know what actually changes from the state level, haven't followed that closely but think maybe the "training" time/topic/curriculum may require more training time and/or a different "qualification?"

I think they may be streamlining some parts of the documentation/fees process and fitting their process to the "new" state law situation., too.  They've been using Postal Money Orders (4 of them, different amounts at 2 points in the process), and that seems awfully archaic, so even a change to the fee payment process might be in the works.

I haven't looked at the sheriff's website recently so maybe something there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been checking every couple of days and saw the Sheriff's website has the new system up. I've emailed a few questions about the new on-line system.  Looks like some changes in documents and to be "ready to scan" so wanting to clarify how that will work before I gather the docs for scanning, etc.  I didn't add the fees but they look the same, now will be via credit card not money order.  They've updated to note the longer required training time, too.  I don't have an idea on application, review or training scheduling times.  Will probably start the paperwork again - new or repeats tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Blue-] [#4]
My buddy is still going through his process in Santa Clara county. He's just about at the end of all the hurdles, it's looking as if he may get it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I can continue on the previous process or swap to the new one.  I'll be staying with the old system.  If there any documentation problems, etc., a need to delay, then go with the new one.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#6]
some mis communication, restarted the process.  Initial interview scheduled.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Still in the process. Will be doing initial interview and fingerprints soon. The bureaucratic form submittals and payment process is easier and more effective here now although the volume of requests seems to be keeping things from being truly rapid.  I do think the changeover to a more automated process was not without some problems which added to the time its taking me.  I expect to have a better idea of the time for the "checks" and then training/range time schedule after the interview.

The process is different for each issuing authority with a state overlay of certain minimum requirements (which changed recently) so experiences and procedures will vary place to place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Did initial interview and prints.  Told to expect at least a month to  get prints results back.  While I'd like more of the check to continue, I expect as busy as they are they work the ones with prints complete successfully and  not put effort on those that might be dropped with bad prints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top