Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2024 9:27:17 PM EDT

The boy and I will be going for steel head the weekend.  This will be our first time.   Considering Chagrin River in Willoughby.  Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Rocky holds a lot, and is easily accessible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CDPhD:
Rocky holds a lot, and is easily accessible.
View Quote

That’s another option.  I know the river essentially runs thru Cleveland proper.  Is there an area you’d recommend that would be safe?  I’m not very familiar with Cleveland and I’ll have my son with me.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]

https://fishingreports.orvis.com/

Just found this last night, even tells you what they’re biting on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cancard:

That’s another option.  I know the river essentially runs thru Cleveland proper.  Is there an area you’d recommend that would be safe?  I’m not very familiar with Cleveland and I’ll have my son with me.  Thanks.
View Quote

Not familiar with the East Side rivers but the Rocky River is to the West of Cleveland proper, there is lots of access and you won't have any troubles.  Check the water levels and clarity before you go, it's a shallow river that can rise and mud up with the rains.

The Cuyahoga River runs through downtown Cleveland.  There is access to fish but you have to travel south to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park to find areas with decent access that look like a river and not sheet pile.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IIRC:

The Rocky is nice, and there are lots of safe access places in the park by Great Northern Mall.  

But the Rocky also gets a lot of anglers.  It can get really crowded at peak fishing times.  We aren't there yet, so I expect it to be bearable.  

My son and I were planning on going there this weekend as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/IMG_3953-3142674.png

The Rocky is nice, and there are lots of safe access places in the park by Great Northern Mall.  

But the Rocky also gets a lot of anglers.  It can get really crowded at peak fishing times.  We aren't there yet, so I expect it to be bearable.  

My son and I were planning on going there this weekend as well.

Rocky River Reservation?  Looks like a beautiful park.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Rocky River Reservation?  Looks like a beautiful park.
View Quote

The Metroparks would be a great place to fish with a kid. I always loved fishing Wallace Lake in Berea, but the whole Metroparks system has some good spots.

Metroparks Fishing Areas Guide
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Is there an area you’d recommend that would be safe?

View Quote

There's a ton of places to pull of the side of the road. I would also go by the bridges.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NotDeaf:

There's a ton of places to pull of the side of the road. I would also go by the bridges.

https://i.imgur.com/Bge2KwK.jpg
View All Quotes

Is there an area you’d recommend that would be safe?

Perfect.  Thanks.  I’m hoping last night’s rain doesn’t booger my Saturday plans.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Rocky is pretty safe.  Any of the bridges or fords are usually easy-access.  Down where the east and west branches merge, and north from there is usually where I go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IIRC] [#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Stopped by the Rocky today to check conditions.  Water is pretty low but cleared up nice with that slight green tint.  

Not that many people fishing, but saw some fish in the river and did see one guy land a big steelhead.

My son and I are going to give it a shot tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Don't be discouraged if the water has a slight green tint to it.  That's actually when the Rocky fishes best.

St Patrick’s Day is just around the corner.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36030/IMG_2475-3144236.png

Stopped by the Rocky today to check conditions.  Water is pretty low but cleared up nice with that slight green tint.  

Not that many people fishing, but saw some fish in the river and did see one guy land a big steelhead.

My son and I are going to give it a shot tomorrow.

Son got invited to a paintball party today, so the little shit canceled on me.  We’re going tomorrow— still deciding between Rocky and Chagrin.  The Rocky looks amazing from a scenic point of view.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#20]

We could do an Arfcom meet up at the Rocky.
View All Quotes

Son got invited to a paintball party today, so the little shit canceled on me.  We’re going tomorrow— still deciding between Rocky and Chagrin.  The Rocky looks amazing from a scenic point of view.

Absolutely.  Let me know when and where and we’ll be there.

FYI.  Not familiar with area.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Sorry, I missed your post last night. I have a sick kid this morning so we are going to have to have to miss fishing today.

Good luck!
View All Quotes

Sorry, I missed your post last night. I have a sick kid this morning so we are going to have to have to miss fishing today.

Good luck!

No worries.  We’re under the bridge by the nature center and no one is catching anything.  Not even a bite.  Changing locations now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Are barbed hooks allowed for steelhead?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#25]

Yeah, for sure.  That would be fun.

We went and I had 3 hookups, but landed none of them.  It was my son's first time fly fishing for steelhead and he got skunked.  Still had a great time, though.  

The fish weren't aggressive at all today, but I did see a decent number of them in the river.  

Didn't see anyone else catch any or even fight one on the line.
View All Quotes

Yeah, for sure.  That would be fun.

We went and I had 3 hookups, but landed none of them.  It was my son's first time fly fishing for steelhead and he got skunked.  Still had a great time, though.  

The fish weren't aggressive at all today, but I did see a decent number of them in the river.  

Didn't see anyone else catch any or even fight one on the line.

No one caught a thing from what I could tell and we fished from three different locations, moving further north each time.  My son said he had a nibble, but wasn't sure as it could have been a snag.

I dropped the net and it got caught in the current.  I slipped while in pursuit.  Damn, that water is cold.  Fortunately this event occurred towards the end of our trip.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:30:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#26]
Would be a fun day for the kids.  This is just across the border in Volant, PA.  NC Fly Shop is about as good as a fly shop can be.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Yes.
View All Quotes

Yes.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:34:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Thanks
View Quote

You're welcome.  

Off of top of my head, the only regulations on steelhead are no snagging, and no harvesting eggs for sale.  Brook trout are the only trout that you can't keep, from what I remember.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I caught the one on my wall on the downstream side of the island.  I only kept two, and both because I couldn't revive them.  I gave a 34" to friend who ate it.  The other is a London Strain, so I had it mounted.  

I haven't been in forever, but between steelhead, Smallies, and carp, I have spent more time than I care to remember in that river.  

I was at Horse ford standing next to a guy who landed a 17- or 18-pound MONSTER.  It was the talk of the town.  He had it mounted at the old L and D Bait and Tackle in Lakewood.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]

I used to buy them at a place in Vermilion, but they closed so I buy them online now.

I'm going to check out a couple bait shops around Rocky River this weekend.  I'll let you know what I see.

Are you going to give it a shot this weekend?
View Quote

What's even left?  I sued to use the two in Lakewood, but they are both gone.  Franks at 108/Madison is still open.  I haven't been in there in years and I have no clue if they sell spawn sacks.   I'd guess Shine's on E55th would be geared towards lake/pier fishing over that way.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:38:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#34]

No one caught a thing from what I could tell and we fished from three different locations, moving further north each time.  My son said he had a nibble, but wasn't sure as it could have been a snag.

I dropped the net and it got caught in the current.  I slipped while in pursuit.  Damn, that water is cold.  Fortunately this event occurred towards the end of our trip.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/IMG_3995-3148564.jpg
View Quote

Is that just down stream from the water plant and upstream from a bridge?  If so, a neighbor kid and I were in the patch of woods behind your son many years ago, and got poison oak so bad that he was hospitalized and I couldn't see for a couple days.

ETA - I just saw the waterfall.  That would put you further downstream, almost to the boat ramps.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#38]

I just ended up going to Cabelas and bought some there.  

View Quote

They were the most expensive bait at the store as I recall.

A former friend gave me the eggs out of one he caught. I tied them up on my mom’s dining room table. Quite tedious, but we had bait for a long time! House stunk for a week!  She was not happy….
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#39]

Neshannok Creek was a little busy today.  If you went down stream it opened up.  The boy had a good time and that’s all that mattered.

No luck catching. But at a least I didn’t fall in.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I plan on heading up next Saturday if anybody would like to meet up and fish and go to lunch
View Quote

I would love to but Lacrosse practice.  Youth sports, they suck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#44]

This weekend is looking hot.  Any make it out today or plans on making it out tomorrow?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to try to get down in the next few days.  I've been too busy, lately, but have off for a stretch starting Monday.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Off to Conneaut to freeze.  Wish us luck.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top