Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 12:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KiloBravo]
My wife has it in mind to travel to northern Arkansas for a week-long summer vacation with the girls (17, 14).  We are all active and enjoy the outdoors.  Will be driving up from Fort Worth, TX.  

Specifically, we were thinking about canoeing the Buffalo (I grew up in north Louisiana and have always wanted to), hiking, maybe visit some caves, etc.  Then a swing back through Fayetteville so the youngest can see UofA … she has that on her list of potential colleges.  

The girls enjoy most teenage girl things … selfies and shopping for a random junk, thrift store shopping, etc.

What do you fellers recommend?   Thanks in advance!

ETA:  Looking at the last week of June
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhatsGnu] [#1]
The Buffalo National River is awesome.
But it can be heavily used during peak times. Think Walmart parking lot but with canoes.
If you can catch things midweek, it may be more doable.
Eureka Springs is a quaint and quirky little mountain town.
Leslie Arkansas is a small village with a wood-fired bakery and a couple of very nice restaurants (Ryan's and Skylark).
Jasper Arkansas is a little larger, has a couple of good restaurants, and an arm of the Little Red River right on the edge of town.
Some of the "scenic routes" can have very pretty views, but travel may be slow on the winding roads.
Quite a few waterfalls to be found in North Arkansas.
We enjoy the Ozark Mountains a lot. Can't say enough good about it, there is a surreal calm in that region.

ETA Blanchard Springs Caverns, if they are open, is awesome. Most caves are closed due to an infection that is killing bats. Call ahead to make sure they're open and reserve a tour slot.
Fayetteville has boomed since I was in school there in the 60s-70s. But it is a nice school, large by Arkansas standards but not even close to Ohio State or even UT Austin in size.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
The Buffalo National River is awesome.
But it can be heavily used during peak times. Think Walmart parking lot but with canoes.
If you can catch things midweek, it may be more doable.
Eureka Springs is a quaint and quirky little mountain town.
Leslie Arkansas is a small village with a wood-fired bakery and a couple of very nice restaurants (Ryan's and Skylark).
Jasper Arkansas is a little larger, has a couple of good restaurants, and an arm of the Little Red River right on the edge of town.
Some of the "scenic routes" can have very pretty views, but travel may be slow on the winding roads.
Quite a few waterfalls to be found in North Arkansas.
We enjoy the Ozark Mountains a lot. Can't say enough good about it, there is a surreal calm in that region.

ETA Blanchard Springs Caverns, if they are open, is awesome. Most caves are closed due to an infection that is killing bats. Call ahead to make sure they're open and reserve a tour slot.
Fayetteville has boomed since I was in school there in the 60s-70s. But it is a nice school, large by Arkansas standards but not even close to Ohio State or even UT Austin in size.
View Quote

Thanks so much!   Appreciate the info.  We’ll be headed up on Sunday and back on Friday, so should miss the weekend altogether.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
PM me
Lakehouse on Beaver
Grand daughters in Fayettenam
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I left out the Ozark Folk center in Mountain View.

You don't have enough time allotted so do research.

It will be pretty hot and humid in all likelihood.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cpermd:
I left out the Ozark Folk center in Mountain View.

You don't have enough time allotted so do research.

It will be pretty hot and humid in all likelihood.
View Quote

However humid you think it will be, expect it to be twice as bad, too.
Paint companies used to blend special paints for this region because mildew would eat the paint right off your house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top