Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 8:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texasaggie]
Any good movies about Texas Independence that I can use to introduce my elementary aged kids to some of our Texas history?  There are some great ones that concentrate on the Alamo but are there any that show more of the bigger picture including Sam Houston and the battle of San Jacinto?  

Edit:  Just found one an old one with Sam Elliott as Sam Houston that focuses on his life and role in the revolution that seems pretty good.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:16:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EarlB] [#1]
Unfortunately all I can think of primarily deal with the Alamo such as John Waynes, The Alamo and the later The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory filmed on the same set (there is both a mini series and a movie adapted from it) - great performances from a lot of actors no longer with us.  Alec Baldwin even did a fine job as Travis (this was before he became the buffoon he is now).  

It isn't a movie, but a historical drama and there are some fictional characters - but the best darn telling of the Independence story bar none that I have ever seen..if you have enough classroom time for it (10 hours), treat them to Texas Rising.  It does cover the other events (Gonzales, Goliad, the build up of Houston's Army, San Jacinto, etc.) but it does take some license.  However, it has outstanding performances and provides some context of some historical figures not covered much (Sam Houston usually gets short shrift in most of the Texas Independence movies, this one even covers Deaf Smith extremely well done by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Juan Sequin is also depicted well - (in real life a terrible story how he and most Tejano's were treated after the war)).  And Bill Paxton in one of his last roles is an awesome Sam Houston.  I grew up in Victoria, a stones throw from Goliad and the place where the massacre took place at Fannin.  It was nice to see (a depiction anyways) of 1836 Victoria.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top