Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 2:17:19 PM EDT
Texas HTF!

I spent a few years on the road as a travelling instructor and last year came off my national circuit in Huntsville, AL. (The windshield time was a killer.)  Rocket City is a lovely town, but I need to move to where the market is and Texas is where it is happening!  I intend to teach my classes within a one day drive of DFW.  

The courses I teach ARE NOT of the level 4 plates, 4 tube NVG variety.  I focus on skills that the armed citizen that is concerned with "Just getting home" should acquire.  Currently my flagship class is "Street Encounter Skills and Tactics."  The emphasis is on the soft skills that may preclude having to shoot or giving you time to get into the most advantageous position.  But make no mistake, we shoot plenty with an emphasis on fight stopping accuracy rather than speed.  Frankly, I am not the guy you come to in order to take .5 seconds off your draw stroke.  My goal is to give you 4-5 seconds heads up that things are turning south in order to provide options.  I have a system where I time your performance (both starting AND stopping) based upon visual cues.  You will have to confront ambiguity and cycle through to an effective and defensible response.  Bottom Line:  Understand and prepare for The Problem, Deal with The Problem, Deal with the Problem after the Problem.

Other classes include Vehicle Environment Skills and Tactics and Two Person Tactics

Two Person Tactics

I have taught in Texas for the past few years and have really come to appreciate the people and the culture.

So, what do you guys think?  

I hope to see you all on the range soon!

John

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#1]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:
Texas HTF!

I spent a few years on the road as a travelling instructor and last year came off my national circuit in Huntsville, AL. (The windshield time was a killer.)  Rocket City is a lovely town, but I need to move to where the market is and Texas is where it is happening!  I intend to teach my classes within a one day drive of DFW.  

The courses I teach ARE NOT of the level 4 plates, 4 tube NVG variety.  I focus on skills that the armed citizen that is concerned with "Just getting home" should acquire.  Currently my flagship class is "Street Encounter Skills and Tactics."  The emphasis is on the soft skills that may preclude having to shoot or giving you time to get into the most advantageous position.  But make no mistake, we shoot plenty with an emphasis on fight stopping accuracy rather than speed.  Frankly, I am not the guy you come to in order to take .5 seconds off your draw stroke.  My goal is to give you 4-5 seconds heads up that things are turning south in order to provide options.  I have a system where I time your performance (both starting AND stopping) based upon visual cues.  You will have to confront ambiguity and cycle through to an effective and defensible response.  Bottom Line:  Understand and prepare for The Problem, Deal with The Problem, Deal with the Problem after the Problem.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/SESAT-revised-3077172.jpg

Other classes include Vehicle Environment Skills and Tactics and Two Person Tactics

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/VESAT-3191269.png

Two Person Tactics
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/TPT-3191268.jpg

I have taught in Texas for the past few years and have really come to appreciate the people and the culture.

So, what do you guys think?  

I hope to see you all on the range soon!

John

View Quote

Having taken both your beginning handgun self defense class as well as the advanced one back in the day, I'd say there is a lucrative market for same. Since you teach "soft skills" but also have guest instructors that do various other types of instruction, that's probably a good thing. Finding a place to do that where you have lots of land to set up a range that won't upset the neighbors is going to be the hardest part. Ever since the work from home folks figured out they could cut their cost of living dramatically by moving out of the city and into the country, lots of former farmland has been turned into housing developments.

Also, as a suggestion, I'd look for a place that isn't obnoxiously hot and humid in the summer. That was my one gripe with both the classes I took.

Signed, "Stylish mofo".
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Having taken both your beginning handgun self defense class as well as the advanced one back in the day, I'd say there is a lucrative market for same. Since you teach "soft skills" but also have guest instructors that do various other types of instruction, that's probably a good thing. Finding a place to do that where you have lots of land to set up a range that won't upset the neighbors is going to be the hardest part. Ever since the work from home folks figured out they could cut their cost of living dramatically by moving out of the city and into the country, lots of former farmland has been turned into housing developments.

Also, as a suggestion, I'd look for a place that isn't obnoxiously hot and humid in the summer. That was my one gripe with both the classes I took.

Signed, "Stylish mofo".
View Quote

Oh, I still have the range in Culpeper, but I moved into an RV and toured the country a couple of years ago.  I am looking at renting established facilities...ETTS in Waxahachie and Fossil Pointe in Decatur for the DFW area classes.   I will also be at the Dallas Pistol Club twice a year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome John!

You will be a great addition to Texas!

My wife loved the class she took with you.

We're partial to East Texas but that would put you on the far side of the MetroMess from the ranges you mentioned.  We've got friends out by Decatur and that area is filling up fast.  New subdivisions going in every time we go out to volunteer at their dog rescue.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes!!!  Would love to have you base here in Texas! I took Street Encounters around 2 yrs ago at DPC from you!. Would love to do your shotgun course.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:36:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#5]
Welcome to Texas 1911SFOREVER !

Would love to refresh some training with you for my son & I.

Welcome to the Lone Star State (B.T.W. we get really HOT in the Summer 🔥 🥵)

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a reasonable price and a lot of good info. I'm all about about getting the hell out of a situation a few minutes prior to a possible gun fight. I tell my kids, it's a lot harder to get killed in a shopping mall shooting if you're in a car going 60 mph a few blocks down the street.

I don't know that I've ever had a class where we focused on drawing from a holster. Usually it's discouraged, which is a shame. Always figured I'd never be able to beat anyone to the draw, I just needed to get there first mentally or have some cover handy. Anything you'd recommend?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Sounds like a reasonable price and a lot of good info. I'm all about about getting the hell out of a situation a few minutes prior to a possible gun fight. I tell my kids, it's a lot harder to get killed in a shopping mall shooting if you're in a car going 60 mph a few blocks down the street.

I don't know that I've ever had a class where we focused on drawing from a holster. Usually it's discouraged, which is a shame. Always figured I'd never be able to beat anyone to the draw, I just needed to get there first mentally or have some cover handy. Anything you'd recommend?

View Quote

You will get 100-125 presentations from the holster in my course, but in about 25% of them you won't shoot.   I don't want to program students to automatically shoot upon the presentation.  I teach "time and timing."  I will time your "first, best shot" to a visual stimulus, then instruct you about appropriate timing.  LOTS of verbalization and movement, plus intermediate force, interacting with law enforcement and a few other tricks.

Thanks!

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top