Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 1:59:36 PM EDT
I need some help. The wife and I are taking our family to Telluride over the 4th of July this year for our family vacation. It will be us, our 2 kiddos, my mother, my sister, and my mother in law. Hoping you guys can give me some family friendly suggestions for things to do and places to eat in Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton. We will be there July 2 through the 6th. We are driving in from Southern New Mexico. Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'd say "mountain biking, hiking, four-wheeling, etc.", but with a big group like that, I think sight-seeing might be the most applicable.

Ouray has a lot for the whole family - hot springs, strolling down main street, etc.

Silverton is kind of a hard-core high-altitude town.  Just a few restaurants and shops.  Maybe a 4x4 tour?

Telluride is a bit more cosmopolitan jet-setter with a ski-town, outdoorsy vibe.  High end restaurants combined with a Grateful Dead, dive bar mix.  Great place, spectacular views.  Take the gondola, explore, hike, etc.  Spa day?  

Maybe make the driving loop.... Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray, Durango, Dolores, back to Telluride.  Prettiest part of the state.  Dolores is a funky town.  Brewery there is great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Not exactly Telluride, but worth the trip to head to Mesa Verde and four corners.

Most of what you do around Telluride has to do w/ outdoor stuff.  Hiking, white water rafting, fly fishing, etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
Well, I'd say "mountain biking, hiking, four-wheeling, etc.", but with a big group like that, I think sight-seeing might be the most applicable.

Ouray has a lot for the whole family - hot springs, strolling down main street, etc.

Silverton is kind of a hard-core high-altitude town.  Just a few restaurants and shops.  Maybe a 4x4 tour?

Telluride is a bit more cosmopolitan jet-setter with a ski-town, outdoorsy vibe.  High end restaurants combined with a Grateful Dead, dive bar mix.  Great place, spectacular views.  Take the gondola, explore, hike, etc.  Spa day?  

Maybe make the driving loop.... Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray, Durango, Dolores, back to Telluride.  Prettiest part of the state.  Dolores is a funky town.  Brewery there is great.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Cacinok:
Not exactly Telluride, but worth the trip to head to Mesa Verde and four corners.

Most of what you do around Telluride has to do w/ outdoor stuff.  Hiking, white water rafting, fly fishing, etc.
View Quote
Thank you for the input. It does help with the decision making.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
not sure if your kiddos are old enough
https://ourayviaferrata.org/

T-ride is perhaps the smuggest town in the west, and I have worked in all of them.   The landscape is outstanding.  

Currently it is "mud season" so many places are closed but I can update in the next few weeks.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top