Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2023 7:04:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, sorry, yet another out-of-stater thinking of moving/retiring to Nevada, wife and I are looking at a short list of places to move to and N. NV looks interesting, was hoping for more info on what it's like there. We are not far from there now as we live in Nampa ID, considering buying a small chunk of land and trying Nevada at least for a while.

We are both in our mid-to-late 50's, are very self-contained and don't require much but privacy. Wondering though what the water situation is like though as that's an issue because we'd like to have a small garden or greenhouse and maybe some chickens. Trees would be nice but doesn't seem like there's that many around.

Looking at somewhere north, maybe on the Elko side. I can work from anywhere and the wife is a medical professional so if no local hospitals she can do an occasional traveler job, so that's not a problem.

It goes without saying that we are hardcore 2A and conservative voters, in fact was wondering about the legalities of renting a backhoe and building us a big berm on the property for shooting.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated, i'll buy ya a beer and if we make it y'all are welcome to visit and shoot!

~Jack and Shana
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#1]
Elmo gets much more snow and cold than anywhere. Plus it is more expensive to live out there due to the money people make working for the mines. There is probably a hospital out there, but I’ve never been so I can’t comment on how good it is. I would avoid living in Elmo mostly due to the winters being much harder in eastern Nevada.

As for water...you’re moving to the desert. Water is always in short supply. Even after the massive winter we had there isn’t enough water.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You're moving FROM a free state to Eastern California?  Okay, whatever floats your boat.  My wife and I can't escape these idiots fast enough and get back to her hometown of Idaho Falls.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't move into this state.  

I've been attempting my escape from north mexico / east commiefornia.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Winnemucca has about anything you need plus a beautiful shooting facility north of town.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
OP, if you move to a rural community Nevada is great. None of the nonsense is in those areas. LV, Reno and such its no different than L.A. or Chicago.
View Quote

Yes and no. If you have kids the educational standards are set at the state level. Not good IMO.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
But how those standards are met are decided by the districts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StanleySpidowski] [#8]
Originally Posted By crapshoot:
View Quote

Yes to a point,but they are met, and the state education people are straight up lunatics.They will be taught the pronoun crap you can count on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:

Yes to a point,but they are met, and the state education people are straight up lunatics.They will be taught the pronoun crap you can count on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crapshoot:

He, she, it. I just use an acronym SHIT.
She that use to be a him is SHIM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
They are lunatics and leftists, but my kid's haven't been taught the pronoun crap.

Do you have kids in the district or just making stuff up?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By arashi:
They are lunatics and leftists, but my kid's haven't been taught the pronoun crap.

Do you have kids in the district or just making stuff up?
View Quote

Used to. Not making shit up.It will be a little slower coming to rural areas but Im convinced that NV education was fucked before covid.Keep close tabs on your school boards.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:

We live rural and it's not coming here. I've talked to a number of other parents and I'm not worried in the least that kind of cancer will be here.
View Quote

If your kids are in public education you should most definately be worried. Probably about the time you finish your house and shop is when you will realize its too late.Education has a ton of influence at the state level. Suit yourself though,I hope you are right WP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]

If your kids are in public education you should most definately be worried. Probably about the time you finish your house and shop is when you will realize its too late.Education has a ton of influence at the state level. Suit yourself though,I hope you are right WP.
View Quote

His wife is an educator and has things covered.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies guys, we are still undecided and still looking, just talked to some pretty clueless realtor who had very little in the way of answers for common questions. Found a place with a well/septic but apparently the county is unaware of it....real leery of stuff like that. Tough to find a place with a well already in place.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JRoy:
Winnemucca has about anything you need plus a beautiful shooting facility north of town.
View Quote

You just hush!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top