Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2021 11:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bushamster21]
Moving forward - only regional based members will be added; Idaho, E. Washington, E. Oregon, N Utah, N. Nevada, Wyoming, and Montana . 2021 accounts to require added scrutiny. Exceptions may be made.

With the recent events was thinking a CLOSED/INVITE ONLY telegram group for our state would be a good idea in case we lose the site again. But I'm concerned with having an open link out in the world so something along the lines of reputable members that can vouch for each other i.e. cola warrior attendees, APC members, local shop owner/employees etc.? Any interest in something like this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested, and there are a few on this local board that can vouch for me, and I can vouch for quite a few if anyone wants me to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Telegram. I'm also looking at Signal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Im down.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe someone in the Idaho Telegram group will be able to tell me why people leave their shopping carts out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get one rolling, let me know. I know I have a few people's contact info from APC stuff, but if anyone wants mine, let me know. While it is nice to dream that this site will stay operational and we will be able to keep things going as normal, I highly suspect that is not the case and there needs to be alternate methods of communication.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll set something up this evening. Will send invites via DM. Should help with comms continuity for setting up meet ups as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in. As long as we can keep the dick pics and N bombs to a minimum. Lol, just based on the one that got started yesterday when Arfcom went down and I thought we were foing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Check your DMs for the link
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Extrabonez:
If you get one rolling, let me know. I know I have a few people's contact info from APC stuff, but if anyone wants mine, let me know. While it is nice to dream that this site will stay operational and we will be able to keep things going as normal, I highly suspect that is not the case and there needs to be alternate methods of communication.
View Quote

I made you a member as necessary to create a group. I hope I got the right person
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
@CaliContractor
@dillydilly

Interested?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bushamster21:
@CaliContractor
@dillydilly

Interested?
View Quote

Tbh, I’m super weary of social media these days. Arfcom is literally the only place I really post my opinions/views and even then I’m considering holding back on my more deeper thoughts. DM me with your response on my concerns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Tbh, I’m super weary of social media these days. Arfcom is literally the only place I really post my opinions/views and even then I’m considering holding back on my more deeper thoughts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@CaliContractor
@dillydilly

Interested?

Tbh, I’m super weary of social media these days. Arfcom is literally the only place I really post my opinions/views and even then I’m considering holding back on my more deeper thoughts.

Telegram is a messaging app with with a history that can be cleared, has to be done manually but it could be setup on regular intervals. Really seeing this to set things up to make it easier to for hikes and meets through a more secure channel than just posting here.

None the less I understand either way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Telegram is a messaging app with with a history that can be cleared, has to be done manually but it could be setup on regular intervals. Really seeing this to set things up to make it easier to for hikes and meets through a more secure channel than just posting here.

View Quote

I’ll DM you my decision.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]

I’ll DM you my decision.
View All Quotes

I’ll DM you my decision.

Sounds good
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm like dilly, the only social media print I have is here.  I have never had any trust in these platforms. There are several guys here that can reach me anytime. Once I know a few more of you I can broaden my base.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't spent any time on telegram, but send me a link and I'll start figuring it out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Sent
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know much about it, but am interested.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]
DMs sent to both of you
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By retroangles:
I don't know much about it, but am interested.

View Quote

Telegram is an encrypted chat system.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Any chance i could get into chat with one of you guys who has access to the chat? Since i dont live in idaho currently, i dont want to be all up in the chat, but if arf and other means of communicating are shut off and i move, itd be nice to have an in.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCHawk] [#23]
I’m in, great idea to keep up comms if they hit us again. Please IM me the link.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Added the above. Moving forward - only regional based members will be added; Idaho, E. Washington, E. Oregon, N Utah, N. Nevada, Wyoming, and Montana . 2021 accounts to require added scrutiny. Exceptions can be made.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm on Signal with a bunch of Arfcommers US wide. It's a group started back in the BBM days. Send me one for this if you don't mind. It would be good to have a local group going.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Id be interested.  Got a PM from somebody.  Not sure if its related to this or not.  If it is it may be nice to know just so we dont have fake account getting people to register for who knows what.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JHans7663:
Id be interested.  Got a PM from somebody.  Not sure if its related to this or not.  If it is it may be nice to know just so we dont have fake account getting people to register for who knows what.
View Quote

At the moment, I'm the admin of the group. With Telegram I can revoke the original invite link and auto-generate a new one on a whim. Which has been done meaning previous invite links will not work
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Is that the default now? That wasn't always the case.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:

Per there literature, yes. The super encrypted stuff is one-to-one only and has to be setup as a "secret" chat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m kind of like minded as Dilly and CaliContractor. I’m a little hesitant after the Parler thing too. Do you have to give your SSN or any other type of info?

I’ll wait to see what @dillydilly does. He’s my computer nerd friend and knows more about this shit than I do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
I’m kind of like minded as Dilly and CaliContractor. I’m a little hesitant after the Parler thing too. Do you have to give your SSN or any other type of info?

I’ll wait to see what @dillydilly does. He’s my computer nerd friend and knows more about this shit than I do.
View Quote

No. In fact you can access it via other platforms as well. I use it on my PC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

So its similar to Viber yes? Cause that's encrypted to and you can have groups in it as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#33]

So its similar to Viber yes? Cause that's encrypted to and you can have groups in it as well.
View All Quotes

I haven't used viber, but it appears to be the same idea.

Here is a link to Telegrams FAQ regarding security: Link eesmith is also using telegram to dispense truth bombs and knowledge
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

View Quote

Just need a phone number. Ways around that though.

How to use telegram without a phone number
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m north Idaho if I can grab a DM invite
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm be interested. I've never used Telegram but I can learn.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I am expressing interest in joining.  I hear its "poppin".
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Interested in learning more. I'm on the Western Idaho MeWe but it seems more like GD any anything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#39]
All of the above have been added.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd be interested but can't get past the contact sharing. Do they really need access to my contacts?

A big no go for me. Is there a workaround?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By chase237:
I'd be interested but can't get past the contact sharing. Do they really need access to my contacts?

View All Quotes

The workaround? Don't install it on your phone, just your desktop. Run a VPN like Proton and from there you can communicate securely and privately.
This is what I have found. As with any commercial system, you won't want to discuss sensitive information. Telegram can see your contact information, as it is used to help link you to other people.

When you sign up for Telegram, you have to give the app permission to make and receive calls on your phone and give the app your phone number. Unfortunately, if you want to sign up for Telegram on your primary phone, you have to give this information up.

However, Telegram does not use the number to communicate with you, and it does not share the number with other users. The username on your account becomes your identifying token for the service.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Eukatae:

Maybe I'll pin this, for awhile anyway. What say you Bushamster21?
View Quote

Sure! Lets do this!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#44]

The workaround? Don't install it on your phone, just your desktop. Run a VPN like Proton and from there you can communicate securely and privately.
This is what I have found. As with any commercial system, you won't want to discuss sensitive information. Telegram can see your contact information, as it is used to help link you to other people.

View All Quotes

When you sign up for Telegram, you have to give the app permission to make and receive calls on your phone and give the app your phone number. Unfortunately, if you want to sign up for Telegram on your primary phone, you have to give this information up.

However, Telegram does not use the number to communicate with you, and it does not share the number with other users. The username on your account becomes your identifying token for the service.

Installed on my phone, telegram has zero permissions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm on it already, can I get an invite?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Added
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Idahoskunk] [#47]
Add me please @Idahoskunk
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Can you DM me, I'd like to be able to stay in touch as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hanko] [#49]
I'd appreciate an invite.  We've lived in Canyon county for the last 18 years...I married a native.  NO pics.

I think a Telegram group is a great idea, and I'm hoping it doesn't disintegrate into a "state of Jefferson" dream state.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm interested though I don't personally know anyone here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top