Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2023 7:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MkTwain]
UPDATE 5/2:  The house passed the bill.  Contact Senator Tim Knopp (https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/knopp) and your local senator as well. Tell them to deny a quorum and walk out of the HB2005 vote.  (not sure of the SB name yet).
After that, it's just a lot of money to lawyers and however many years it takes to overturn the abomination.

Original Post:

It's going to be a difficult year for Oregon gun owners.

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/times-up

From the article:

The time has come.

HB 2005 could be voted in on the House Floor as early as tomorrow. It received its "Second Reading" today. That was the last stop before a vote.

There is no more time for games and no more time for excuses.

Under this bill all AR-15 style firearms, and countless others no doubt, will be banned from sale or transfer in Oregon. Possession of any AR-15 style rifle will be outlawed.

This is because the geniuses in the Oregon Legislature have redefined what a "receiver" (meaning a "firearm") is.

Now, previously-unregulated parts of firearms will require serial numbers that "have been imprinted  by a federally licensed firearm manufacturer, importer or dealer, or a gunsmith with a federal firearms license, in accordance with federal law."

But Federal law does not require serial numbers on the parts of firearms this law now regulates.

The bill ends Second Amendment Rights for 18-20 year olds despite the fact that the Democrats KNOW this has been found to be unconstitutional.  Furthermore it will ban licensed concealed carry in vast parts of the state since any government owned building and nearby property can be declared off limits.

If you have ever attended a rally at the Capitol you know that all the buildings that surround the park across the street from the Capitol building are state buildings. They will certainly soon all be off limits.  Licensed, armed gun owners will essentially be banned from any rallies just as they have been banned from the Capitol Building itself.

We are going to make this crystal clear. If the Republicans are on the floor when this bill is voted on, it will pass and anything the Republicans say about it won't mean a damn thing. They can whine all they want about how they will  "strongly oppose" it and give whatever fiery speeches they like. But they will have essentially voted "YES" simply by being there.

House Republican Leader Vikki Breese Iverson has just declared her "friendship" with the people who are pushing this insane elimination of your rights.

"I think we have formed a friendship if you will," House Republican Leader Vikki Breese-Iverson said of her political dynamic with House Speaker Dan Rayfield, D-Corvallis.

If Iverson allows her members to be on the House Floor for a vote on this bill it will be obvious that her "friendship" with the gun grabbers is far more important to her than the rights of the people who elected Republicans.

This is Iverson's last chance to step up.  Please call her today and tell her your rights are more important than her "friendship" with the people who are destroying this state.

Vikki Breese Iverson

503-986-1459

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/breese-iverson

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously the bill is bad either way, but I can't suss out what parts would have to be serialized...

Is it every firearm part? If I buy a new set of gas rings, do those have to be serialized?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like this has been suspended until 5/2/23

We cannot let up. Everyone needs to get involved
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Fight, my OR friends. You may be watching what’s happening to us with HB1240, our AWB. It’s as if OR told WA, ‘hold my beer’.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been passed by the house.  Time to call and write to your senate reps.

And send a nice note to Senator Tim Knopp, the lead Republican in the house.  Tell him and his fellow republicans to WALK OUT and deny a quorum to the Dems.

This is literally our only hope at this point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
OR folks, this looks really bad and I am truly sorry to see this. Outlawing possession and requiring serialization of parts is beyond what passed in WA. As the dust is still settling, we’ve discovered some parts are still available to buy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I just read the amendments to the bill and I still don’t know exactly what needs to be serialized.

I will be sending funds to whomever fights this pos legislation in a court not in the Eugene-Portland corridor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If an ffl, gunsmith or manufacture can serialize an upper what good will it do without a tracking system monitored and maintained by the state? I’ll have my ffl engrave my upper with xoxo12937451 and it is meaningless without reporting. Unless I missed it there was nothing about reporting in the legislation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
If an ffl, gunsmith or manufacture can serialize an upper what good will it do without a tracking system monitored and maintained by the state? I’ll have my ffl engrave my upper with xoxo12937451 and it is meaningless without reporting. Unless I missed it there was nothing about reporting in the legislation.
View Quote

FFL may be required to put it in their books once engraved.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
What if someone has a home built NFA registered SBR with a homebrew serial number? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
What if someone has a home built NFA registered SBR with a homebrew serial number? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Good question as I have a friend like that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#11]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

FFL may be required to put it in their books once engraved.
View Quote

I’m not an ffl so don’t know the documentation they do beyond the 4473. Also, is their book a federal form? Does it have a space for “upper serial number?” Not sure how that will work.

But the whole thing is moot because if every ffl in the state starts with sn 0001 for example, how many uppers will end up with that sn? I saw nothing in the legislation the establishes the allocation of serial numbers. If they are thinking the sn of the lower will be placed on the upper they don’t understand how this works. I have quite a few uppers with no lower. Typical .gov operation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, shit!

Anything happening with this?
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Nehi:
Well, shit!

Anything happening with this?
View Quote

I haven’t seen the final form it took. I am afraid to look…
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#14]

I’m not an ffl so don’t know the documentation they do beyond the 4473. Also, is their book a federal form? Does it have a space for “upper serial number?” Not sure how that will work.

But the whole thing is moot because if every ffl in the state starts with sn 0001 for example, how many uppers will end up with that sn? I saw nothing in the legislation the establishes the allocation of serial numbers. If they are thinking the sn of the lower will be placed on the upper they don’t understand how this works. I have quite a few uppers with no lower. Typical .gov operation.
View Quote

If it's anything like the federal one the requirement will be to include some part of their federal FFL ID.

No, the Salem and Portland commies have no idea how the law works, what is and isn't legal, what is and isn't morally right or what the constitution is let alone anything that isn't "ma feelz".
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]

If it's anything like the federal one the requirement will be to include some part of their federal FFL ID.

No, the Salem and Portland commies have no idea how the law works, what is and isn't legal, what is and isn't morally right or what the constitution is let alone anything that isn't "ma feelz".
View Quote

The problem is they didn’t write that into the law as far as I saw. They aren’t the AFT so don’t think they can change the law or modify it to suit their desires.

But I am a simple man so…
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]

The problem is they didn’t write that into the law as far as I saw. They aren’t the AFT so don’t think they can change the law or modify it to suit their desires.

But I am a simple man so…
View Quote

Screw em then. Continue as have have been.

All this shits so tiresome.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Screw em then. Continue as have have been.

All this shits so tiresome.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
A piece at time....one state a time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Can somebody post what finally got passed and what the new laws are? Maybe we could get this tacked or a new post just letting people know the new laws.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Piratepast40] [#21]
Didn't realize it hadn't been posted on this forum.  Here's the link to the revision that was passed:

Oregon HB2005

Here's a link to the thread on HB2005 on the NW Firearms Forum: Link.  Go to the last few pages to see the latest interpretations.

EDIT: Here's another discussion on NF Firearms about serial numbers: Here.  Both have good information.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you. I appreciate the links.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top