Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2023 10:51:02 AM EDT
My elderly parents (mid 70s), want to go to Alaska to see the lights. I've looked on line and I keep seeing go to Fairbanks and March is the best month. I can't swing this March, but the net says September is good too.

If we go in September, I'll be limited to 9 days, if we go in March, I can take more time off. Also, what else is there to do in the Fairbanks area?

Jason
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely better chances in Fairbanks than Anchorage.

Not a whole lot of rhyme or reason(well there is, but not predictable by month) as to when to see them. Just has to be dark and a clear sky.

With that being said some of the best shows I’ve seen were sitting in my duck blind the opening day(September 1st) of duck season.

As for other things to do in Fairbanks:

Chena hot springs is the biggest tourist destination. I’m not the biggest fan but most tourists consider it a must do.

Dog sled/reindeer.

Santa Claus house

Castner glacier is a little over 2 mile easy walk round trip. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Aurora season is "officially" August through April, although late September to late March is best.  

There's more to do in March as (depending when you're here) a lot of winter stuff is starting to wrap up.  For example there's the North American Classic limited and open divisions that are usually racing 2-3 weekends in a row in March.  The World Ice Art Championships are usually pretty nice early in March before they start to melt, etc.  September has nice weather usually, but a lot of places are shut down for the season.

For sheer 'stuff to do' I'd lean toward march.  You might have to deal with icy roads or weather, but there's usually a fair bit of stuff going on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top