Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2024 2:28:04 PM EDT
Both are fairly close but have heard sketchy things.

Fill me in on each range.  What are good times to go?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Boggy Head= unsupervised. Should definitely go with a buddy to watch your gear while you're down range. People finger fucking their gear while you're changing targets. AR pistols with no sights just blasting off into the cosmos. Going during busy times like Saturday morning is the best way to avoid sketchy individuals but may have to wait for a lane. Always keep a spare loaded pistol mag that doesnt get used for range use for exfil.

Twin Ponds= supervised, used to have to sign in, not sure if thats still a thing. Still bring a buddy to watch over your gear while you're down range. People still finger fucking their gear while you're changing your targets. Went to change my target and a chick lit a round off as I was rounding the benches to head downrange. Less chance of getting robbed due to aforementioned supervision and check in.

Bonus tip: At Boggy Head you will see a pile of trash/ targets/ ammo boxes off to the side with no mention that this is not what you're supposed to do. On busy days they will have an undercover sit in a car in the parking area and call up to the other undercover at the entrance of the range to write you a ticket if you throw and targets/ trash on the pile.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
TP is supervised and actually very nice but they are pretty strict on safety. They call the range cold at specified times and it is enforced. You're expected to police your brass without going over the red line but you can go in front of the benches, odd but it works I suppose. Most importantly - No Rapid Fire!

BH is unsupervised and can get a little wild although I've not had any major issues over a couple decades shooting there. I've been muzzle swept a time or two so keep an eye peeled on your fellow shooters. It was at Boggy Head, years ago, that I meet a couple fellow ARFCOM members and we're good friends to this day!

I was last there April 4th along with some work friends. One buddy brought his teenage daughter and between her and another young boy at the table next to us it was one of the best range days in recent memory. Nothing beats watching kids shoot the M16 & MP5.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The last time I was at BH I called "Range cold!" during a lull in shooting. One of the guys on the line looked at me like, "Huh? It's pretty warm out here." Seeing his puzzled look I followed up with, "I want to check my target, so no shooting. OK?"

"OK."

A couple of other people and I went downrange and tended our targets. When I got back to the line this Deliverance looking bubba said, "I could see you real good - I was watchin' you in my scope."

I packed up and left, and joined Palmetto Gun Club.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Boggy head scares the shit out of me.  I went twice and never returned.  

It's unsafe.  

Twin Ponds is decent.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The yin and yang. They could do a Twilight Zone or Star Trek episode featuring the 2 ranges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top