Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 9:31:00 AM EDT
Who’s our eyes in the northwoods that can give us a sitrep?

Thinking about canoe camping Turtle Flambeau next week.  

Assume since the mild winter lake is totally open?  Lake level?  Trees sprouting leaves yet and have the bugs emerged?

Forecast temps show about a low of 40 and high of 60.  May roll the dice and leave the ‘no bug zone’ at home and just bring a tarp.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:11:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#1]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Who’s our eyes in the northwoods that can give us a sitrep?

Thinking about canoe camping Turtle Flambeau next week.  

Assume since the mild winter lake is totally open?  Lake level?  Trees sprouting leaves yet and have the bugs emerged?

Forecast temps show about a low of 40 and high of 60.  May roll the dice and leave the ‘no bug zone’ at home and just bring a tarp.
View Quote

I'm about 70 miles south & east of it (near Eagle River). I follow (on farcebook) a resort on the flowage that is next to one family friends owned in the 70-80-90s, which is now a private residence. Water level is down about 3'-4' as of a few days ago. Trees are just starting to grow buds, no "green" yet. Have not seen any bugs yet either. But I'm not on the water... so it might be different where you're canoeing.

If you are on farcebook, search "Donners Bay". They have pictures of water level.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m not on Facebook

3-4 ft low sounds pretty significant.  The stumps in the quiet zone area are probably sticking well out of the water.  Was planning to camp on Blair Lake and I imagine with water that low it’s probably cut off from the rest of the lake.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:01:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
I’m not on Facebook

3-4 ft low sounds pretty significant.  The stumps in the quiet zone area are probably sticking well out of the water.  Was planning to camp on Blair Lake and I imagine with water that low it’s probably cut off from the rest of the lake.
View Quote

It's been 3 decades since I was on the flowage when it wasn't frozen, so I don't recall how that level effects different areas. I do know it's been a lot lower than it is now.

I'm more familiar with the Rainbow Flowage, which is also 3' below full currently. Last fall's duck season it was 11' below full. Now that was significant, and 3' is nothing there.

We hunted on the lake bottom last fall, with a portable blind set up on a mud flat that's normally 8-12' under water. For all intents & purposes, it was ideal for us. We were right out in the middle, water 360 degrees around us, lots of natural food on the lake bottom exposed for migrators, and not many assholes in fishing boats to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
As for water levels... it rained last friday. Again on Saturday. Heavy rain on Sunday, and more rain coming today and tomorrow. Weather service even advised about rising river levels, this morning. So I'm thinking that the "3' below full" will be disappearing soon.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top