Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2022 8:42:40 PM EDT

They are small fish in the minnow family.  They prefer slow-moving streams and ponds.  Though they don’t grow large, only up to a few inches, usually 1 1/2 to 3”, they are in the pike family.

Central Mudminnow

I’ve read that they can be found in western Vermont and around the Lake Champlain area.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#1]
yup, i have pictures of them, last one i found was in otter creek, ill find the picture i have
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#2]
and no i diddnt kill it  i released it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZoToL:
and no i diddnt kill it  i released it.

https://i.imgur.com/5ZsAypg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bb8IkKk.jpg
View Quote

Awesome!

Have you ever kept them as pets?  I’m interested in breeding them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#4]
no , I thought about it but I'm too lazy for fish tanks now. when i was younger i was successful with dace and crayfish in a fish tank.  The one above i got with a minnow net in central vt, it was acting weird for a fish and me and my buddy wanted to identify what it was. Ive caught sculpin as well but they require cold water i think. Even see many baby pike in the same area after breeding time. Like 3in long and they still hunt like the big ones do, kinda crazy to see a tiny pike hunt and kill a minnow, seen baby gar as well micro predators, very fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
no , I thought about it but I'm too lazy for fish tanks now. when i was younger i was successful with dace and crayfish in a fish tank.  The one above i got with a minnow net in central vt, it was acting weird for a fish and me and my buddy wanted to identify what it was. Ive caught sculpin as well but they require cold water i think. Even see many baby pike in the same area after breeding time. Like 3in long and they still hunt like the big ones do, kinda crazy to see a tiny pike hunt and kill a minnow, seen baby gar as well micro predators, very fun to watch.
View Quote

Very cool!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#6]
your inbox is full,  was in the shoreham/cornwall area. Leister i think? im horrible remember towns. Very versed in the back roads there even though its been awhile ive been. Was 3 or 4 of those and curiosity got us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#7]
your inbox is full,  was in the shoreham/cornwall area. Leister i think? im horrible remember towns. Very versed in the back roads there even though its been awhile ive been. Was 3 or 4 of those and curiosity got us.
View Quote

@ZoToL

Box emptied.  Thank you!  Where I grew up in Canada we had a ton of them but none locally so I’m trying to find a source!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top