Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2024 5:06:37 AM EDT
Hey team, help a former Californian out in understanding “The Visiting out of stater laws”.

I’m planning a trip “Home” for a visit, I live in AZ. I want to meet up with my mom and grandson and take them to a range there, bring a few of my toys too. What’s the ammo procedure? I understand that as an out of state resident, I can’t buy ammo in California, so, can I bring ammo with me? What are the rules about bringing ammo with me?

Also, I’ve bought my mom a revolver for a Christmas present, I was going to give it to her in person when she came out to AZ, but she couldn’t make the trip, so, I want to give it to her when I come to California to visit. Is there anything “special” that I have to do, or can I just hand it to her like I can in AZ? Every year, I know the gun laws get stricter, but I am not “in the know” of what I am allowed to legally do there present time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I lived in ca before going to az.When i go back i take a gun with me and my own ammo.You can buy ammo at a range to use there if needed though.

As for giving the gun you will need to go to ffl for a transfer and its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe CA is GTG with just filling out the intrafamilial transfer form and sending it in, but since it's interstate, the Feds require using an FFL. The intrafamilial exception to the roster still applies, though, so just use the FFL and it should be good.

As for ammo, only residents are restricted in bringing in ammo. As a non-resident you can bring in as much as you'd like for personal use and I highly recommend that you do this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You can bring in ammunition for personal use while you visit.

Federally, you cannot give your mom a revolver when she visits you, and you cannot give it to her when you visit here. The transfer must go through an FFL. If the revolver is not on the handgun roster, then make sure that the California transfer dealer is aware of the intrafamilial transfer exemption to the roster for interstate transfers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys! I sure appreciate the advice. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top