Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2023 9:50:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FS2000GUY]
Good morning island ARFCOMMERS, I am visiting HI 2/5 thru 2/10 for a hunting trip on Lanai and I have a question I am hoping one of the locals can help with.  

We (GF and I) are arrived on 2/5 on or about 4pm local time.  The last ferry for Lanai leaves at 4pm so I doubt we will catch that one.  

My question is are there any other mean of getting over there outside of another plane flight...ie....private boat, anyone got a boat and wanna give us a lift, different service?  

Thank you for any information you can give.

FS2000Guy
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You are pretty much stuck on Maui for the night.  I suggest you take a flight on Mokulele Airlines the following morning, they have one that departs Maui around 7:40.  Small planes, no TSA and are used to hunters going to Lanai.

Website Here

There is a Marriott near the airport but pricey so Maui Beach Hotel is another option that has shuttles. Maui Beach Hotel Don't really expect a beach.

I live on the Big Island but work on a normally uninhabited island south of Maui (Kaho`olawe) and I pretty much fly Mokulele and if I have an over nighter it is at Maui Beach Hotel. You can have dinner at the hotel or walk over to the mall across the street. The Mexican place is pretty good.

You do know the deer on Lanai are small, right?  Not much bigger than a German Shepherd.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the insight and I will be checking out those options for sure.  

I am not aware of the deer size and I am not really too concerned with it as this was an invite trip as I am friends with the nephew of a guy that owns some hunting outfit over there and I did them some favors and got a free invite so to be honest I have no real idea what I am getting myself into.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Lanai is interesting as it is completely owned by Larry Ellison and is dominated by two high end resorts.  Very few people live there.  The island used to be covered in pineapple fields until that industry here went away and the resorts became the dominant feature.  There are a lot of axis deer and you'll have a blast hunting them.

While there, if you look across the water to the east you'll see another, slightly smaller island called Kaho`olawe that was used as a bombing target for 60 years that is uninhabited except for 10 days a month.  That's where I work.

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to be there on the 5th then only option is to catch one of the smaller commuter planes. Or, you can catch the 6:45 am ferry on the 6th.

Or you can check with a charter fishing boat and see if they’ll take you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats got to be a cool job, working on a bomb out island.  You probably get to see alot of cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FS2000GUY:
Thats got to be a cool job, working on a bomb out island.  You probably get to see alot of cool stuff.
View Quote

Found this last year:

Attachment Attached File

But my primary job is running the Base Camp that supports the State's restoration efforts in removing invasive species and replanting barren areas.  Me and my crew maintain various buildings, vehicles, infrastructure, make feash water from seawater, make power and provide meal service to staff and volunteers.  Dealing with UXO is a side job in the event someone finds something suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Your Job sounds fucking cool.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
Your Job sounds fucking cool.
View Quote

I'm spending 2 days in Pearl Harbor next week using a magnetometer so drillers don't get blown up hitting UXO from the attack.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top