Summary?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AdLucem:
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4rl3PUSP5U

Summary?
Yes it is tough. Trying to parse it out myself. I know, he's a lawyer, and what could be said in 7 minutes takes 15 minutes Rather than spell out exactly what is going on, takes the most twisted circuitous route to arrive at an explanation.

Explains why billable hours are so high
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#3]
The state's response is utter bullshit as expected.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/23-910.html

If I was an anti gun NYer, I'd be pissed my tax dollars were going to such pitiful lawyers with such idiotic arguments.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:
The state's response is utter bullshit as expected.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/23-910.html

If I was an anti gun NYer, I'd be pissed my tax dollars were going to such pitiful lawyers with such idiotic arguments.
View Quote

Yeah I read it last night and my take was it was a flowery bouquet of bullshit.

Arguments:

1. You shouldn't take up this case because you usually don't take up interlocutory motions and the 2nd Circuit hasn't issued a ruling so it is premature - despite the fact that they telegrapher what they intend to do by first completely agreeing with the state without any written opinion, and when forced to give reasons they themselves put up hundreds of pages of nonsense to reaffirm 90% of what they previously said.

2. We should definitely use reconstruction era history as our guide, which by the way just happens to coincide with the first gun restrictions which were race based and themselves would be deemed unconstitutional - but that's different.

Hopefully Thomas and Alito go to town!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Arguments:

1. You shouldn't take up this case because you usually don't take up interlocutory motions and the 2nd Circuit hasn't issued a ruling so it is premature - despite the fact that they telegrapher what they intend to do by first completely agreeing with the state without any written opinion, and when forced to give reasons they themselves put up hundreds of pages of nonsense to reaffirm 90% of what they previously said.

2. We should definitely use reconstruction era history as our guide, which by the way just happens to coincide with the first gun restrictions which were race based and themselves would be deemed unconstitutional - but that's different.

View Quote
To point 1.  SCOTUS goes to great pains to "follow the process" meaning no they don't typically rule on interlocutory motions.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if that becomes what happens.

I hope not but that would be consistent with SCOTUS behavior.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By xd341:
To point 1.  SCOTUS goes to great pains to "follow the process" meaning no they don't typically rule on interlocutory motions.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if that becomes what happens.

View All Quotes

Arguments:

Close to two years in and we are scant closer to any resolution. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, if not more, live with the prospect of becoming felons for doing what was allowed one day and a felony the next.

If ever there was a time to break from tradition, now is it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Close to two years in and we are scant closer to any resolution. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, if not more, live with the prospect of becoming felons for doing what was allowed one day and a felony the next.

View Quote
I totally agree.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I totally agree.
View All Quotes

I totally agree.

I think one reason they MIGHT act is Hochul used a completely contorted and false analysis of Bruen to push the CCIA, claiming they did it to comply with Bruen. The purpose of bruen was to reign in arbitrary abuses of the second amendment and Karen HoCUNT essentially said, "hold my baby blood latte and watch this!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

True, but there are a half-dozen nearly identical assault weapon/mag ban cases from different circuits all up for review at the same time.  That *could* justify bundling them for review as there is a clear constitutional controversy in the lower courts that needs to be resolved by SCOTUS.

The problem is the Roberts court is frequently paralyzed by perceived procedural issue bullshit so it's a long shot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

The problem is the Roberts court is frequently paralyzed by perceived procedural issue bullshit so it's a long shot.
View Quote
Another factor that seems to get their attention is the constant threat to add more Justices to the court by the Democrat's. They have yet to muster the votes to do it but it is only an issue in the Senate with the filibuster stopping it. That overt letter from RI Senator Whitehouse a few years ago threatening the court "behave" is a good example.

Having read that brief little blurb in the Constitution titled "Article III " several times, it seems there is a lot of leeway for the court to fight back against "court packing" if they so choose. There is nothing that says all Justices have to hear and rule on a case. In fact there is nothing about how the court is to conduct its operations. I cannot see any reason why, if Congress eventually adds four or six more Justices, Roberts could not structure the court like a Circuit Court and decide to have just nine of the full compliment of Justices hear and rule on a case (which would give him the power to pick Justices for a case he knows will rule the way he wants - a massive increase in power for the Chief Justice). They could distribute the workload to groups of nine Justices. Of course Congress might also pass laws dictating how the court should operate but then that would set up a case for the court actually ruling on the constitutionality of a law affecting it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
Another factor that seems to get their attention is the constant threat to add more Justices to the court by the Democrat's. They have yet to muster the votes to do it but it is only an issue in the Senate with the filibuster stopping it. That overt letter from RI Senator Whitehouse a few years ago threatening the court "behave" is a good example.

Having read that brief little blurb in the Constitution titled "Article III " several times, it seems there is a lot of leeway for the court to fight back against "court packing" if they so choose. There is nothing that says all Justices have to hear and rule on a case. In fact there is nothing about how the court is to conduct its operations. I cannot see any reason why, if Congress eventually adds four or six more Justices, Roberts could not structure the court like a Circuit Court and decide to have just nine of the full compliment of Justices hear and rule on a case (which would give him the power to pick Justices for a case he knows will rule the way he wants - a massive increase in power for the Chief Justice). They could distribute the workload to groups of nine Justices. Of course Congress might also pass laws dictating how the court should operate but then that would set up a case for the court actually ruling on the constitutionality of a law affecting it.
View Quote
Separation of powers. You'd need an amendment for something that significant.

It's an amazing system. Anything is possible yet it's very stable.

Those dudes from back in the day had their shit together.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like @nolocontendere replied to NYs ridiculous argument yesterday!

@hiramranger

Fingers crossed scotus picks this up...because it'll further clarify that ALL of NYs gun laws are unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Go Nolo!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Another excellent read from Nolo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday declined, for now, to hear a challenge to a Maryland law banning certain semi-automatic firearms commonly referred to as assault weapons.

The court did not elaborate on the denial, as is typical. It would have been unusual for the justices to take up a case at this point, since a lower court is still weighing it. The Supreme Court is also considering an appeal over a similar law in Illinois. It did not act Monday on that case, which could be another avenue to take up the issue.

--- Not NY - but don't hold your breath on Clarence and Thomas riding to the rescue. Maybe Mrs. Thomas?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By EXSUNY:
WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday declined, for now, to hear a challenge to a Maryland law banning certain semi-automatic firearms commonly referred to as assault weapons.

The court did not elaborate on the denial, as is typical. It would have been unusual for the justices to take up a case at this point, since a lower court is still weighing it. The Supreme Court is also considering an appeal over a similar law in Illinois. It did not act Monday on that case, which could be another avenue to take up the issue.

--- Not NY - but don't hold your breath on Clarence and Thomas riding to the rescue. Maybe Mrs. Thomas?
View Quote
Did I miss the joke?  It's Clarence Thomas...one dude.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Must be you missed this part.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

Yeah I mean unfortunately Antonyuk is mid stream too...it still needs to go to a full trial at the federal district court level...then to the 2nd circus...then SCOTUS. All this stuff that has already happened has just been hearings about stays and injunctions.

But...it has a higher chance because it is dealing with NYs direct response (The CCIA) to Bruen, which clearly spits in the face of SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Disappointing, but not unexpected:

BREAKING JUST NOW: U.S. SUPREME COURT ISSUES MAJOR ORDER IN ASSAULT WEAPON BAN CASE
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
And the case this thread is about has been distributed for conference on June 6.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#22]
Let's just hope this little tid bit from Bruen holds true...

That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.
View Quote

How about 1 year waits, $500-$1000 18 hour 2 day training courses that are non existent, and tons of other hoops to jump through?
Page / 55
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top