Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2022 6:45:55 PM EDT

We will discuss the recent US Supreme Court decisions in Young v Hawaii along with other 2A related decisions and how they affect Hawaii.

Saturday July 2 at 7pm
FB Live: www.fb.com/hificoorg
Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86179354364?pwd=c0hlMmh6SEx2ZkxLdWhodGw0cVNCZz09
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone applied for and received a permit to carry?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Local forums board shows a lot of applications, but no issued permits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
We are going to have to sue them into issuing permits
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess is they're just gonna sit on the applications until legislature pulls a NY/CA and make every place a "sensitive" area.  When's the next legislative session?

Suing won't do much good because by the time anything works through the court the new laws will be in place and people will get worthless permits.  Then a new suit will be required to challenge whatever the new bullshit is concocted by our representatives.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
My guess is they're just gonna sit on the applications until legislature pulls a NY/CA and make every place a "sensitive" area.  When's the next legislative session?

Suing won't do much good because by the time anything works through the court the new laws will be in place and people will get worthless permits.  Then a new suit will be required to challenge whatever the new bullshit is concocted by our representatives.
View Quote

I was going to argue with you but I can't.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
@Brundoggie

Looks like the Sheriff is revising the carry application.  So no permits being issued with the old forms while it takes them 2-3 months to make whatever changes.  Like they couldn't just swap the heading on the permit to acquire a pistol and maybe shore up a couple details.  That and a word processor makes it like a half hour job.  Interested to see what bullshit they come up with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
@Brundoggie

Looks like the Sheriff is revising the carry application.  So no permits being issued with the old forms while it takes them 2-3 months to make whatever changes.  Like they couldn't just swap the heading on the permit to acquire a pistol and maybe shore up a couple details.  That and a word processor makes it like a half hour job.  Interested to see what bullshit they come up with.
View Quote

Mahalo, it looks like stall, stall, stall
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hawaii county’s new permitting process is up.

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/services/firearm-registration#licenseCarry

Surprisingly an internet search shows no classes being offered that would appear to satisfy the training requirement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Hawaii county’s new permitting process is up.

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/services/firearm-registration#licenseCarry

Surprisingly an internet search shows no classes being offered that would appear to satisfy the training requirement.
View Quote

I suspect any NRA certified instructor can sign off on the firearm specific training and proficiency portion.  The gunshop in Waimea offers NRA classes, maybe they could do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

I suspect any NRA certified instructor can sign off on the firearm specific training and proficiency portion.  The gunshop in Waimea offers NRA classes, maybe they could do it.
View Quote

Cold Country Ammo?

The permit application requires a score from live firing.  Not simply a pass/fail from the instructor.  But I didn't see where it said what score was acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Cold Country Ammo?

The permit application requires a score from live firing.  Not simply a pass/fail from the instructor.  But I didn't see where it said what score was acceptable.
View Quote

I'll bet a 10 out of 10 in the A zone of a USPSA target at 5 yards will qualify. Or whatever the current LEOSA standard is. I'm sure an NRA instructor could design a standard make a case one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll bet a 10 out of 10 in the A zone of a USPSA target at 5 yards will qualify. Or whatever the current LEOSA standard is. I'm sure an NRA instructor could design a standard make a case one way or the other.
View Quote

Buddy of mine knows an instructor who is trying to find out from the police what qualifies.  Then he should be scheduling a class.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Buddy of mine knows an instructor who is trying to find out from the police what qualifies.  Then he should be scheduling a class.
View Quote

Keep me posted.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Keep me posted.
View Quote

Word from the instructor is the “Lieutenant” will need to get back to him on what exactly is required from the course.  Lol

More stalling, or they legit overlooked that major detail?  Hmmmmm.

Either way, the instructor will set up a class as soon as he finds out. Already like five of us who’ll be taking it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Word from the instructor is the “Lieutenant” will need to get back to him on what exactly is required from the course.  Lol

More stalling, or they legit overlooked that major detail?  Hmmmmm.

Either way, the instructor will set up a class as soon as he finds out. Already like five of us who’ll be taking it.
View Quote

Never assume malice when a simple explanation of incompetence will do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Never assume malice when a simple explanation of incompetence will do.
View Quote

Thinking it's a combination of both.  If they gave a fuck about enable us to exercise our right they'd probably do a bit more to figure it out.

Buddy says he heard from the instructor they want you to be able to hit a 4" circle at 15 yds with 4 out of 5 shots.  I'm thinking that can't be right.  Asked him to confirm that info.  Feet maybe, but not yards.  Would be shocked if anyone on the force can shoot that well.  Hoping there was a miscommunication on that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Any thoughts on how reasonable or difficult this appears?

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Supplement-to-Application-For-License-to-Carry-Proficiency-Test.pdf
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:55:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#19]
Any thoughts on how reasonable or difficult this appears?

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Supplement-to-Application-For-License-to-Carry-Proficiency-Test.pdf
View Quote

A lot of rounds but not too difficult.  When I was shooting USPSA on Oahu I think I would be 90+% on that test.

I was afraid they would do some stupid shit like 15 yard targets.

ETA:  They don't identify the scoring circle.  Maybe that is the catch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]

A lot of rounds but not too difficult.  When I was shooting USPSA on Oahu I think I would be 90+% on that test.

I was afraid they would do some stupid shit like 15 yard targets.

ETA:  They don't identify the scoring circle.  Maybe that is the catch.
View Quote

Buddy is trying to find that out from his instructor friend. With police training it’s head and torso so…
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Things are in flux right now and countys might change their requirements this year.  And the State will certainly change the requirements next year.

The Hawaii County test issued is confusing.  It says instructors can select a course of fire, not sure if you select one of the three listed on the page, or you can create your own.  The three listed looks like a mistake since they're grouped by yards and it just seems odd the way it's structured.  It looks like it's a mistake.

There are other problems with the requirements:
1.  There are guns that don't hold 6 rounds like revolvers.
2.  Shooting 2 rounds in 2 seconds at 7 yards is an advanced skill.  2 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds is easier, but still requires a good amount of skill.  The test should be passable by most of the population to include grandma with arthritis and a person in a wheelchair.
3.  Liability waiver is evil, it gives them the go ahead to talk to anyone in your life, you give away your rights like attorney client privilage, and they can access just about anything in your medical history.
4.  FOr denials, you appeal to the police chief, same person that denied your permit.

Honolulu's new policy is just as bad, in a different way.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ZippZ:
Things are in flux right now and countys might change their requirements this year.  And the State will certainly change the requirements next year.

The Hawaii County test issued is confusing.  It says instructors can select a course of fire, not sure if you select one of the three listed on the page, or you can create your own.  The three listed looks like a mistake since they're grouped by yards and it just seems odd the way it's structured.  It looks like it's a mistake.

There are other problems with the requirements:
1.  There are guns that don't hold 6 rounds like revolvers.
2.  Shooting 2 rounds in 2 seconds at 7 yards is an advanced skill.  2 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds is easier, but still requires a good amount of skill.  The test should be passable by most of the population to include grandma with arthritis and a person in a wheelchair.
3.  Liability waiver is evil, it gives them the go ahead to talk to anyone in your life, you give away your rights like attorney client privilage, and they can access just about anything in your medical history.
4.  FOr denials, you appeal to the police chief, same person that denied your permit.

Honolulu's new policy is just as bad, in a different way.

View Quote

I didn't even read the waivers.  Holy shit.  Attorney/client privilege?  That's just retarded.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Serious question, isn't it a bigger issue that if you use a firearm in any kind of self defense in Hawaii you are going to prison? That's what I've always heard and I'm not so sure I'd even want to carry in Hawaii knowing that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AASG:
Serious question, isn't it a bigger issue that if you use a firearm in any kind of self defense in Hawaii you are going to prison? That's what I've always heard and I'm not so sure I'd even want to carry in Hawaii knowing that.
View Quote

In the 10+ years of living here I don't remember any test cases.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AASG:
View Quote

There's always that possibility and it's likely higher in Hawaii than other states, but you usually have to screw up majorly to get charged and convicted.  But self-defense shootings don't happen too often here due to lower gun ownership, no CCW, and less violent crime than comparable cities.

Some examples of screwups:
Person goes outside of their house to kill a 16 year old shooting BB guns at the house.  He might have thought it was a real gun.
https://www.khon2.com/top-stories/16-year-old-dead-and-a-50-year-old-man-in-custody-after-a-shooting-in-kalihi/

Person shoots through the door killing drunk navy sailor who went to the wrong house.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/07/12/hawaii-news/mistrial-declared-in-fatal-shooting-of-neighbor/

Drunk federal agent shoots threatening guy in a McDonalds
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/prosecutor-expected-to-make-announcement-about-3rd-christopher-deedy-trial/

Attempted prosecution of police officers in shooting of teenager in a car previously robbing people.  Borderline justifiable.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/19/hawaii-news/3-honolulu-police-officers-cleared-in-fatal-shooting-of-16-year-old/

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
As a former NY resident, now in the free state of Arizona, I feel your pain. The Bruen decision should make it straight forward, libs admit they lost, issue permits to anyone that applies, without a whole bunch of caveats, limitations requirements etc.

But they can’t accept and acknowledge defeat, and will do any underhanded trick to make the issued permit useless

I have visited your state a bunch of times, and will be heading over in the very near future. If not for the 2A issues, it would be great, just don’t think I could go back to NY style law again after my taste of freedom in AZ
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Can someone give me an update on the state of Honolulu county?  Last I checked they basically weren’t issuing anything.  My wife and I just got back and will be back in June.  We will eventually move probably to the windward side after looking at houses this last trip in the Lanikai and Kailua area, but that’s probably still at least 3+ years off.  I’m not worried about course of fire or training requirements necessarily, but as a 100% disabled vet, I’m not super wild about opening up my medical records.  Are they really denying vets permits because they’ve been prescribed pain meds and stuff?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
SB1230 has a hearing today, we'll see if it passes or there are any changes to it.  But this is a major revision and the police departments are going to have a hard time figuring it out themselves.  Add in the court challenges on the mainland.  Things will be in flux for the rest of the year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top