Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2024 1:28:57 PM EDT
Just picked up welding as a hobby for around the house/farm projects and was wondering where is the best place to buy welding supplies and most importantly metal?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:37:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#1]
Sexton was the best but sold and is now corporate.  
Sexton(now AWG), air gas, or holston are the ones I’ve used, for gas I go to the most convenient one now since they’re all corporate.  
For supplies I usually shop online since it’s so much cheaper and most of what I need they don’t stock.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#2]
How close to the border are you?

I buy a lot of my welding supplies and metal from our local welding company, Terry's Welding in Ardmore AL.

Two good steel suppliers are Limestone Steel, west Athens and Service Steel off of Schrimsher Ave.  Since I moved to TN, I haven't used either in several years though.

Another possible source for both would be Russell Welding, north Washington Ave.  I haven't been there in years either.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I am right on the border in Hazel Green so Ardmore and Fayetteville are no issues. Really I'd be willing to drive an hour or so if cheaper, better selection, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a welding/steel place just north of you near the south end of the Executive Airport near the H&R tractor place.  Just been by it, I've never stopped in there.  Don't recall the name.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HgMike:
I am right on the border in Hazel Green so Ardmore and Fayetteville are no issues. Really I'd be willing to drive an hour or so if cheaper, better selection, etc.
View Quote

Go Trojans!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
… Service Steel off of Schrimsher Ave.
View Quote

After the china flu they started charging full price (maybe more?) for scraps.  
What I might’ve paid $10-20 for before they now are charging $40-50.  I know metal is expensive, but charging new price for scrap is crazy so I don’t go there anymore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

What I might've paid $10-20 for before they now are charging $40-50.  I know metal is expensive, but charging new price for scrap is crazy so I don't go there anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Originally Posted By Merlin:
 Service Steel off of Schrimsher Ave.

What I might've paid $10-20 for before they now are charging $40-50.  I know metal is expensive, but charging new price for scrap is crazy so I don't go there anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top