Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2023 5:39:04 PM EDT
I'm contemplating selling a small farm in KY and moving to Alaska. I would like to find waterfront property, 10+ acres with road access, within 45 minutes of a reliable source of employment. I've looked on Zillow and other websites listing properties as well as Craigslist but I'm hearing Youtubers in Alaska say that most of that stuff listed on the market is overpriced and watched another person buy 20 acres with a house, out buildings, snowmobile and UTV bought theirs for $75k.

How do I find properties like that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much move up here and start networking with folks. Lots of the stuff that's for sale never makes it into the public view.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Pretty much move up here and start networking with folks. Lots of the stuff that's for sale never makes it into the public view.
View Quote
This

I have kept an eye on fb market place but you have to be able to go look at the land.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#3]
That 20 acres with a house and stuff for $75,000 is going to be very difficult to replicate. That has to be out there.

For reference I bought 18 acres 90 miles from a employable area and it was $17,000 with a 25% veterans discount.

Down the road from my house which is about 20min from an employable area a guy just listed 5 acres with a small probably 16x16 dry cabin without electricity for $99,000.

And waterfront?  Forget it.

10+ acres, road system, waterfront, near employment. You’re talking big money. Take away the employment or road system and you can take the price down a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Not gonna happen on the rivers, may be able to fine a property bordering a pond that hard-freezes every year. It may be possible out in Delta Junction, Tok, Glenallen, Nenana, maaayyyybee Healy and Cantwell, but employment will be the hard part to find. Not to mention, places out there sell by word of mouth more than being listed, so you have to be there and ready. Alaska State Troopers may be a good path for you to take.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly stay in Kentucky, like others have said being "remote" with road access can still be a pain for a great number of reasons. High cost of construction materials, delivery etc will be a problem. Have you ever experienced -25 or greater for a week on end ? Rural land on the road system is going to still be in an organized borough (unless you go to Tok or Glennallen and then expect -40*F in winter). That means you still have to play by the zoning games and some rules. Alaska has been hit with high prices, drug issues and a revolving door of the legal system. It's not the Utopia everyone thinks it is, it's better than many places but it's hard. You will need alot more than $75 K to buy land and build
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop watching the television shows about this place because its so inaccurate. What you are looking for is exactly what every alaskan wants, and its not possible. what you're asking for is a 700k-1 million dollar property now. And as far as networking, highly unlikely until you've been here for many years, alaskans are great people but we won't be giving you the great deals and inside info on sales until you've been around a while and earned that. Anything within commuting range will have you paying top dollar for land, even an acre of land with utilities in commuting range that's buildable is gonna run you 100k easy. also most land in Alaska is not buildable its mostly swamp land, you can get a great deal on 10 acres somewhere but it'll be an unbuildable swamp
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd look around Willow, North Kenai/Nikiski, North Pole/Delta Junction and Anchor Point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine bought 40 acres north of Willow several years ago for just over $60K.  I helped him put in a 1500 foot driveway, clear about 4 acres, build a 32x32 cabin.  He is close to the road and off gird!!!  Last summer he was offered $700K for the place.  He is holding off as he is not sure he is willing to move.
While places might be there to be bought, they are hard to find and one need to be here to catch them!
OP, have you been to Alaska?  This is not the place for those that might weak of heart.  It takes a lot of work and it is a different life style.  Not everyone can handle it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know where the "city" boundaries are, but a couple of years ago there was a serious fire (s) along the Parks Hwy. (between Willow and Talkeetna) and there were LOTS of firefighting gear from a LOT of different agencies fighting a lot of fires including air support.  They collectively did a great job of saving most of the buildings for people.  Yes, they lost some, but they tried.  The focus of the fire fighting was to save buildings and homes; a lot of trees burned.

Home near us recently sold for $400,000 (Neighborhood gossip).  Lake front (small lake), maybe an acre of land, nothing special.  

The advice to come check it out before you plan (dream) too much is very good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You  could try a realtor.
Zoe Story can give you a virtual tour of the state:
   her number is on their website.

Alaska Land
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Prices aren't like they use to be, finding land that is not a swamp, with crappy water or in a fire/flood zone now will be tough on a budget. I paid 37K for 3 acres in Wasilla and only 1/2 is useable just over a decade ago. Alaska has been seeing a steady exodus out of state for a while but when tracks that are 5 acres or more go up for sale people snap them up and put trim plex homes or mc mansions on them. Easy to subdivide anywhere but Anchorage.

Honestly if I didn't live here the last 30 years I would say stay where you are at. Alaska is being over run by democrats from Washington and other places., I have 5 years and I'm gone . Alaska isn't what it once was unfortunately
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
OP hasn’t posted since November, he may have vanished.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PolishX:
Prices aren't like they use to be, finding land that is not a swamp, with crappy water or in a fire/flood zone now will be tough on a budget. I paid 37K for 3 acres in Wasilla and only 1/2 is useable just over a decade ago. Alaska has been seeing a steady exodus out of state for a while but when tracks that are 5 acres or more go up for sale people snap them up and put trim plex homes or mc mansions on them. Easy to subdivide anywhere but Anchorage.

Honestly if I didn't live here the last 30 years I would say stay where you are at. Alaska is being over run by democrats from Washington and other places., I have 5 years and I'm gone . Alaska isn't what it once was unfortunately
View Quote

The state of Alaska only has 75,000 democrats, down from 78,000 in 2022.
Republicans outnumber Democrats in Alaska nearly three to one.

You must live in Anchorage...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolishX] [#15]
Originally Posted By Sub_Arctic_Son:

The state of Alaska only has 75,000 democrats, down from 78,000 in 2022.
Republicans outnumber Democrats in Alaska nearly three to one.

You must live in Anchorage...
View Quote

You must have glossed over the word WASILLA , and just because people are registered one way does not mean they vote that way. Proof look at the Anchorage assembly, Pelota getting elected and many other "oddities". And with less than 30% voter turn out state wide on a good election its easier to see conservatives losing traction. And just because someone has a capital R next to their name doesn't make them a saint. Valley is full of people that somehow being a registered Republican somehow makes you unable to make bad choices. Like the fact this country was never built on a 2 party system but whatever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top