Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK-Slap]
Who are the most pro 2A candidates in Ohio. I'm in Congressional district 02, State House district 71 and State Senate district 10.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By HK-Slap:
Who's the most pro 2A candidates in Ohio. I'm on Congressional district 02, State House district 71 and State Senate district 10.
View Quote

I know Buckeye Firearms Association maintains a thorough vote history spreadsheet going back 20 years.  I don't know how the method used to turn vote history into a grade, but regardless, their grades are here:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/2024-bfa-pac-grades-and-endorsements-ohio-primary

US House District 2, Shane Wilkin is rated A+, which is very difficult to get, and endorsed by BFA.  He was interviewed on a recent BFA podcast, listen to him here or on Apple Podcasts.

https://keepandbearradio.podbean.com/e/shane-wilkin-discusses-his-campaign-and-bidens-assault-on-gun-rights/

State House District 71, seems like a toss-up between Day and Dean, I know nothing about either of them.  Aq means they got a A based on answers to a questionnaire, not because they have history to go on.

State Senate District 10, looks like Koehler is the best option with an A rating and BFA endorsement.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If you’re ever in a pinch just vote Republican. Not a guarantee but far better results than voting democrat.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m working a polling location today, turnout is very light. Get to the polls and vote!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links OP!

bigohio
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
What about Justice of the Supreme Court?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC there was only 1 R candidate
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got back from voting.  Frank LaRose was outside our location talking to anyone/everyone.  I did not get a chance to talk to him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
Just got back from voting.  Frank LaRose was outside our location talking to anyone/everyone.  I did not get a chance to talk to him.
View Quote

Umm, how far outside?  A candidate is not supposed to be within 100’ of the polling entrance or exit.

He is the SOS and could technically go to a polling location to oversee things but damn since he’s also a candidate on the ballot that’s borderline unethical if not outright unethical.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
View Quote

Nope. There are three races for the Ohio state Supreme Court. The republicans are all A rated and endorsed by BFA. The democrats are all D rated by BFA.

Check via the BFA link above
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:

Umm, how far outside?  A candidate is not supposed to be within 100’ of the polling entrance or exit.

He is the SOS and could technically go to a polling location to oversee things but damn since he’s also a candidate on the ballot that’s borderline unethical if not outright unethical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:

He was out in the parking lot along with the usual pollsters.  Guessing it was at least 100 feet.  I thought he was a pollster as I was walking in.  Then after I got in my car to leave I realized who it was.  I would have like to stayed and talked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#12]
I'm working a polling location today, turnout is very light. Get to the polls and vote!
View Quote

You don't have to worry about me!

Attachment Attached File

Curious question-why was the presidential candidate on the ballot twice. I didn't have time to read the distinction/explanation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Current results off the SoS website:

Candidate..............  Votes.......  % of Votes
Matt Dolan (R).......  83,106.....  38.77%
Frank LaRose (R)...  49,096.....  22.90%
Bernie Moreno (R)..  82,172.....  38.33%
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CavVet:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3455/1000016675_jpg-3163904.JPG

Curious question-why was the presidential candidate on the ballot twice. I didn't have time to read the distinction/explanation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavVet:
I'm working a polling location today, turnout is very light. Get to the polls and vote!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3455/1000016675_jpg-3163904.JPG

In those two elections you were really voting for national convention delegates .  One was for an “at large” national convention delegate, the other was for a national convention district delegate.

I don’t know what happens at the national convention well enough to know anymore than that. I suppose an at large delegate is supposed to vote according to the majority of all voters and the district delegate is supposed to vote according to the majority of their district.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Any thoughts on why LaRose did so poorly?  Was Trump’s endorsement too much to overcome?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
Any thoughts on why LaRose did so poorly?  Was Trump's endorsement too much to overcome?
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.

People want change. Trump is it. That's the guy you want, ok.

Personally I think my Washington curse followed me. I could NEVER get a winner out there
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Nope. There are three races for the Ohio state Supreme Court. The republicans are all A rated and endorsed by BFA. The democrats are all D rated by BFA.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crazyelece:

I understand that part, but in each of the three positions there is only one republican choice so there is nothing really to chose in those races on the republican primary balot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:35:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#18]
Tales from the polling place:

Day started by getting up at 4:30am, getting to the polling place by 5:30am and setting up, first voter stepped in the door at 6:30am sharp.  Voting ended at 7:30pm, took another 1hr30min to tear down.  Got home around 9:00pm.

One MAGA baseball cap, it was worn by an 18-year-old first time voter, he didn't know the "no political clothing rule".  He took it off and his mom put it under her arm, so it wasn't legible.

One guy had an expired driver's license, nope no good.  My understanding is he went back home and got a piece of paper allegedly from the DMV saying he renewed, and his license was in the mail.  He could have voted with that if it really was from the DMV, however, the DMV doesn't print them on the type of paper he presented.  He voted provisional but it'll get bumped as invalid.  We try to avoid telling people in person they can't vote, because they get angry.

One person had a driver's license that had one week left on it, he was surprised when we told them.  A few people had licenses that expire before the next election.  Stay on top of this, you don't want to get bounced for having an expired DL.

Didn't see any passports this time.

One guy presented a military ID which was fine.

One guy presented an Ohio CHL, these aren't valid for voting since they are issued by a county, not the state.

A couple voters wanted to vote issues only but, in our precinct, there were no issues to vote, and they just left.

A couple voters came to the wrong polling place and were sent on to the correct one.

A couple voters took several seconds, and made conversation, while deciding which ballot to vote.  We don't care, and don't need to hear your angst, just pick one and move on.

A few people outside the 100' markers were gathering signatures for the anti-gerrymandering amendment to the state constitution.  They were told they're allowed to be there, just don't hassle voters, and if voters hassle them then call the police.

A few equipment issues, mostly the ballot tabulator machines were tripping a fault, but that happened because people were putting the ballots in printed side up instead of down.  When that happens the ballot curls slightly in the up direction instead of down and confused the tabulator.  Weird.

The vast majority of voters wanted a Republican ballot, that's just reflective of our precinct, maybe some crossover voting going on too.

One older guy commented he thought he was the only Democrat in the precinct.  Whatever dude, we don't care.  Well, really, I do, but you don't tell them that.  LOL.

A few folks in wheelchairs came in to vote, either on their own power, or assisted by a family member.  One woman had a touch of Alzheimer's, and her husband was helping her vote.  That's fine as long as she is the one making the selections on the ballot marker.

Kids get all the "I voted" sticker they want.

See you in November!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
A couple voters took several seconds, and made conversation, while deciding which ballot to vote.  We don't care, and don't need to hear your angst, just pick one and move on.
View Quote
I was surprised I was offered an option of Republican or Democrat.  I always thought I had to be registered for a party to vote in their primary.

I wonder how many Democrats switched parties because Joe is a lock-in, just to skew the Republican results.  I've seen a few posts elsewhere that out-of-state Democrats were pushing for Moreno because they feel Brown can beat him.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]

I was surprised I was offered an option of Republican or Democrat.  I always thought I had to be registered for a party to vote in their primary.

I wonder how many Democrats switched parties because Joe is a lock-in, just to skew the Republican results.  I've seen a few posts elsewhere that out-of-state Democrats were pushing for Moreno because they feel Brown can beat him.
View All Quotes

On election day, by requesting a political party ballot, the Voter becomes a Registered Democrat or Registered Republican. Once they have voted that ballot, the party affiliation designation can only be changed by requesting a different party ballot in the next Primary Election. All voters are initially referred to as No Party until a primary ballot has been cast.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
On election day, by requesting a political party ballot, the Voter becomes a Registered Democrat or Registered Republican. Once they have voted that ballot, the party affiliation designation can only be changed by requesting a different party ballot in the next Primary Election. All voters are initially referred to as No Party until a primary ballot has been cast.
View Quote
I guess I've been voting so long that I forgot the process.  I only noticed this year because the poll worker presented a tablet and I had to press a button.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#22]
Is this “open primary” stuff state law or just party policy?

If it’s just party policy then it can be changed if the GOP had any guts. If it’s law, well, laws can be changed.  I wonder what the history that law is. Maybe it’s been around so long we’ve forgotten who was behind it.

I get that the party does need to appeal to a wide range of voters but it doesn’t have to appeal to everyone.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top