Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2023 7:16:55 PM EDT
People steal from grocery stores, I've seen them on multiple occasions just put shit in their coat or back pack and walk out. I looked at my cart and wondered why I'm the sucker paying retail.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By PVTPablo:
People steal from grocery stores, I've seen them on multiple occasions just put shit in their coat or back pack and walk out. I looked at my cart and wondered why I'm the sucker paying retail.
View Quote

Probably because your a lawful and decent human being and it’s the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What's even wilder is the employees are desensitized to it. You tell them and they say, "Yeah theres nothing we can do, the cops don't care."

This state in just 10 short years has turned into a liberal shithole.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I watch a couple with a full cart go over to a closed check stand, unhook the chain, and walk out of the Gig Harbor Freddy’s. I pointed it out to the clerk, and she just shrugged her shoulders. We are literally at the door step of complete anarchy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ST42:
I watch a couple with a full cart go over to a closed check stand, unhook the chain, and walk out of the Gig Harbor Freddy’s. I pointed it out to the clerk, and she just shrugged her shoulders. We are literally at the door step of complete anarchy.
View Quote

I grew up in Gig Harbor as a kid. I hated the cops there back in the day. They had my number and were always on my ass. Now that I'm older and all grown up, I have a much better appreciation for them. They would have never allowed this kind of thing to continue.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
What's even wilder is the employees are desensitized to it. You tell them and they say, "Yeah theres nothing we can do, the cops don't care."

This state in just 10 short years has turned into a liberal shithole.
View Quote

Yes it has and it’s only going to get worse. All these fricken liberal democrats and their weak on crime/ defund the police movement. I think this state is beyond repair at this point.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

Yes it has and it’s only going to get worse. All these fricken liberal democrats and their weak on crime/ defund the police movement. I think this state is beyond repair at this point.
View Quote

I saw a Seattle news cast saying that people were voting more centered in local elections. I was tickled that the local moron populace is starting to realize the lack of law and order kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn’t shop at a store where they don’t care what gets stolen; they’ll just pass the cost to you.

So you are paying for their stuff.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 5:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#8]
View Quote

It's simple: if your local food distribution center can't pay its bills, then it will close its doors.

Originally Posted By Poppaduc:
I wouldn’t shop at a store where they don’t care what gets stolen; they’ll just pass the cost to you.

View Quote

They're damned if they do or don't. Thank the county &/or state prosecutor/s for enabling the crime wave.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ST42:
I watch a couple with a full cart go over to a closed check stand, unhook the chain, and walk out of the Gig Harbor Freddy's. I pointed it out to the clerk, and she just shrugged her shoulders. We are literally at the door step of complete anarchy.
View Quote

I saw almost the same thing at the Safeway in Tacoma, except it was a cart full of liquor. Probably a couple grand worth. It was right after they started selling liquor but before they realized that they should lock it up. The security guard and I followed them out to their car but all he could do is take down their license plate

That was the Proctor Safeway. The one on 6th Ave just flat shut down due to theft. It's a WinCo now. Not sure if they have a better way of dealing with the theft or if their like the Safeway in Hilltop and don't carry anything expensive
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By scottr:

I saw almost the same thing at the Safeway in Tacoma, except it was a cart full of liquor. Probably a couple grand worth. It was right after they started selling liquor but before they realized that they should lock it up. The security guard and I followed them out to their car but all he could do is take down their license plate

That was the Proctor Safeway. The one on 6th Ave just flat shut down due to theft. It's a WinCo now. Not sure if they have a better way of dealing with the theft or if their like the Safeway in Hilltop and don't carry anything expensive
View Quote

Tacoma has always been that way
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
When I worked at a family owned grocery store (remember Red Apple stores?) In high school, the store policy was very hands on with thieves.

One of the stockers was an older guy, retired Army combat vet. He once grabbed a guy, flung him around and sent him through one of the huge panel windows in the front of the store.

Another cashier was a big black dude. I watched him chase down and tackle a thief in the parking lot, then held him in a wrestling pin until the cops showed up.

We had another guy get busted trying to steal pies from the bakery... TWICE. His picture was on the office wall. He came back and did it again another time.

Every instance the cops showed up promptly and arrested them.

Never would fly today
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#12]
Originally Posted By mancat:
When I worked at a family owned grocery store (remember Red Apple stores?) In high school, the store policy was very hands on with thieves.

One of the stockers was an older guy, retired Army combat vet. He once grabbed a guy, flung him around and sent him through one of the huge panel windows in the front of the store.

Another cashier was a big black dude. I watched him chase down and tackle a thief in the parking lot, then held him in a wrestling pin until the cops showed up.

We had another guy get busted trying to steal pies from the bakery... TWICE. His picture was on the office wall. He came back and did it again another time.

Never would fly today
View Quote

I remember the Red Apple on 38th and 56th St back in the day
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#13]
These days, if a grocery store has one of those parking lot camera trailers, I go somehwere else.  It means they have a problem, and I don't want my car broken into.

For a "then vs. now" story, my fist job out of college before joining the corporate world was at the Seafirst Bank next to Pioneer Square.  This was back in the 1990's.  We had someone from corporate security come speak to us one morning about firearms in the branch.  We could bring in whatever we wanted.  We could wear handguns, keep shotguns behind the register, whatever.  Use was at our discression within the law.  He simply said that the bank preferred we not shoot anyone, because it is harder to get a coviction if we had shot someone.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frostbite:
These days, if a grocery store has one of those parking lot camera trailers, I go somehwere else.  It means they have a problem, and I don't want my car broken into.

For a "then vs. now" story, my fist job out of college before joining the corporate world was at the Seafirst Bank next to Pioneer Square.  This was back in the 1990's.  We had someone from corporate security come speak to us one morning about firearms in the branch.  We could bring in whatever we wanted.  We could wear handguns, keep shotguns behind the register, whatever.  Use was at our discression within the law.  He simply said that the bank preferred we not shoot anyone, because it is harder to get a coviction if we had shot someone.
View Quote

Shit, those parking lot cameras are pretty much in every parking lot in Puyallup/ South Hill. Puyallup used to be like Mayberry, it’s a 💩 hole now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread is what I saw coming.

I really don't see things getting any better.

Mad Max ain't far away
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years a decade ago. Everywhere had armed security, a lot was behind glass, cameras everywhere, bars on everything. It was jarring how institutionalized it felt. I feel like Washington is well on its way.

It's funny the blue light trailer was mentioned. You're right, it indicates, "This place sucks!"
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Don’t worry though. They have people
putting a check mark on your receipt
to stop all this.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I was at the Federal Way Sportsman's last week. A guy walked out carrying a tent and what looked like an expensive sleeping bag. The gal at the counter said the only thing they can do is kinda approach the person and ask that individual if there is anything they can help them with. She also said that a few days earlier a small group of youths had done basically the same thing. The last time I was at Federal Way Walmart I saw something similar.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#20]
Some of those store I'm sure they care but if they do anything they get fired due to corporate policies. Likely due to insurance requirements/costs/liability.

I've seen that happen at Target.. Pretty much it is everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#21]
I was in Portland for work last week.

Pretty much every single shopping center parking lot had the portable police cameras.

I took everything out of my vehicle and into the hotel room at night.

I had some spare time and did some Christmas shopping for the no sales tax bonus. I went into a Ross and at the front entrance there were security ropes and bollards. The loss prevention guy had me wait five seconds before he lifted the rope. I asked him why, "oh it's to prevent theft." Okay, how does making me wait five seconds to enter stop me from stealing? "Yeah I don't really get it either man, but it's the store policy."

I guess maybe preventing a flood of "teens" from running in and gutting the store? But that one dude and these flimsy nylon ropes aren't gonna stop that.

Best Buy had a security guy at the front who was doing his best impersonation of a Blackwater contractor circa 2005, down to the shemagh and vest with reams of wrist ties clipped to it

Oh and highway on ramps are now parking lots for the homeless tent camps. Yeah I need a new windshield, shut up

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in Portland for work last week.

Pretty much every single shopping center parking lot had the portable police cameras.

I took everything out of my vehicle and into the hotel room at night.

I had some spare time and did some Christmas shopping for the no sales tax bonus. I went into a Ross and at the front entrance there were security ropes and bollards. The loss prevention guy had me wait five seconds before he lifted the rope. I asked him why, "oh it's to prevent theft." Okay, how does making me wait five seconds to enter stop me from stealing? "Yeah I don't really get it either man, but it's the store policy."

I guess maybe preventing a flood of "teens" from running in and gutting the store? But that one dude and these flimsy nylon ropes aren't gonna stop that.

Best Buy had a security guy at the front who was doing his best impersonation of a Blackwater contractor circa 2005, down to the shemagh and vest with reams of wrist ties clipped to it

Oh and highway on ramps are now parking lots for the homeless tent camps. Yeah I need a new windshield, shut up

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360387/20231105_074151_jpg-3026309.JPG
View Quote

I sure don't miss that. My wife thinks I'm nuts, every off ramp I look around and smile
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#23]
They cleaned up SF for Xi.

They can enforce the laws, when they want to.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Stuff would end quick if other shoppers would just follow them out, and smash the crooks car up.  Break out all the windows, ram it with shopping carts, etc.  

Make them at least “pay” for what they stole.  Would be hilarious.  What are they gonna do- call the police?  (Obviously the crooks might react badly, shoppers would need over watch if they wanted to be safer).  

Well either that or they could start arresting AND prosecuting them again.

Worthless leftist DA’s….
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Stuff would end quick if other shoppers would just follow them out, and smash the crooks car up.  Break out all the windows, ram it with shopping carts, etc.  

Make them at least “pay” for what they stole.  Would be hilarious.  What are they gonna do- call the police?  (Obviously the crooks might react badly, shoppers would need over watch if they wanted to be safer).  

Worthless leftist DA’s….
View Quote

I support this idea
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Worthless leftist DA’s….
View Quote

I'm sure the thieves would be devastated that the vehicle they stole was damaged.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Phenomenally stupid idea.  These thieves will shoot someone for just approaching them when they're making their getaway.. you think they're going to let you destroy their ride?

Fuck getting blasted for someone else's stuff. If the stores don't care enough to secure it, why should I.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PACorps] [#28]

Shit, those parking lot cameras are pretty much in every parking lot in Puyallup/ South Hill. Puyallup used to be like Mayberry, it’s a 💩 hole now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I live in the Canyon Park area of Bothell (Snohomish county side). While Bothell is a decent area overall, they’ve got one of those in the CP QFC parking lot. I was also finally schooled by one of their employees as to why they stopped offering hand-held baskets: they all disappeared with the perps who grabbed one, made a round through the store and walked out.

Interestingly, the PCC across the street doesn’t seem to have that problem. Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sizzlin_bacon] [#29]
The Bellingham area has those blue light trailers in a lot of parking lots. Lowe's, Home Depot, WinCo, etc. Bellingham is becoming quite ghetto and reamed out by thieves and homeless. Used to be a chill area, now it's full of druggies and ultra-leftists. The Bellingham reddit page is nuts with what those people think. I lived there from 2004-2018.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I am sure that when Bobby Ferguson is the governor all this will change.  
Well maybe a snowball's chance in hell.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#31]
I left my old spare Explorer in a Port Orchard parking lot for one night last week. Wife was driving it while I did the plugs on her car and the battery cable had come loose. So I picked her up, dropped her off while I went back and fixed it, but it was late so we decided we would come back and get it in the morning.

Came back the next morning to find someone had tried to pry both passenger doors open with a pry bar, denting the shit out of the doors. They were unable to get in. Either they gave up or got chased off before they decided to break glass.

It's a damn 30 year old vehicle (with a totally straight body until now btw) that had nothing in it except for an empty reusable shopping bag in the passenger seat. I'm thinking that was all it took to entice them.

I talked to a nearby business who had security cameras pointing at it. Waiting to get the footage to file a police report just on the principal of it. That business told me they're working on moving because of this issue. Their employees have caught homeless people trying to set their building on fire several times. Homeless have tried to steal their landscaping trucks multiple times. Had I known any of this I never would have left it there. Stupid of me and totally out of character on my part. I shouldn't have been lazy.

Scumbags

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:33:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FriedFish] [#32]
and it could be easy to stop.
Just stop feeding the rats.

A few years ago I went to work on a boat off of Marine View Drive in Tacoma and the guy began waving a large fistful of 100 dollar bills at me. There was obvious drug usage on the boat and other signs the boat was likely paid for by drugs. I left and cut off all communication with them. The guy had also threatened me and my family. Very creepy situation. If no one cares about the poison being sold to all these homeless, then it's obvious all this behavior is....
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FriedFish:
and it could be easy to stop.
Just stop feeding the rats.
View Quote

100%, in my mind the "homeless" I see begging now aren't the same homeless from 20 years ago. The ones asking for money are addicts, using whatever method they can to get more money for their addiction. It's crazy to me seeing someone who's obviously tweaking getting money thrown at them at some intersection at a red light.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties run this state so nothing will ever change.
Laughs from Stevens county, filling up with wetsiders and kalifornicators,
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#36]
Originally Posted By 49north:
I am sure that when Bobby Ferguson is the governor all this will change.  
Well maybe a snowball's chance in hell.
View Quote

State will be a powder keg if he is elected governor. The term tyrant is apt. I can see him putting political hits via legislation &/or executive order on individuals or groups that he deems as opposition or just not aligned with his opinions, using the state "justice" arm - don't delude yourself, state & local LE will go along with whatever edict comes out of his mouth, no matter how brazenly unconstitutional - to make criminals out of them while turning a blind eye to actual criminals. Gonna be really interesting when otherwise good people get threatened, pushed, & shoved to DGAF mode.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

State will be a powder keg if the he is elected governor. The term tyrant is apt. I can see him putting political hits via legislation &/or executive order on individuals or groups that he deems as opposition or just not aligned with his opinions, using the state "justice" arm - don't delude yourself, state & local LE will go along with whatever edict comes out of his mouth, no matter how brazenly unconstitutional - to make criminals out of them while turning a blind eye to actual criminals. Gonna be really interesting when otherwise good people get threatened, pushed, & shoved to DGAF mode.
View Quote

Add to that Manka Dhingra filling FBF’s spot as AG. That combo will accelerate the WA shitshow that will take years and years to recover, if ever.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By migradog:

Bellingham has been going downhill for a while.
It's close to shit-hole status now.

When I lived in Lynden, it was awesome. Kind of an island of conservatism in an ocean of liberals.
But Lynden's charm and peacefulness unfortunately attracted the same type of liberals that ruined other WA cities.
Lynden went blue in 2018 and is no longer the town I moved to, WA as a state sucks too, so I left.

I enjoy my WA visits but am happier to be living in Idaho.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By migradog:
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:
The Bellingham area has those blue light trailers in a lot of parking lots. Lowe's, Home Depot, WinCo, etc. Bellingham is becoming quite ghetto and reamed out by thieves and homeless. Used to be a chill area, now it's full of druggies and ultra-leftists. The Bellingham reddit page is nuts with what those people think. I lived there from 2004-2018.

Bellingham has been going downhill for a while.
It's close to shit-hole status now.

When I lived in Lynden, it was awesome. Kind of an island of conservatism in an ocean of liberals.
But Lynden's charm and peacefulness unfortunately attracted the same type of liberals that ruined other WA cities.
Lynden went blue in 2018 and is no longer the town I moved to, WA as a state sucks too, so I left.

I enjoy my WA visits but am happier to be living in Idaho.

Its also the unbending building going on in Lynden. They've expanded to their 20 year plan in just ten years.

The things that made Lynden nice are what drew the liberals there after they destroyed the previously decent areas. Saw a tranny (phone autocorrected to tyranny on that one lol) flag this summer for the first time in Lynden.

It's going from nice Dutch town to crimeville. There are lots of apartments being built too, and the people who can afford to live in Lynden and commute to Bellingham are the problem mostly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By scottr:

View Quote

View Quote

I was at the Safeway across from the theater on South Hill on Wednesday night last week and saw an "undercover" LP dude stop a guy that was trying to push a cart full of shit out the door.

They lock up booze there, but the employee that was helping us said that a few months ago, someone came in and smashed the front out of a couple of the booze lockers and tried to run out with a cart full of bottles.

I used to work on equipment at Fred Meyer stores a lot and one of the last times I went to the FM store on 176th and mountain highway, the employee that was helping me told me that they got robbed at gunpoint twice in the same day a couple weeks prior.

It's absolutely crazy what people get away with over there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I actually witnessed employees of a Safeway
stop some dirtbags from walking out with a
cart full of stuff the other day.

It was refreshing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I was walking into the Whole Foods in Totem Lake when I saw a 20- something guy walk out from one of the aisles with a loaded basket, bypassing the checkout.  By the time I figured out what just happened, he was gone. There’s a camera right above the exit, so I let the store employee in customer service know what went down. He did seem concerned, but I have no idea what happened afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
These days, if a grocery store has one of those parking lot camera trailers,
View Quote

I'm not sure how true this is but we've heard from more than a few people who have tried getting video from one of those cameras that the cameras don't actually record and are more of a visual deterrent.  One person's car was hit in a Walmart parking lot, they asked to see the video but Walmart said there was no recording.  I know of another who had a car broken into and they received the same answer. I'd heard this way back when they first started popping up but always thought that can't be right.  But with the last couple of people I actually spoke to, they confirmed that the cameras are a prop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Poppaduc:

View Quote

You better drive over here to Idaho to shop then because no store in Washington is going to do shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Never would fly today
View Quote

When I was a kid, I worked at YardBirds in downtown Olympia in the sporting goods department selling guns at 16 years old.

We had permission to beat the shit out of people that stole, and I did often, especially to the evergreen students, man I loved beating the snot out of those little bastards.

One night I left the store and had three of them waiting for me, they all ended up on the ground after I kicked the shit out of them, and I was a tiny kid at 125lbs, but I fought almost daily from age 5 on up in BJJ.

Now I'd go to jail for saying the wrong thing, less than 25 years and this state has gone from amazing to a complete shithole, but I still love the state.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#45]
Have noticed security guards at Fred Meyer - Greenwood in Seattle; some of them armed. I don’t know if they can do much. Last time I was there they were asking to see receipts upon exit. I was happy to comply- but maybe I’m naive.

Ventured in to downtown Seattle this past week- Nordstrom has multiple security guards, especially on the street level main floor, which has an assortment of high end designer boutiques. Some of them are armed; some are off-duty police officers. Ultimately, the customers are paying for them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Lynnwood is the same way and now the cancer is spreading to the other towns around it.

I now avoid that Fred Meyer in 196th but there isn't much where else to go.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:21:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: im_monster_man] [#47]
Originally Posted By sizzlin_bacon:The Bellingham area has those blue light trailers in a lot of parking lots.
View Quote

Do those things really record?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Never would fly today

We still have two here. Now the only arrests would be the person detaining the perp.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#49]
It's a sad state of affairs in this state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top