Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2024 12:32:12 PM EDT
My wife and I are officially no longer subjects of King Jelly Belly in the Worker's Paradise of Illinois. So now I need to find a place to shoot and hopefully some people to shoot with, within an hour of Hartsville.

While it's true that I'm a refugee of Illinois,  I'm a good, red-blooded Yankee that escaped to TN, really.

I mainly like shooting ARs and Glocks, I shoot other stuff as well. I have an LMT AR-10 that I have shot out to 640 yards.

I have some steel 2/3 IPSC targets that I like to set up a course of fire with and shoot against the clock. I haven't pulled the trigger on a live round in at least 18 months, so my first time or three out won't be pretty.

Any leads for a newcomer?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DMark] [#1]
Middle Tennessee Sporting Association

https://www.midtnsportingassociation.com/

Range is located at...

175 Dry Branch Rd
Dixon Springs, TN 37057

Just minutes from Hartsville.

Practiscore link for IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 2-gun matches.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/middle_tennessee_sporting_association

Benchrest and rimfire match info can be found on the MTSA website.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
welcome! Where at in IL?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JeepMP:
welcome! Where at in IL?
View Quote

Thanks. NW suburbs, Barrington to be exact. I'm so happy to be a former Illinois resident!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Stones river would about an hour.  Clarksville  is about an hour.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/firing-ranges.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Woodsman20:

View Quote

Yep, Stones river is my go to. (But it’s my like 10 min from the house lol.

Also, welcome to TN! From Vermont myself, went in the Navy, got out, and moved down here as I had family in the area. 30 years or so and I’m still here. I would never and will never move back north again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

To get the "Tier 1 status" would it be easier to get a concealed carry license or just do whatever it takes to get the tier one status?

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I'll have to see which one is closest to me and check it out. I will miss my old "home range"  the Racine County Line Rifle Club just a little north of the Cheddar Curtain. You have a lot of freedom there.

It will be great get out and shoot again, it's been way too long. Hopefully my 5.45 mags that won't run with Tula "poly coated" ammo will still work with 7N6.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By handyandy:

I'll have to see which one is closest to me and check it out. I will miss my old "home range"  the Racine County Line Rifle Club just a little north of the Cheddar Curtain. You have a lot of freedom there.

It will be great get out and shoot again, it's been way too long. Hopefully my 5.45 mags that won't run with Tula "poly coated" ammo will still work with 7N6.
View Quote

That’s funny! I used to have a membership to the Racine County Line Club. I got stationed in Wisconsin for a couple years when I was in the service. That was a neat rifle club.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Middle TN:  Fuck it, Strategic Edge range in Chapel Hill.  @Arowneragain knows all about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
OP - Next time you have some time off and know about it a few days in advance, we could meet over at Strategic Edge and show you around and do some shooting.

Chapel Hill is about 1:20 away from you.

Dead Zero is going to be about 1:40 from you.

And until you find something closer, you're more than welcomed to come here (my house) and shoot. Yeah, it's ~1;40 away, but I have various berms out to 500 yards. I realize the distance kills that as a long-term solution but it might help scratch the itch in the short term.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]

To get the "Tier 1 status" would it be easier to get a concealed carry license or just do whatever it takes to get the tier one status?

View Quote

Do you plan on carrying out of state?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to TN from another refugee from the great moral wasteland known as IL....

I've found many of the folks who are coming to TN are bringing very conservative values with them-there are a few lefties, but mostly folks who want to live in a free, conservative, moral state. TN is all that.

Can't help with the shooting areas, since I made sure to move someplace rural enough, and with enough land, to shoot off my deck. I can 'go to the range' in my slippers if the weather is right. :)

Larry
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
OP - Next time you have some time off and know about it a few days in advance, we could meet over at Strategic Edge and show you around and do some shooting.

And until you find something closer, you're more than welcomed to come here (my house) and shoot. Yeah, it's ~1;40 away, but I have various berms out to 500 yards. I realize the distance kills that as a long-term solution but it might help scratch the itch in the short term.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
My homies

Hey Merlin, I saw you posted about being over-run with hickory....... Is there any way I could
come over & saw a downed hickory up into lengths I need ? I don't need much, I just want
about half of my Tacoma's bed size..... I plan on using it for BBQ & I want to try some chunks larger
than what can be bought in bags from Homeless Depot..... & I want to try some longer thick
planks out

I had some set aside but my wife stole it for our wood-burning fireplace.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome. You have already got all the info but I will give another vote for Strategic Edge. A little bit of a drive but one of the nicer ranges in middle TN.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#16]
Originally Posted By jebsofnga: My homies Hey Merlin, I saw you posted about being over-run with hickory....... Is there any way I couldcome over & saw a downed hickory up into lengths I need ? I don''t need much, I just wantabout half of my Tacoma''s bed size..... I plan on using it for BBQ & I want to try some chunks largerthan what can be bought in bags from Homeless Depot..... & I want to try some longer thickplanks out I had some set aside but my wife stole it for our wood-burning fireplace.....
View Quote
If you want some BBQ smoking wood, here''s some that''s already dry and seasoned (the darker wood is Black Cherry, all the rest is Hickory; mostly Shagbark but some Bitternut):

If you want some Hickory lumber, do you have someone who will mill it for you?  My local saw miller (Eager Beaver - Harvest) won't mill Hickory or *I think* Pecan.  Too hard on the saw blades.  If you just want a couple short pieces, maybe we can use this:Either way, you're welcome to come and get a Hickory.  There are several trees I need to cull and I'm sure one of them will be a Hickory.  I just culled this Maple a couple days ago.  Heavy leaner, you can see it Barber-Chaired on me when falling.  

$10 says no one here will be able to figure out what was killing it:

LMK when.  Saturday and Sunday = Sunny, 66 and 72.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a lot of odds and ends to take care of at the new house, That will take up the next couple of weekends, after that I want to head to the range, I guess I'll start at the Strategic Edge, at an 1:20 from home it is the same distance as the RCLRC was. I was hoping for something closer, but whatever.

I want to see if 7N6 will work in my old C-products mags, the springs are shot and you can'tbuy replacement springs and normal AR mag springs are too wide. The Tula "poly coated" rounds won't work in them, too much friction. The Tula worked fine in a friend's AK-74, but the cheapass didn't want to buy the rest that I have.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Thanks for the invite! I wish I had enough land to shoot on, I'm jealous. We can set something up at Strategic Edge, maybe others can join us.

Perhaps we can have some TN Hometown Forum get togethers. For a while in the 2004-10 Era, the IL HTF was very active and had a lot of get togethers, some to shoot, others just to get together, BS and swap gear and parts. I would be happy to host one at my house but it would just be a BS/swap meet. I would like to get to know my fellow "firearms enthusiasts" in my new home state.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Larry1096:
Welcome to TN from another refugee from the great moral wasteland known as IL....

I've found many of the folks who are coming to TN are bringing very conservative values with them-there are a few lefties, but mostly folks who want to live in a free, conservative, moral state. TN is all that.

Can't help with the shooting areas, since I made sure to move someplace rural enough, and with enough land, to shoot off my deck. I can 'go to the range' in my slippers if the weather is right. :)

Larry
View Quote

I hope our fellow IL refugees want to come to TN to live and not make it like IL. I thought of starting a support group to educate the IL refugees that "the way we do it up north" doesn't fucking matter.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome home, out of all my duty stations this is my favorite and will be my last. You'll have to pull me out of Tennessee in a pine box

Lots of great people here, and plenty of public land for hunting and trapping if that's your thing.

The only piece of advice I have is to enjoy freedom and get a silencer on order while wait times are low, and talk to Merlin if you enjoy working with walnut

If you need anything or have questions don't be afraid to ask
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Merlin....... That woodshed is beautiful

Sounds awesome !!! My Dad is visiting this weekend & will probably leave Sunday
morning.....  I'll text you & let you know when I can be there....... I don't need much
hickory; Pretty much all I need can be cut with my Stihl chainsaw....

Thanks !!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Former FIB'er (IYKYK) here, also....

Welcome to the Republic of Shooting stuff!

Interestingly, I met the President of the new club I joined and he is a refugee from Massachusetts. Very pro 2A. I have a bud that retired from where I worked

and he retired to far eastern TN. He is a New Yorker that passionately loves guns. My siblings still live in IL (very pro 2A) and they are considering coming down when they retire.

I moved from IL to VA in 1996 and thought I would never have to be anywhere else.

Unfortunately, in just 20 years, it went from being pro 2A to becoming a Lib commie haven (the influx of NJ dems to NoVA was the worst).

Hopefully, all the transplants coming here, from wherever they came from, vote properly to Keep Tennessee, Tennessee!

Lastly,

Make sure you join the Tennessee Firearms Association.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks for the invite! I wish I had enough land to shoot on, I'm jealous. We can set something up at Strategic Edge, maybe others can join us.

Perhaps we can have some TN Hometown Forum get togethers. For a while in the 2004-10 Era, the IL HTF was very active and had a lot of get togethers, some to shoot, others just to get together, BS and swap gear and parts. I would be happy to host one at my house but it would just be a BS/swap meet. I would like to get to know my fellow "firearms enthusiasts" in my new home state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've scheduled two AL/TN GTGs at my farm; we conducted one and canceled the other.  Both times someone died.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe a third would break the spell?

I'd make the drive from Atoka just to shoot the breeze for a bit. I wouldn't mind pitching in for some smoked meat or whatever suits your fancy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#25]
We might want to see if arowneragain is up to a second meeting at his place this fall....
It's a good spot in the center of all of us it seems like..... I can do some smoking &
grilling again......
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Are you into this sort of stuff?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
Maybe a third would break the spell?

I'd make the drive from Atoka just to shoot the breeze for a bit. I wouldn't mind pitching in for some smoked meat or whatever suits your fancy.
View Quote

I second the third time is a charm sentiment. Every get together I've ever been to has been a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jebsofnga:

We might want to see if arowneragain is up to a second meeting at his place this fall....
It's a good spot in the center of all of us it seems like..... I can do some smoking &
grilling again......
View Quote

That would be great. ARowner and his wife are great people. They helped us find our place in Hartsville.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_3749_jpeg-3150646.JPG

Are you into this sort of stuff?
View Quote

I had a class 3 FFL back in the 80s. I wish I had never sold my Pre '86 Thompson. I can't afford that stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm late to the game, welcome

To bad you can't shoot at home, do you do the boat/exploring thing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not a boat guy, I'm looking for a old Dodge M37 to build up or a Jeep. You can never have too many expensive hobbies, that's what I say.

I want to explore the abandoned nuclear power plant. I understand they try to chase people away, but it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#32]
We have lots of lakes thanks TVA. So a pontoon boat can be a hobby
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bansil:
View Quote

The above statement is no longer operative. I can only afford one expensive hobby, so I'll have to limit myself to two, shooting and off-roading.

I can see where a party barge would be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#34]

The above statement is no longer operative. I can only afford one expensive hobby, so I'll have to limit myself to two, shooting and off-roading.

View All Quotes

A few pressure treated 2x6s, some rope, and some 55 gallon drums.  How is that expensive?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JPN:

A few pressure treated 2x6s, some rope, and some 55 gallon drums.  How is that expensive?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JPN:

This - being Tennessee man is a state of mind, like Florida man, but with more class.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]

This - being Tennessee man is a state of mind, like Florida man, but with more class.
View Quote

Something like this?

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Nailed it. I also foresee less jail time in your future
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Needs a steel drum cut in half to make a grill.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#39]

I had a class 3 FFL back in the 80s. I wish I had never sold my Pre '86 Thompson. I can't afford that stuff anymore.
View Quote
Too bad. It's at a museum.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Another option for a get together would be here at my place.  We're on 22 acres (arowneragain may or may not have been my realtor!) and I put in a nice range that we can shoot pistol or rifle on out to 100 yards.  Pics below.  I'm about as close to the geographic middle of the state as you can get, within a few miles.  We could set up the grill and do dogs and burgers (and beer, or whatever) after shooting, and if anyone is inclined to swim, we have a nice pool as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By kcobean:
Another option for a get together would be here at my place.  We're on 22 acres (arowneragain may or may not have been my realtor!) and I put in a nice range that we can shoot pistol or rifle on out to 100 yards.  Pics below.  I'm about as close to the geographic middle of the state as you can get, within a few miles.  We could set up the grill and do dogs and burgers (and beer, or whatever) after shooting, and if anyone is inclined to swim, we have a nice pool as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_3710_jpg-3164630.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_3706_jpg-3164631.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_2819_PNG-3164632.JPG
View Quote

I'm inclined to help make a donation for food if this gets off the ground, this is very generous of you
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_3710_jpg-3164630.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_3706_jpg-3164631.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82768/IMG_2819_PNG-3164632.JPG
View Quote

It looks like you have a fancy place complete with the cement pond. Do you allow the poors on your property? I'm all for it, and as the Beaver said, I'd be happy to kick in some money for overhead.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#43]

It looks like you have a fancy place complete with the cement pond. Do you allow the poors on your property? I'm all for it, and as the Beaver said, I'd be happy to kick in some money for overhead.

View Quote

Cement pond...LOL!  Hey, if this bunch can agree on a date, let's do it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#44]
It's your place, so it only seems fair that you would volunteer a date first and we can argue over it 87 times.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: romad99] [#45]
Welcome!  If you ever wanna come shoot suppressors, blast away with my 22LR machine gun, and watch my dog chase our chickens hit me up.  We live between south of Clarksville.

We can probably get @DoubleARon and @TheBeaverRetriever to join us.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#46]
It's your place, so it only seems fair that you would volunteer a date first and we can argue over it 87 times.
View Quote

Fair enough.

I’ll throw out two dates, let’s see who bites.

June 22nd

July 20th

Both are Saturdays.  June might be better as it won’t be quite so hot, but I’m down for whatever.  We can set up canopies at the range for shade,  I have a few of them.  Not with Arfcom specifically, but we have done this a few times here.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Dang, I’m working both of those weekends.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Got any openings where we could pull in a helo pilot not on duty? He's still got my cans in jail

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Got any openings where we could pull in a helo pilot not on duty? He's still got my cans in jail

View Quote

As a former helo crew-chief, aviation guys are welcome, especially if they bring a helo and aerial gunnery is offered.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#50]

As a former helo crew-chief, aviation guys are welcome, especially if they bring a helo and aerial gunnery is offered.  
View All Quotes

I wish.  Best I can do is some Air Evac stickers.  Maybe…😂😂😂
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top