Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2024 8:29:59 AM EDT
Good luck to all of the youth turkey hunters and mentors tomorrow. Seems like lots of coyotes on the trail cameras.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I was curious if there would be a post about turkey hunting.   I walked the Ice Age Trail north of Holy Hill, then backtracked to the loop around Holy Hill.

The turkey hunting world has changed. I saw two hens in the ditch at different locations driving to the Parking Lot at the end of Stations Way.  

On my walk... not a singer gobble was heard.  Nothing.  Back in time, there was always a hot wayward Tom that would gobble mid morning

~4 hours on the trail, 805am to 11:56am.

I miss the early 1990s. I was spoiled. 5th season was still productive. I hope those who have tags score. It's so much fun!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#3]
I hunt zone 7 up north. Struck out on the tag drawing this year (applied for C & D), but scored 1 of the 218 leftovers for (F) 6th season... better than nothing I guess, and I have a pref point for next year. 1 point is usually good enough for the time period you want. I never apply for A / 1st season up north. I learned that lesson the hard way. If the snow has melted enough by mid April that you don't need snow shoes to get off a road and into the woods, by then the woods roads are impassible mud holes. 2nd season isn't much better for access. It's usually when the weather does it's dramatic shift. Heavy jacket one day, t-shirt the next. I've hunted 2nd in a white t-shirt & painters pants as makeshift camo, in 65 degrees but in calf deep snow. 3rd & 4th are the prime weeks this far north. 5th & 6th aren't too bad weather wise, if you don't mind the skeeters & ticks. This year is the rare exception. IRRC, 2010 was the last 100% snowless 1st week of turkey season here.

I also have a tag for the U.P., as I like their season structure better. My tag is good from April 20th to May 31st, all 6 weeks, for the entire upper peninsula. There's more birds up there than there is here. Last September, on a drive to my daughter's house north of L'Anse, wife & I counted 23 turkeys along the road in the 100 mile drive. Further north we got, the more numerous they were. Weird.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
seems like the population is on a uptick....

saw about 1/2 dozen dead birds on the road today.
Have seen one here and there around the house this spring.
Have heard them gobbling on and off.

All better than last year...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top